Anyone had their lifted truck ticketed and/or impounded? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Anyone had their lifted truck ticketed and/or impounded?

Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Postmaster

Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.
Anyone had their lifted truck ticketed and/or impounded?

I have some concerns on driving a vehicle that may be legal in AZ and may be illegally lifted in a different state, say CA.

Anyone with experience with lifted trucks and/or law enforcement, will the police warn, ticket, cite or impound a truck whose frame/headlights/bumpers are too high?

Can they issue a repair order?

Will they leave me alone?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Elder User

iskybantilus is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your legal in your state of registration, then i dont see how another state can give you trouble for that.

Closest comparison i can think of is that apparently florida allows tint on front windows, and if you move up here and try to get it inspected, any tint on front windows will get you in trouble in jersey..... but if your driving through with florida tags, i dont think they can do anything to you.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Postmaster

Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.
I just joined another forum officer.com and started asking the same questions and they all say lifted vehicle over 4" are completely unsafe and can and will be impounded!

I know there are law enforcement officers on this forum, what's your take?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Elder User

fn250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How tall is your lift? In California there isn't a set limit to lifting your truck. I called CHP in Jan before ordering my lift, and I was told your headlights had to be between 22 and 54" inches. They never mentioned anything about frame height. After doing some investigating, I found that on for vehicles in the category of 7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR - frame height on the lowest point of the vehicle is 31 inches.

you can find California lift laws details here http://www.streetlegallaws.com/california_lift_laws.htm

On side note I've seen some extremely tall trucks. A buddy of mine has an SD with 16" on 44s I believe. The one thing he told me was he usually got busted for mudd flaps. Never once busted for frame height or headlights, but rather petty fix it ticket for mudd flaps.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Elder User

wolffee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know down here in South Florida i hang out with alot of guys with lifted trucks.. My best bud has a truck with about 16'' of lift between spring and body and he has 44's belive.. He has never had anyone say anything to him about it and he is only 1 of a few friends that have trucks as high or a little shorter. I do know though that for example up north a few hours in like Winter Haven Florida(central FL) i have been ther a few times and they dont bother you for the lift as long as you leave the bar up front thats behind the bumper.. I dont know its name but a few years ago they started putting this bar on trucks and big SUV's behind the bumper near the bottom to keep little cars from sliding underneath in an accident. According to them you have to leave this bar in place or that causes a problom that and the mud flaps . but hey if you do get stopped wich there is a first for anything you gotta pay to play.. :-)

ryan
Old 05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Elder User

fn250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customz
I just joined another forum officer.com and started asking the same questions and they all say lifted vehicle over 4" are completely unsafe and can and will be impounded!

I know there are law enforcement officers on this forum, what's your take?
I think thats just internet babble. I live two blocks from my local police department, and I know a couple of the officers from the station. I've never been hassled, and in fact I've been complimented. Of course my truck isn't really that tall, but it is lifted 6".
Old 05-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Elder User

t_j82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fn250
How tall is your lift? In California there isn't a set limit to lifting your truck. I called CHP in Jan before ordering my lift, and I was told your headlights had to be between 22 and 54" inches. They never mentioned anything about frame height. After doing some investigating, I found that on for vehicles in the category of 7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR - frame height on the lowest point of the vehicle is 31 inches.

you can find California lift laws details here http://www.customtruckshowcase.com/laws/California.html

On side note I've seen some extremely tall trucks. A buddy of mine has an SD with 16" on 44s I believe. The one thing he told me was he usually got busted for mudd flaps. Never once busted for frame height or headlights, but rather petty fix it ticket for mudd flaps.
This may be true but what they didn't tell you is the vehicle code section that states that it is illegal to alter the center of gravity of a vehicle which was used on a friend while I was standing there. It was a section that was buried in the CVC and took the cop about 45 mins to find. As a side note, CVC sec 27152 says: The exhaust gases from a motor vehicle shall not be directed to the side of the vehicle between 2 feet and 11 feet above the ground..

