Sponsored by:

Roof Top Cargo Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Roof Top Cargo Carrier

After putting another 700 mile off-road adventure with my two oldest boys behind me, I realize I need more room! My wife and daughter want to come now!

I want to get the largest, heaviest duty roof-top mounted "basket" style carrier I can, preferably one that mounts to the factory side-rails.

I have searched here in the archives, and surfed the web etc., but as usual want even more input.

Any opinions/ideas/experiences out there? Favorite venders/manufacturers?

Thanks

Quietman
www.roenation.com

Old 05-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Fuzzleak
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Yakima or Thule brands. I believe there are threads on this question.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you think that you could live with something that goes on the hitch instead? You can get a hitch carrier that has a rising hitch so as not to remove any departure clearance.

I just think that 1. it'll be easier to load/unload and 2. not raise your center of gravity.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 AM
quietman
Tuned

Monsta i have looked into the hitch carriers. Pretty cool, and a LOT cheaper. Also saw a front mounted hitche that can serve as a hard point, but you lose your foglights...

So far I like the 'Surco Safari Rack" 50"X84" and mounts to stock side-rails, $415.85 delivered. A bit more with the shovel/axe carrier adapter (gotta have it) ;-)

quietman
www.roenation.com

Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Hello
Senior User
That's nice! Now you have to bring a ladder!
I'm going to be sleeping in mine next week.
BTw it's great to bring the cook along!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:38 AM
omnimax
Senior User
Airflow to the radiator might be another consideration with a front hitch mounted rack.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a rocket box that I had to use all the time with my Suburban, but seldom use with the Excursion. It is handy when needed though. Go heavy duty with what ever you decide.
Pat

Old 05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
GeoQwest
Senior User
Be afraid!

Be careful using the stock rails!

I run a steel telescoping Safari rack that not only was a great buy but has proven stronger than the Excursion.

The stock framerails...at least the last foot or so are not mounted in any structural member of the roof. They are simply pressure fitted into the sheet metal. If you pull dwn the rear of the roof liner to the shoulder belt bolts, you'll see what I mean.

I had the spare tire up there near the back. I came around a corner on a logging road and launched into a minefield of potholes. The rack with the weight of the tire ripped the stock rails right out of the roof. $1200 later, I now put only bulky lightweight stuff up there in waterproof kayak bags.

You might be able to see the rack on my website at http://www.geoqwestexcursions.com/ge...ontheroad.html or in the gallery here.

Last edited by GeoQwest; 05-18-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
quietman
Tuned
good info!

I wa already concerned with that very issue, and not inclined to put anything really heavy up there, like a spare. I am more interested in stowing bulky annoying stuff like sleeping bags.

I had pretty much decided on the Safari by Surco, when friend who works at Four wheel parts wholesalers suggested I check out the products at Conferr...

I called them and they were unsure if the racks were the same from '03 to '05....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

quietman
www.roenation.com

Old 05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
454Skratch
New User
You could also look at the stuff from Garvin
http://www.garvin-industries.com/
That;s what I ordered for my Burb and will be getting for my Ex as well.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 AM
quietman
Tuned
Good info!

I was just at the local 4X4 shop next to the Allen tire where i am getting double shocks put on the front of my ex...NEED THEM!

Anyway they turned me on to the wilderness system (Garvin) racks, and it looks like I prolly' will go with them now.

ain't i fickle? :-)

quietman
www.roenation.com

Old 05-21-2005, 11:43 PM
454Skratch
New User
You won't regret it.
They are really HD units.
The one on my Burb has doubled as a deck before when we're out.
I don't have any lights on it yet, but plan on getting some more Hella floods for the sides and a couple more Rally 4000's for the front.
I owuld have gotten the shovel and ax mount, but I'm not that tall and reaching that high for them when they can just as easily go in back didn't make sense to me on this truck.

I'll most likely setup on the one for my Ex the same way when I get the chance.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 PM
crjackson
Senior User
I really like my Yakima setup, but if I could change things, I would go heavier duty and lower profile. On top of the lift kit, it's 8' 2" to the top of the X.

Only 1 mishap due to weakness, but 1 is all it takes: on the road to Eureka dunes from Lone Pine, 4 of the 6 posts holding the rack came loose. I had to zip tie and duct tape it together until I reached civization! Granted, I had the spare and about 300 lbs of gear - exceeding the recommeded weight limit. Always go stronger than you think you need!

Do you think the Garvin is stronger? I've been thinking of offing the Yakima and going with Conferr, but I keep hearing about the Garvin.

Last edited by crjackson; 05-25-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
454Skratch
New User
The Garvin design is stronger.
I wouldn't use the factory rails with a real cargo basket anyway.
If you're gonna do it, do it right and drill the holes in the roof and mount up a sturdy basket.
The Yakima is nice, don't get me wrong, but it was never designed for hauling heavy loads like full size spares and such.
My buddy has a Yakima on his 4Runner, and it is great for small loads, skis, bikes . . . but I wouldn't put the kinda stuff in it that I toss on the roof of my Burb, and plan to toss on my Ex.
The Garvin ones hold up to 500lbs (their limit) but I've had much more on mine and I have seen them loaded with much much more using the plate mounts.
I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to drill holes in your roof or not.
I know Garvins standard Ex rack uses the stock rails, I plan on doing like my Burb and using the plates as they provide a more secure mount and spread the load better.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
saz2686
Senior User
I really want to get a cargo basket but now im a little scared of ripping the factory rails off. I want to carry my canoe on the roof and I thought this may be an ideal way to get it up off the roof. Is this gonna be a problem? Can anyone tell me how surco's mounting system works out? I am leaning heavily towards this brand GoFastParts.com|Ford Excursion Safari Cargo Rack All Years - : Surco S5084 \ CH100-2. I know thule makes a canoe/kayak "V" rack, But I would like the basket for extra cargo storage too. I just want this to work out right, I already called and confirmed the order comes with the proper mounting brackets. Thanks for any input

Quick Reply: Roof Top Cargo Carrier