Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 Dash light bulb replacement

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM
caedo
Senior User
caedo has a good reputation on FTE.caedo has a good reputation on FTE.

Did I order the wrong bulbs? This was about the extent of SuperBrightLED's selection and I ordered all of them to see if I could get anything to work, but alas, none of them worked for any of the sockets or circuitboard holes. Please help haha

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
LurkerX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
...also you will have 4 194 bulbs for the main instruments, and ONE 37/74(or similar) mini bulbs that will supply light to the top section (11, 12 and 1) positions of the speedo on these trucks,
Wow... Really?
In the post above, I have a big, fat picture with the illumination bulbs circled - and I even spelled out "(5) 194s and (1) #37" in the bulb inventory.
I don't even know what to say...
It'd **** me off though, to go the the store and pick up 2 - 2 packs, or order 4 bulbs (LEDs), and then be one short with my dash pulled out.

There are 5...
FIVE 194 bulbs, and one #37 bulb that illuminate the dash.

Originally Posted by MoBill122 View Post
Looking at doing this next week. Was wondering what people used to clean the plastic clear facing on the cluster. My truck is a 2001.... many years of dirt & grud.... anyone got a suggestion ?
Regular Windex or 25% Super Clean is a good start.
I had spots on mine that would not come off, even after letting the cleaners soak. I used the final stage polish from a headlight restore kit that I had laying around to get the spots off.
Looked new when I put it back in.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
Originally Posted by caedo View Post
Did I order the wrong bulbs? This was about the extent of SuperBrightLED's selection and I ordered all of them to see if I could get anything to work, but alas, none of them worked for any of the sockets or circuitboard holes. Please help haha

I don't know anything about the B8 bulbs. I remember looking at them when I intended to change all of my indicators to LED, but the whole B8 numbering scheme confused me.
I then decided to leave the indicators incandescent (they work, no ghosting, not too bright, not too dim, etc), and just got LED for illumination.

But, from a technical standpoint, the 194s and 74s you have should work.
Could you have been incredibly unlucky and put them ALL in backwards?
And, are they rated for 12V? Seems there were a lot 6.5V LEDs that popped up when I searched for mine. I think they were for pinball machines...
If you get too low a voltage, the LED will blow immediately; and too high a voltage, it will never light up.

FWIW: On the dash, all of the 194 sockets have the (+) at the top of the socket. It's really very convenient, actually.
I got both my 194s and the #37 (actually a #74 replacement) all from FleaBay. I was able to find "frosted" topped bulbs, much like the Sylvania 194 LED.

Sylvania basic 194 LED
I tried the Sylvanias first, and though they had good, even lighting - they were way, way, WAY too bright.

I found something that looked like this (as best I can remember)...

Generic Frosted top 194 LED.

They had them in all of the basic colors, and had the matching #74 LEDs.

I bought all of the colors, but only installed the white... and never tried any of the other colors.
TBH, I don't even know where they are, now. I just checked my bulb stash in the shop, and they aren't there...

Old 05-16-2018, 10:31 PM
caedo
Senior User
I was confused by the B8 bulbs too. Then again I don't really understand regular bulb numbering either. Regardless, it wasn't that they didn't illuminate, but rather they were simply not the right size. The 194s were bigger than the illumination and the 74s were smaller than illumination but bigger than the indicator bulbs (I think, this was like a month ago and I didn't think to take pictures. None of the twist lok sockets that the bulbs came with fit their respective holes either.... So I'm thinking I have a different dash or something wonky is up.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
02 and Up Dash is Different

The 194s were bigger than the illumination and the 74s were smaller than illumination but bigger than the indicator bulbs.... So I'm thinking I have a different dash or something wonky is up.
I'd been wondering about this. The 02 and up dash is different.
First, I know the shift indicator is fluorescent.
Second, I know that a trans temp gauge was added.
It's been so long since I had an 02/03 7.3, I can't think of anything else...

I never would have thought they would have changed the bulbs.
But, that was said earlier in this thread, but no cogent response (post #39, I just went back and found it).

And, I just looked at Sylvania's bulb guide:
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

The few indicators they list for the 02 are PC74 (slightly hotter than the #37)
And, they list the dash illumination as PC194... that's still a 194.

I don't know what to say.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
None of the twist lok sockets that the bulbs came with fit their respective holes either.... So I'm thinking I have a different dash or something wonky is up.
I just caught this.
Did you try switching the sockets?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
I just caught this.
Did you try switching the sockets?
Yeah man, i tried everything. I think i'm going to take out one of each size and send them to SuperBright to see if they can identify and match. That would be neat.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 AM
LurkerX
Freshman User
I think i'm going to take out one of each size and send them to SuperBright to see if they can identify and match.
Someone has already done this... they just need to share.

