1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I Need Help

Old 04-24-2005, 02:39 AM
crunch14
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Need Help

Hey there I never thought I'd do this But I am about to become the 3rd owner of a '59 f-100 w/223, 102,000 origional miles, and it runs and drives great. Only 1 problem... I grew up a Chevy guy. But I'm changing. I am a big car guy tho. and well sense I don't know too much about this particular vehicles guts I was wondering where I could get a good manual for working on it at home. the only thing it has wrong with it (right now) is the wipers aren't working.

I was contemplating swapping in a 292 in the future because I think that motor was also offered in that model year. Any info you can give me is a big help.
Thanks, crunch

Old 04-24-2005, 06:04 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:32 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look in the store area on this site for a reprint of the Ford shop manual. If it's not there, ,look on Ebay for one. If you're going to really tear into it, get a set of parts manuals. They have all the exploded drawing of the various assemblies. You don't say if the wipers are vacuum or electric, but if they're vac, the wiper motor is probably gummed up. I'd take it out and spray some WD 40 or some type of penetrating oil in the vac port and hook it up to a vac source off the engine and try to get it to move. If it fails to work, then you need to rebuild the motor or replace it. I would get a gasket set before you rip it apart, or be very careful in disassembling it. There's a flap in there that pivots back and forth and get stuck from non use. You can remove it and clean it up. I usually put some vaseline grease on it to keep the rawhide seal on the flap soft.
If it's electric, you'll need a wiring diagram to figure it out. Most were vacuum wipers.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 AM
crunch14
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot man, I was also wondering if it was very difficult to swap the 223 over to the 292? much fabrication involved?

Old 04-26-2005, 06:23 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
not much fab to do if you use the front truck mounts, and a Y block truck bellhousing, thens its just the radiator, new exhaust, fuel line to the opposite side and a couple of wires

Search this Thread