Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Careers and Networking... never know...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:23 PM
automaticj5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Careers and Networking... never know...

I was just sittin here wondering what everyone does. Networking is huge and can help just about anyone in any career. So I say why not start a thread that kinda tells about what we all do for a living, may help some people out, may not...

My full-time job is Sales Exec. for Shred-It Corporation. We do onsite document destruction. Basically take care of companies sensitive documents no matter what the paper flow is.

I also do real estate on the side right now, eventually it will become my full-time job. So let me know if you need a place!

Paul Ventimiglia

Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Mach1fan
Junior User
I am a Graphic Designer for Keller Crescent Company advertising/printing in Evansville. We're the largest ad agency in Indiana and one of the largest in the nation. We are also one of the largest printers in the state. We are unusual in that we can handle everything from concept to finished product under one roof. TV/Radio/Print/Packaging/Ad Buys/Market research/PR etc. Most ad agencies and print shops do one of the above.

A little trivia, we lease our soundstage for taping of "My Classic Car with Dennis Gage".

I've been a KC employee since 1985. I've been in advertising design since 1981.

Check out "The Logo" thread.

Dave

Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
snowfighter
Elder User
I am an electronic tech for a defense contractor I work on a program that searches for subs underwater.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 AM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm an out-of-work plastics professional

I've worked as a mold and product designer fo 12 years. 10 years were for a small design firm, and the last two years have been doing contract work for various companies.
I'm trying to find another full-time job, but the plastics industry has all but died around here.
I am trying to get my foot in the door at an architectural firm and start a new career in that field.

I have many contacts in Indiana industry, especially plastic molders and mold and tool shops.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 AM
alhersch
Junior User
I am a contract tech, woooo hooo. I test airbag sensors and the controllers for Dephi. I do not get to see the airbags deploy sadly, just see the current go up then back down on the scope. Dunno how much longer I can do this an not get bored to death... Hopefully I can pass the apprenticeship testing next week, and get in or my foot in the door somewhere and get a better career job.

Alan

Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mach1fan
A little trivia, we lease our soundstage for taping of "My Classic Car with Dennis Gage".
Dave
I really like that show. One of the few car shows around that I can sit and watch with my kids and not have to cringe as the language gets saltier and saltier.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
cpe41
Senior User
I'm a Service Manager/Service Technician at a New Holland/Bobcat Equipment dealer. I'm a tech by choice (for now..)...not so much choice being the Service Manager. The job got dumped on me when the last SM quit. I hate it, despise it, and want out of it. The store's owner and the General Manager are well of my displeasure, but seem to be doing nothing about it...despite the promises they made a couple of months ago.

After 16 years in this shop I have mixed emotions about leaving, but I really don't think I'll feel good about what I do for about 50 hours a week if I stay. If I'd stumble across the right opportunity I think I'd be "outta there". Too bad there aren't any restoration or hot rod-type shops around here. I'd love to get away from the "general repair" type of work and get more into the "building" aspect.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:35 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a Branch Manager for a Propane Equipment Dist in Indy. I have worked in this industry since 1976. We sell the equipment the gas dealer needs to do his job.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Originally Posted by gasman6674
I am a Branch Manager for a Propane Equipment Dist in Indy.
That's a relief. By your screen name I was afraid you were constantly breaking wind.
(With your experience in the field, you've probably heard a million smart aleck comments. Certainly did not mean to offend.)

By the way: I work in the fields of Alcohol and Drug prevention, and I work with DUI offenders in Illinois.

Last edited by ChurchTurtle; 06-29-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you talk to my wife.....

Old 06-30-2005, 06:06 PM
whowey
Senior User
I'm the warehouse manager/foreman for the largest distributor of concrete construction hardware/chemicals in the world. I also get the job of teaching people forklift safety/operation. I have been in the construction field for 13 years. I would love to find something with more manager, and less foreman. Don't know if I could ever really 'adjust' to a place with just a steady flow, I really love spring when things get unbelievably hectic, and fall when everyone is scrambling to get things done before winter.

To which ever member was in plastics. My wife and I just had some friends relocate to Florida, because the plastics industry was completely dead in the entire Midwest. The only places they found jobs were in either CA, or FL/GA border area. They couldn't stand the politics in CA.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Been at my new job at Productive Resources for 3 weeks now. We're a contract engineering and drafting firm with almost 90 employees. So far so good, but all I've been doing is training stuff until my project gets taken off hold, which is hopefully tomorrow.