Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 Dash light bulb replacement

Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brad5150 View Post
I went and bought led bulbs for my 2002 f250 only to find out that my instrument panel doesn't have any bulbs in it that were 194 bulbs. I wanted to replace them all at once but can't find the right part numbers for the warning light's. But all of the illumination lights are 74 or pc74 bulbs. The warning light's are almost the same just a hair smaller. Any ideas? has anyone else has had this issue?
Did you figure the bulb sizes out?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
Did you figure the bulb sizes out?
can't answer this, but for anyone who for what ever reason don't have the 194 bulbs they should use 74 sized LEDs (wide angled LEDs)

Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 AM
ETSM
New User
ETSM is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a early 1999 F250 4 x 4 PSD

I was having problems with my dash illumination bulbs going out one at a time. As for bulbsizes I purchase a 10 pack of 194's with the plastic holders from orielly auto . My early 99 model had five 194 bulbs and one 74 bulb for illumination. I Onlychanged the five 194 bulbs shown in photo with the black circles. The 74 bulb shown with the yellow circle was not replaced. All other warning lightbulbs seem to be 74 also (see photo).

Sent from MobileMe
www.apple.com

Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 AM
ETSM
New User
im sorry but I cant seem to post photo!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
ETSM
New User
I have a early 1999 F250 4 x 4 PSD

I was having problems with my dash illumination bulbs going out one at a time. As for bulbsizes I purchase a 10 pack of 194's with the plastic holders from orielly auto . My early 99 model had five 194 bulbs and one 74 bulb for illumination. I Only changed the five 194 bulbs shown in photo with the black holders & red circles. The 74 bulb shown with the yellow circle was not replaced. All other warning light bulbs seem to be 74 also (see photo).

Sent from MobileMe
www.apple.com

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
ETSM
New User
finally got it uploaded

Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Oldanvilyoungsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
I apologize for necroposting, but this thread helped me a lot with my bulb swap, and I wanted to add to info in this thread instead of starting a whole new one.

This is all applicable to my 2000 F250, but should be the same or fairly similar for 99-03

First off, I changed my illumination and indicator bulbs over to LED. Several illumination bulbs were out, and I decided to go ahead and go to LED and change em all while I was behind the dash.

These are the bulbs I used. My truck has 5 bulbs for illumination, and 15 bulbs for the indicators.

Illumination bulbs - Link

Indicator bulbs - link

Please note - if you do a lot of night driving, I recommend thinking seriously about not using LED's for the indicator bulbs. These things are friggin bright, and somewhat distracting when I hit a turn signal or such in the dark.

Second note - Check your bulbs before going through the install. They sent me blue leds for the illumination, and I didn't find out until I installed them. The plastic base of the Led should be white if they are white leds. Mine had blue bases, but I didn't know it what it meant. Now I'm waiting for the white ones they are sending to replace.

Third note - Some of the indicator lights are now "ghosting" since I installed the Leds. From what I've read, that's because the leds use less amps, they're picking up tiny amounts of electricity still passing through, and barely glowing. It's only noticeable in the dark.

Fourth note - Led's are polarity sensitive. Use a paint pen and mark one side of the black bulb base on all the leds, to help keep track of which way you need to turn them.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
lawdawg79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lawdawg79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Red

I changed all my dash lights i could change to red, dome lights are all red too. Red light doesnt mess up your night vision

Old 08-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Oldanvilyoungsmith View Post
I apologize for necroposting
Another excellent bump and revival to an old thread.

Stewart

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM
caedo
Senior User
caedo has a good reputation on FTE.caedo has a good reputation on FTE.
13 years later, still going

hey, does anyone have names/sizes for the twist lock sockets? i am converting to LED and all of my general illumination sockets are charred from contact with the bulbs.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Oldanvilyoungsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by caedo View Post
hey, does anyone have names/sizes for the twist lock sockets? i am converting to LED and all of my general illumination sockets are charred from contact with the bulbs.
I don't have a number for them, but a lot of the led bulbs come with them. If you go up a couple posts, I have a post with links to the led bulbs u used when I did my F250. Both sizes of led bulbs came with twist lock sockets, and the bulbs.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:47 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
LurkerX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Complete Bulb Count, Colors, Etc...

