Dreaming of better Cylinder head for 300

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
mark460
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreaming of better Cylinder head for 300

Does anyone know what the bore spacing is on the 300? Does anyone make a aluminum head for the 300?

Mark

Old 04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
noFordguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i herd that it is 4" and a lot of guys put chevy pistons in them, why do you want a aluminum head for anyways

Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Gerry Lutz Jr.
Senior User
probably because it's about half the weight and usually aftermarket heads flow much better than stock duh lol. I would love to have 1 on mine 2

Old 04-25-2005, 02:21 PM
mark460
Mountain Pass
The alumimum head is lighter, some aftermarket heads have better port designs and you can run slightly higher compression. I'm getting interested in building a 300 for a Mustang strickly for the dragstrip. I would like to have a head that could produce some serious horsepower and torque. I just want to do something different.

MarkW

Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM
F-Liner
Senior User
Mark - Do some searches in this forum, as wells as over at fordsix.com. You should find lots of posts on it.

Motorsport apparently made an aluminum drag race head (that may have even been a cross flow design).

I've been toying with the idea of making a 2 piece crossflow head. The bottom half would contain combustion chambers, and water jackets. The top half would contain the valve train. That's an oversimplified explaination, just to get the idea across. Some guys have tried to shoot it down, but I'm not seeing their arguments so far. Unfortunately, my home computer ate some spyware, and is down for now. Once it's up again, I can start throwing some ideas into my modeling program to see what I can come up with. Oh yeah, the need for custom intake and exahuast is understood.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:53 PM
F-Liner
Senior User
Oh yeah, Motorsports drag race head didn't have any water jackets.

Also check out inliners.org. There's a bunch of hot rodders over there.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I jumped on the aftermarket head bandwagon for a while, but now don't really see the benefit in it. The biggest obstacle to overcome when making a V8 head flow is the pushrod. The 300 doesn't have that problem. The EFI chamber is very good, so the aftermarket probably can't help much in that department. I don't think there is any way to make an aluminum head be cost effective vs. a well prepped stock head.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
fastback69
Senior User
Bore spacing is 4.48". There's a guy on Fordsix.com that has a factory cross-flow head. I heard that it was developed for the industrial engines like the ones in delivery trucks. I wonder if Ford could be persuaded to put those heads into production as "off-road" performance parts. I sent an email to www.worldcastings.com and asked what it would take to get some heads cast. No reply yet. They make a head for the 3.8l Ford V6. Maybe if enough folks express interest, they will consider it.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when it comes to better 300 heads, we are on our own

frenchtown flyer built this hybrid crossflow head, but it has no water passages.

Last edited by oldhalftons; 04-25-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 AM
mark460
Mountain Pass
Thanks, I got a lot of good information to look into. I’ve had a 300 six in my 77 ford truck, but I’m new to modifying one. I think I’ll do a mild buildup on the truck, but I think it would be cool to squeeze a 300 in a Mustang. Years ago, I did put a 250 six in a 67 Mustang, and it ran good and it felt like it had more torque than a 289. The original head on the 300 needs a lot of work, frankly, in my opinion it is horrible. I’m going to see if I can find out any info on the motorsport head. I think going to a cross flow head is a must. I’m ok with it not having water jackets. I wonder what the ports look like on the industrial engine.

F-liner,
I would be interested in working with you on your crossflow head idea. Do have a CAD program on your computer? I’m a Mech. Engineer at Boeing and I run CAD everyday. I think it would be cool to machine a two piece billet head for the 300. I think the water jackets would be a serious challenge. You can email me at mnm3693234@yahoo.com, if you want.

oldhalftons,
Do you have more pics of the frenchtown flyer? Where could I find out some info, on his setup?

Thanks
Mark460

Old 04-26-2005, 12:41 PM
mark460
Mountain Pass
Looks like this guy has got all the research done and has a good aluminum head he sells. No need to spend a lot of time on R&D, his method seems like the solution.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/classifi...&cat=29&page=1

Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
That is a lot of work compared to using a pair of SBF heads to do the same thing.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:22 PM
F-Liner
Senior User
Mark - 6bangerbill over at fordsix was somehow involved with that head. They called it the FS1. SS may have seen it, as they're in the same country around Tulsa. SS correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like a nice head. I just have a notion to make one all one piece from scratch, like it was done on purpose.

Yes, I have Solidworks and TurboCad at home. I use PRO/E at work, and used to use Catia when I worked on airplanes. Whew, that was always a struggle. Don't get me wrong, airplanes are cool, but i enjoy tractors ALOT more. Besides, now I don't have our Friends Against Aviation telling me what I can and can't do.

Send me a message through the menu on my user ID, we can discuss more there.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 PM
shmoozo
Freshman User
Yeah, it's a heck of a lot of work. Frankly, if I was going to use a pair of heads off a V8 I'd probably just leave them on the V8 and bolt that in instead. It'd be less work and the results would probably be better, too.

Face it, guys ... One of the reasons we all love these inline sixes is that they aren't V8s. There's a certain kind of perverse pleasure that comes from extracting respectable performance from a powerplant choice that lies well outside the mundane, monotonous mainstream of motors configured as 90 degree V8s.

There will always be fools who will tell you that eight always beats six and it's fun to show them how wrong they can be. It's even more fun to do it with an engine that looks pretty darn close to stock on the outside. You can get that sort of performance out of a Ford 300 six by doing some serious head work, boosting the compression a bit, sliding in a somewhat bumpier cam, bolting on an Offy intake with a well-tuned 4 barrel, adding a good electronic ignition, and running the exhaust through a set of the EFI exhaust manifolds or headers and a good custom exhaust system using performance mufflers.

Heck, if you use a big, ugly, factory style air cleaner housing to hide the carb a bit (with a K&N or other similar filter element inside, of course), and grind the Offenhauser logos off the intake and paint it to match the block and head, and keep all the factory looking sheetmetal and such on the thing it'll look pretty ordinary at first glance. It'll be even more convincing if you let a coat of road grime and such build up on it to make it look like it's never been taken apart.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
F-liner, I've never seen it in person and didn't realize they were from around here. I did see the pics on another forum though. I really don't understand why LS1 heads were used. I've got a pair of LS1 headgaskets that I use as spacers on my mock up engine and they don't look like anything lines up on them. SBF heads are a bolt on once they have the right number of cylinders.

Quick Reply: Dreaming of better Cylinder head for 300