2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power windows in STX

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power windows in STX

I installed a Stellar (AutoLoc) alarm, locks and remote start in my 04 STX last year. I'd like to add power windows, but I had a lot of trouble running the wires from the door into the cab on my truck. There was no easy pass through on mine...had to drill a hole and run a new "tube" to put the wires in. My question is to those who have done the window kit, Did you install the switches on the doors or in a more central location? I'm guessing I could get power from my lock install inside the door and minimize the number of wires that have to run back into the cab. Anyone with experience and pictures?

Old 04-24-2005, 01:01 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In another place, far away...
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194051
we have been looking at a lot of switches...

Kag has just done the job himself, and he is rather young, so he has a different perspective than most of us old far- er fogies. He is also great at answering questions.
Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 04-24-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Thanks, Chris..I read his stuff over there and posted a ? back..basically the same thing I posted here. You and I had this discussion last year and the only thing I can figure is that the regular cab trucks are wired differently than the Scabs.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Biggziff, yes I recall. I did help a guy put in a bunch of stuff in his Scab, but it was exactly the same as mine. Wonder if it's the assembly plant? Who knows.

My setup with the two switches in the center is the least wiring you can do. Two wires total to the motor. After putting in the 5.00 express up/down setup, I like the location in the center even more.

Say, you couln't post a pic of the inside of your door jamb could you? Someone might have an insite. I can post one of mine for comparison, if you want. Bet somebody has been here already.
Chris

Old 04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Yup..I'll take a pic right now

Old 04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Old 04-24-2005, 07:16 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Whoa that is a lot different. My pic will follow, But I can tell you now, they don't look like the same truck. Except on the door side. That looks like the rig for something that will go into the water. Looks like the door piece on my Tracker, which is designed to go into four feet of water.

Questions that come to mind
first, that second smaller bundle, that's your power door lock mod, right?
Second, doesn't that white thing, 'unhinge' ? It looks like you are supposed to thumb it down, and cam it away. It's a good pic, but not like being there.
Does the white thing matter? What I mean is, can't you unplug the door side, where it looks normal, and just route the wires through? On the inside there is a harness the factory uses to go into the door, and I would hope you could guide the wires through that.

Can't believe they made the body different there. It doesn't show on my shop CD as different.
Chris

Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
That "lever" pulls down and unlocks the door side of the "plug". All the wires that come through the tube into the plug terminate in that side of the plug. It's a huge connector so you can't just route the wires through (unfortunately) It comes apart just like a huge connector..weird, huh?

Ya, the second loom is my handiwork..I can probably get a few more wires through it if need be..or just split it open and replace it when I'm done.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Soft rubber on both ends, easy to pull out lots of room for fifty wires.
So you have an actual socket, that is, the wires break there?
It would be cheating to route the wires through without this harness, and replace it with the simple boot. Well, that sucks.

Can anyone else confirm which harness they have in their truck. A ten second look should tell them which one they have.
Chris

Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Ya..I was pi**ed when I found that connector....I had expected the usual rubber tubing that just pops out of the holes on either side...oh well...