All I can add is that if a cop in CA wants to write you he has many options to do so and I have seen them spend a lot of time looking in the CVC to do so.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior User

s2gots is starting off with a positive reputation.
It all depends on the cop...My truck now has 8" of lift, and the tires dont really stick out to much...I used to have a chebby with about the same heigth lift, but I had 38x15.5 tires on 12 inch wide wheels, so the tires stuck out quite a bit. I always got my chops busted because of my tires...I mean at least once a week...until I got mudflaps...After that, they didnt even take a second look at me....For the most part, I dont think its the height of the lift, but what other factors are involved that might make something unsafe, im my case, it was the tires that stuck out too much for the cops......
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Senior User

sdpj is starting off with a positive reputation.
used to live in florida (panama city aka redneck riviera) have 8 inches and 38's on my psd, got a ticket for being 1 inch to high at the bumpers, 2 days after i had the install. never had a problem again, guess that cop was bored. moved to idaho and been pulled over twice for not having mud flaps, finally broke down and got some 24 by 24's, now theres no worry about being pulled over.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Senior User

hc130flyboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am stationed in Tucson Arizona, I got nabbed one night for not having mud flaps. Next week I went on vacation to my home state of Texas, and registered the truck there! Now When Driving I notice police officers look at my truck and actually had one look then speed up to see the front. I think he saw the TX plate and didnt bother. Im not sure how all this stuff works, I have heard that they can ticket you for not being 50 state compliant but Oh well, Ill take my chances.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Senior User

sdpj is starting off with a positive reputation.
i guess in idaho they dont care where your vehicle is registered.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Elder User

SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have been driving lifted trucks in California for many years. I have very rarely been pulled over for modifications, and never ticketed for anything. My current truck has 8" of lift on 38x15.50x18 tires and wheels, and is quite noticeable. I recently was pulled over by a very uninformed female police officer in a nearby city, and she asked me if I had notified the DMV of the modifications to my vehicle that were obviously not performed by the dealer, so that I could pay "use tax" on the truck! I informed her that everytime I purchased parts I paid state sales tax on the items, and that there was in all actuality no other tax required. She handed back my license and said she wasn't going to argue with me.... On another note, I have lifted several SD's and Chevrolet HD's for local Sherriff's officers and local Police Department officers, lifts ranging from 6-12 inches, while still maintaining CA legal frame and headlight height, even though these guys didn't seem too concerned anyway.

Tim
Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Senior User

Bossman7121 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We had a big issue down on South Beach with guys and their train horns, which lead to selective type enforcement of all lifted trucks. I was stopped by an officer who lives in a building I was working in, and whose area includes the building, and who sees me and my truck daily. I had him a little confused as to which staute actually applies to my truck. HE was quoting the manualyy for vehicles up to 5,000 lbs. Since mine is 8,800, he didn;t know the limits, and didn't write anything. Actually wound up become friendly with him, but a little concerned so I asked a friend who is a moto cop and DOT expert. He said if it happens again, tell the cop the vehicle is over 5,000 lbs. If he writes it according to that statue, the judge will have to throw it out b/c it does not apply. Seems we are in a grey area with these truck's as to bumper heights as long as they are not commercial. Then rear crash guards like those on a semi- trailer need to be installed, but the height is not problem. No problems since.

Bossman
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
New User

Fridgecritter is starting off with a positive reputation.
California law

I can tell you as a Sheriff Deputy in California, that you can go 10 years without a ticket, and one day you drive by the officer who is looking for a specific offense, or has brushed up on the vehicle code, and you will get a ticket.

The headlights is a common one. Your headlights must not be over 54 inches off the ground. Plain and simple. There are no weights taken into consideration for this section.

The other common one is mud flaps. The mud flap section is very vague. It simply states that you must provide adequate protection to the rear of your vehicle to protect other vehicles from flying objects from your tire. This leaves it up to the officer to decide what is "adequate". There is no set measurement. This code section also does not specify that it is only the rear tires that have to have mud flaps. Keep in mind that the same section applies to fender flares, and is just as vague as the mud flap description and criteria.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Elder User

rickf92592 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll probably get bashed for this.................

How many who don't run mud flaps cry like a schoolgirl when a semi flips a stone up into their windshield or paint?

I think we need to consider our fellow motorists.