I saved this video back when I first started thinking about putting LEDs in the cluster.
It's an 02 dash...
There's no info in it, but the company is PI-Clusters. I got their phone number from somewhere... 832-332-3189.
That's from a few years ago. May not be any good anymore.

A little bit of Googling did find Dash LED kits run from 99-01, and then from 02-04.
However, the B8.4 bulb did pop up a few times for the 02-04. And that is one of the bulbs you said you tried.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 AM
truckeemtnfords
Posting Guru
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
Lurker,
Though you provide good info you don't say what year dash you are posting info for and all the years are not the same. I know for fact my '02 dash is not like the one you posted. So do everybody a favor list your truck in a signature so we all know what you are talking about and a putting a name in it is nice too, as this is a very personable site and I for one hate using a screen name.

Thanks
Dave

Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Wow... Really?
In the post above, I have a big, fat picture with the illumination bulbs circled - and I even spelled out "(5) 194s and (1) #37" in the bulb inventory.
I don't even know what to say...
It'd **** me off though, to go the the store and pick up 2 - 2 packs, or order 4 bulbs (LEDs), and then be one short with my dash pulled out.

There are 5...
FIVE 194 bulbs, and one #37 bulb that illuminate the dash.

Regular Windex or 25% Super Clean is a good start.
I had spots on mine that would not come off, even after letting the cleaners soak. I used the final stage polish from a headlight restore kit that I had laying around to get the spots off.
Looked new when I put it back in.

sorry there are 5, I typoed by mistake hitting 4 instead of 5, my bad, and on my truck there is one small 37 sized bulb that illuminates the top part of the speedo part of my cluster, not sure about why the design was made but meh, next time I need to extract the cluster I will try to post a picture of my cluster.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords View Post
Lurker,
Though you provide good info you don't say what year dash you are posting info for and all the years are not the same. I know for fact my '02 dash is not like the one you posted. So do everybody a favor list your truck in a signature so we all know what you are talking about...
You are correct. I did not ever dream the 02-04 would have different illumination bulbs than the 99-01. Though, Caedo and I discussed just that last night...
A little bit of Googling did find Dash LED kits run from 99-01, and then from 02-04.
All of mine are 01s. Not intentional - it just worked out that way.
01 CC LWB RWD dually, 01 F-350 SRW 4WD SWB, and 01 RWD Excursion.

I'm pretty sure that pic of the cluster was the Excursion. I've done the dash on it and the dually.

Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords View Post
...and a putting a name in it is nice too, as this is a very personable site and I for one hate using a screen name.

Thanks
Dave
Sorry... there are a few things I don't do.
I do not give out my cell phone to anyone who is not family, or may as well be family - and, I do not use my real name on the inter-webs.

Excuse me while I adjust my tin-foil hat...

Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
sorry there are 5, I typoed by mistake hitting 4 instead of 5, my bad...
LoL - I may have over-replied a bit. Excuse me while I finish cleaning the bloody spot on the wall...

...and on my truck there is one small 37 sized bulb that illuminates the top part of the speedo part of my cluster, not sure about why the design was made but meh...
If you look inside the cluster, you will notice there are light guides above all of the 194 sockets. The #37 used for illumination doesn't have a light guide.
So, less need for illumination = lower wattage bulb.

...next time I need to extract the cluster I will try to post a picture of my cluster.
It will look identical to the picture I posted, with the possible exception of the FUEL RESET indicator.

If your FUEL RESET is socketed, I would want to know if your truck was Canadian or Mexico build...

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
LoL - I may have over-replied a bit. Excuse me while I finish cleaning the bloody spot on the wall...

If you look inside the cluster, you will notice there are light guides above all of the 194 sockets. The #37 used for illumination doesn't have a light guide.
So, less need for illumination = lower wattage bulb.

It will look identical to the picture I posted, with the possible exception of the FUEL RESET indicator.

If your FUEL RESET is socketed, I would want to know if your truck was Canadian or Mexico build...
my truck does have the fuel reset lamp (it works) Iíll have to check but iirc it was made at the KTP in Louisville my truck is an E99 if that makes any difference

Old 05-19-2018, 10:17 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
my truck does have the fuel reset lamp (it works)
Tell me more...
Does yours flash, (like what I've been reading) - or did you trip the inertial switch (like what I think it's supposed to be for)?

Iíll have to check but iirc it was made at the KTP in Louisville my truck is an E99 if that makes any difference
Both probably make a difference. But, I don't have enough pieces to guess why at this point.
Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't change the dash in 99. They changed so much other stuff.
I still can't get over they changed the illumination lights in 02... SMH

Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
My FRL is steady burn, illuminated when the inertia switch is triggered

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F250 Dash light bulb replacement

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.