Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
n8mojo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Column...

Hi,

I have lots of slop (about a half inch in every direction) in my steering sheel. This is on a 1995 F150 (2x2) --- I have an auto shifter on the column, a tilt mechanism, and air bags. The tilt works fine, and is solid at that point, but the column definitely is loose. It doesn't affect the steering (beyond annoyance), so I'm guessing it's related to the column and a bushing or something. Also, months before it got loose, I heard like a crunchy sound when turning.... and sometimes while turning it would sort of 'hang up' and not return to center without assistance.

Ideas? I bought the stupid haynes manual, and all they say for the steering wheel removal is "if you have airbags, take it into the shop" ---thanks Haynes! Good thing they plastic wrapped the book so I had to buy it first to find that out.

..Nate

Old 12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, column slop sucks.

There are rebuild kits which include several bearings and some other parts, and you can remove it, and rebuild it on your own without a press. A wooden dowel and a ballpeen hammer will do a nice job of getting the bearings in, and out. Kit available from Ford, of course. Its not a NAPA item.

Another option is to replace the column with a junkyard column. The 92-96 columns are identical to identical year Ford full size cars, so since you have a 95 truck, you can use a 95 Town Car, Crown Vic or Marquis column if you wish. Those have tilt, air bags, etc. I actually added tilt wheel this way in my 93 F350... swapped over a 94 Town Car Column.

You want the same year (or newer) column from a car, because the connectors for the ignition switch will be the same. If they aren't the same because you mixed years, you can swap your ignition switch for the one on the donor column, two Torx screws and you're done. I had to do this as well.

The airbag is actually not a big deal to monkey with... at the base of the column you disconnect the airbag connector, and it automatically shorts the two airbag leads within the column. Then you can undo the airbag pad from behind the steering wheel, and remove it.

You have a lot of junkyard options here, actually. I left the town car steering wheel in, I liked it better since its red and matches my interior, and is leather wrapped. Much nicer to drive than hard plastic like my original one. I did remove the airbag, and put the plastic cover back over the airbag mounting plate, and screwed it back into the town car steering wheel, since my 93 does not have the wiring for airbags. Didn't need a disconnected airbag near my face.

Let me know if you need help with this... i've done this on several vehicles and there is a lot of interchange.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frederic do you know if a 88 will interchange with a car?

Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Usually not...

The truck columns used to be simpler, longer columns whereas the cars went to shorter "stubby" columns earlier on. Somewhere in the 91 to 92 year range, trucks started getting stubby columns like the car, probably to cut down on manufacturing costs. The more stuff that is the same across many vehicles, the cheaper it is for the manufacturer.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
L.SAID
New User
My 90 f250 was just fine till I put the key in the other day and the tilt steering column just "fell". I haven't had this happen before. Its been a little stiff in turning, but thats all. Any suggestions? I can't get my big hands and fingers in all thoses little places, Would it just be easier to get another column from the junk yard, and what model would fit?
Thanks for any info

Old 07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
hovey30
Junior User
Steering problems.

It seems that there is a great deal of trouble with these tilt wheels. I just finished repairing my woobley steering wheel. It's not that bad a job. I purchased a repair kit from my Ford dealer but I also needed the bearing which isn't included in the kit. You will need a 2 1/4" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and a steering wheel puller. The instructions were included in the kit.