1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

strutmasters conversion: hows the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:35 AM
jundeleon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strutmasters conversion: hows the ride?

For the guys who have converted from LLS to strutmasters coil spring conversion, how do you like the ride compared with the air spring set up?

My air system just died and I would like to know what others think of the strutmasters.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 PM
hceptj
Senior User
I just finished the coversion this past weekend.

I used the front and rear strutmaster parts (springs-rear and coilover monroe sensatracs-front).

I also went ahead and replaced the rear shocks with new monroe sensatrac's in the rear.

It took about 3.5 hrs to do it all. It was actually pretty easy overall. The hardest part was the front shocks...the coilovers were a bear to get in because they don't compress as easy as the stock shocks.

The only problem I had was that strutmasters includes a diagram on where to cut the power wire to the dash "ck susp" sensor. The sensor box is located kind of above and behind the radio...not to hard to get to, just a lot of screws to take out. It showed the power wire as being the dark green wire w/light green stripe in the black plug on the box (there are two plugs, one black and one gray). I knew right away something was wrong because the color code didn't match up with what they said to cut. My dk grn/lgt green wire is in the gray plug, not the black one. I sniped it leaving enough to solder back together but it was the correct wire.

I love the ride though...the truck sits just like stock. It's been a few years since it was new but it seems that the ride is just as good now as it was with the LLS.

Plus, no more worries about air shocks going out (had that happen in the front) or connectors breaking (that one on the drivers side under the hood, near the master cylinder). Not to mention the compressor was getting really noisy and was running more than it did a couple years ago.

I highly recommend the conversion to anyone that is thinking of losing the LLS.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
z578348
New User
How much did it cost for the total conversion.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
hceptj
Senior User
All total about $400...springs and 4 shocks...plus about 4-5 hours of my weekend...

Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Stealth111
New User
were the monroe coilover sensatracks you used on the front a custom made piece, or was there a standard part number on them that could be obtained from a standard parts store?? I am looking for an alternative to just getting the 66 ford bronco rear shock for the front of my 2000 lincoln navigator 4x4 with 4 corner LLs... soon to be gone!!

Old 08-08-2005, 06:31 PM
jundeleon
New User
Finally had my expy's LLS converted to coils/shocks.
Up front, my ride now has rancho 9000x adjustable shocks set on middle setting of 6.
At the rear, it now rides on ford oems springs.
Cost was about $650.
Ride is a bit firmer but not uncomfortable. Handling seems much better now as there's less body sway.
I now feel more confident taking the vehicle on long drives. No air shocks, compressor, relays, solenoids, tubes, and connectors getting out of order at the most untimely moment.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
hceptj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stealth111
were the monroe coilover sensatracks you used on the front a custom made piece, or was there a standard part number on them that could be obtained from a standard parts store?? I am looking for an alternative to just getting the 66 ford bronco rear shock for the front of my 2000 lincoln navigator 4x4 with 4 corner LLs... soon to be gone!!
I think they are a standard part number but I'm not 100% sure. I ordered mine from Strutmasters.

I suggest giving them a call and see what they say.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
hceptj
Senior User
Originally Posted by jundeleon
Finally had my expy's LLS converted to coils/shocks.
Up front, my ride now has rancho 9000x adjustable shocks set on middle setting of 6.
At the rear, it now rides on ford oems springs.
Cost was about $650.
Ride is a bit firmer but not uncomfortable. Handling seems much better now as there's less body sway.
I now feel more confident taking the vehicle on long drives. No air shocks, compressor, relays, solenoids, tubes, and connectors getting out of order at the most untimely moment.
Did you do it yourself or have someone do the install?

I agree 110% about the confidence taking the truck on long trips. I had a couple problems before (one front shock went bad and once we had a fitting break) and its no fun driving home with the rear of the exp draggin' on the ground.

Plus my wife drives ours 90% of the time, so now I don't have to worry about her getting stranded somewhere.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
jundeleon
New User
I had it done by one of the better auto shops here. I am in the Philippines.
Dealers wont touch the suspension conversion, naturally so they could sell their expensive parts which are priced about two to three times higher than whats available outside of dealerships.
The shop which helped me do the conversion was able to source ford oem springs for the rear.
The rancho shocks were readily available but I think they had to do some fitting.
It took just 1.5 days including 4-wheel alignment.
My expy now rides a bit taller than before, much like when 4x4 mode is switched on with the air suspension active.

Somehow I miss the whirling and vibrating sound of the air compressor but this is something I am sure I will get over with easily !

Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
hceptj
Senior User
jundeleon,

that makes sense about the dealerships...not a big fan of them myself...

...i noticed my truck sits higher also, like you said, it looks like its in 4x4low all the time...

...and i had a 4 wheel alignment done also, just to get everything on track (not to mention the tires are only a couple months old, didn't want to mess them up)...

...lol, i hated that compressor noise, mine had been getting louder the past year or so, to the point where it probably was going to need replacement soon...

Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Stealth111
New User
HCEPTJ, I tried calling strutmasters and they dont want to tell me anything.. unless I am telling them my credit card number... The reasoning is that I can order SENSA-TRAC® LOAD ADJUSTING(coil-over) SHOCK ABSORBERS part#58518 for $112 a pair from the local parts store.. And when you said the fronts were coilover sensatracks.. I thought I finally found a confirmation that I could use the ones I researched.. NOONE seems anywhere on the forums to talk about ever doing it to a NAVI, so I am on my own on this one, even though it is basically the same as my Expy's that I have owned in the past..My navi sits up in the rear slightly higher than the front with the sensor adjusted all the way up in back, and I like the look, so I dont want to screw it up in the conversion possibly putting a shock setup in the front that is going to make the front even higher..

Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 PM
vettedad
New User
Smile

I just joined to find out this information. I too, had trouble on a long trip and was embarrassed by a LLS failure. After goingthrough 2 compressors I ended up replacing the airbags in the rear with the springs from Strutmasters. I thought i might get away without doing the front but now the front is about 3" lower than the rear.

Is the the best way to go with Strutmasters front kit too? I noticed one post said they did the conversion plus rear shocks for $400. I am finding jsut the front and rear from Strutmasters to be $500.

My rear springs had a rubber donut on top wihich raised the back even higher. Will the Strutmasters front kit level it out?

Did you have to use a spring compressor for the front?

Sorry for all the qusetions but that what newbies are all about!

Thanks.