There is so much information in this thread, but no one post has EVERYTHING right.
So, I figured I'd give it a shot.

First, here is an inventory, broken up by color (for those wanting to go all LED):

There are actually SIX bulbs for Illumination:
1) 96JP-BULB (#37)
5) 194

There can be as many as 20 Indicators.
My truck only has 19.
1) LED (Theft)
19 (max) #37 Bulbs

Red:
Theft (factory LED)
Battery
Brake (Left)
Brake (Right)
Door Ajar
Low Oil / High Temp
Park/Brake
Seat Belt

Amber:
4 X 4
ABS
Air Bag
Fuel Reset (Not present on all Trucks - for instance, MINE)
Low Fuel
Low Range
Service Engine Soon
Wait to Start
Water in Fuel

Green:
Cruise
Left Turn
Right Turn

Blue:
High Beams

Some notes on the above:
1) Illumination Sockets are circled in Black

2) The THEFT actually has an Amber color filter. However, the "bulb" is a Red LED. Since the source light only contains red, that's all you get.
Additionally, this LED socket is polarized.

3) The specified indicator bulbs are #37. Many have used #74 bulbs.
However, the #74 are slightly higher wattage. It's not really significant, but can lead to overheating, and the bulb failing quicker.

4) There are two Brake indicators. My initial thought was that one was for the parking brake, and the other for low brake fluid.
On my truck, that is not the case. The [right] Brake light comes on for both. I was not able to get the Left to EVER come on, even at first KOEO.
This may be a difference between Canada / Mexico builds.

5) Some trucks actually have the "Fuel Reset". Mine does not. My understanding is this indicator lights when the inertial switch (in passenger kickpanel) is tripped.
However, the only references I find relating to Super Duty diesels is the indicator quickly flashing when the truck experiences low power...
Mine doesn't have it. Others obviously do. I figure it may relate to the Canada or Mexico build as well.

Sorry the picture is rotated 90*. It appears to be a size limitation on ford-trucks.com.

Hopefully this post will help those wanting to order LEDs in the correct colors, or those wanting all of the answers before tearing their dash down.

One final note: I could not reseat the shift indicator until I removed the steering column trim from behind the steering wheel.
My paws simply would not fit. Even then, I still muttered more than a few choice words before I got lucky and lined it up correctly.
Up to that point, and after, was all easy-peasey.

1) remove radio
2) loosen two screws above radio (about 1 turn)
3) remove left side access panel
4) pull dash bezel from left side
5) disconnect wires from bezel, remove completely
6) remove 4 screws that hold cluster
7) pull forward *slightly*, and unclip shift indicator
8) remove 3 wire connectors from back of cluster from right to left (cables are different lengths, it works better that way).

Reinstall in reverse order.
Remove Steering column trim if needed.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:01 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 01Two50 View Post
Anyone know of the lightbulb part number to get? I dont want to have to take it apart just to see, put it back together, then order the bulbs, and have to tear it apart again.

the main bulbs are 194 and smaller ones are IIRC 74/37 wedge base bulbs, I would STRONGLY suggest going LED on the bulbs it will same you the hassle of replacing bulbs ever again...also you will have 4 194 bulbs for the main instruments, and ONE 37/74(or similar) mini bulbs that will supply light to the top section (11, 12 and 1) positions of the speedo on these trucks, me sure to try and match the bulbs to the color of the lamp (red with red, amber with amber and for the main gauges bright white (daylight?) works best, I have done an LED conversion of all my main bulbs and should have more info in my build thread, will try and post pics here if i can find them again.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking at doing this next week. Was wondering what people used to clean the plastic clear facing on the cluster. My truck is a 2001.... many years of dirt & grud.... anyone got a suggestion ?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
268Fords
Senior User
268Fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I replaced all of my bulbs with led’s in my 02’s cluster last year. Two things I found out. The blue led I used for the high beam was too intense at night time, and the amber led for the airbag would stay faintly lit. I reinstalled the incandescent bulbs in those two. I used superbrightleds bulbs. Every led I have ever purchased from them is still working flawlessly. My tailight bulbs are 10 years old now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F250 Dash light bulb replacement

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.