FTE First Annual National Rally

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, my flight doesn't get in till after 10PM. Unless you're all up for a "Midnight Buffet.." KC: barbecue and Kansas City strips. I can't wait!

BTW, I'm reading good things about the Howard Johnson motel in Shawnee, and the Comfort Inn in Overland Park (clean rooms, friendly staff, reasonably priced). Are these too far from the race track to consider, or just a pain to get back and forth to? I can't seem to find the Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn that are supposed to be close by. Can any KC native give me the street addresses on those two?

Last edited by 1956MarkII; 04-23-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:30 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We may end up with a G2G at the airport on Thursday . LOL

Old 04-24-2005, 02:19 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1006.33 miles from my house and I can't wait!!!!!! ROAD TRIP!

Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 AM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
I need to know what is planned for the Thursday night, for the people who are flying in ?

They have food in KC....correct ?
I will make a couple of suggestions for KC food. First and foremost, go straight to Arthur Bryants, do not pass go, do not collect $200, etc. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Playboy magazine has rated Bryants as THE best BBQ in the past. Visit their website for information. I have an old high school friend that sends me care packages of Bryant's BBQ sauce a couple of times a year.

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Now, another place to visit might be Teresa's Drive In, 6450 E. Truman Road. I don't know about now, but back in to good old days this was THE place to cruise in K.C. I just looked them up in the phone book, and it is still open. As for a cruisin' kind of place, we'll have to ask our friends currently living in K.C. for that info. They had pretty good food back then too. My last visit to Teresa's was in (cough cough) 1975..... Worth checking into though! An evening of cruising might be fun! Show K.C. what FTE is all about.

I would love to be there for this event, but I seriously doubt if I will make it. Struggling to keep my head above the proverbial waters of self employment!

Last edited by rikfish; 04-25-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 AM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Damn, my flight doesn't get in till after 10PM. Unless you're all up for a "Midnight Buffet.." KC: barbecue and Kansas City strips. I can't wait!

BTW, I'm reading good things about the Howard Johnson motel in Shawnee, and the Comfort Inn in Overland Park (clean rooms, friendly staff, reasonably priced). Are these too far from the race track to consider, or just a pain to get back and forth to? I can't seem to find the Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn that are supposed to be close by. Can any KC native give me the street addresses on those two?
Jeff,

Try this link for lodging. PM or e-mail me. I don't live in K.C. any more, but I am remotely familiar with the area. Best advice is to stay close to the track.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...%3d&cat=Hotels

The Great Wolf Lodge is a really nice place, a bit $$$ though. It is located beside the Cabela's store, and not too far from the race track. This place even has in indoor water park!

http://kc.greatwolflodge.com/

Rick

Last edited by rikfish; 04-25-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the Mapquest list, I'll look into that further, as a number of those motels didn't come up in the Expedia/ Orbitz/Travelocity searches. I already looked at Great Wolf Lodge; with rooms that START at $279/ night, I think not! But the rooms accomodate 6-8 people, so for a family or a group it's a good buy, especially when you consider the amenities.

A note to anyone using those internet travel sites: BEWARE. I looked at a few in regards to the Howard Johnson site in Shawnee. One said that no rooms were available, the other had rooms at $43.95/ night. I went to book the room there and as soon as I went to the next page it said the rate had gone up, to $49.65/ night. Then, they wanted to put a minimum 30% deposit on my credit card, with a fee of one night's room rate if I cancelled. I then went directly to the Howard Johnson website, and booked the room for $45.95/ night, with no deposit, and no cancellation fee. From now on, I'll have no hesitation to use those travel sites for info, but you must check directly with the vendor before making final arrangements.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:29 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Update on Motel, There is a Hampton Inn right by the Woodlands that has group rates for 89 a night. There is also a Holiday Inn Express being built and will be done in June that we should be able to get better rates at it. The Woodlands has group discounts for both and when they get the price for the Holiday Inn I will post them.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Just found out that yes there are RV camping avalible to us. There is room for about 17 campers tht have electrical hookups. No water or sewer connections but they do have a place to fill water tanks and right down the road at Cabelos is a free dump station. Price is 20 bucks a night for us.
Originally Posted by kevincw
Rollie, the Woodlands website shows RV parking and camping. Is this available to us?

Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
where is a events list?

Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I grew up in Parkville, just on the Mo side of the river and it has been about 18 years since I have been back there. Only about a 9 hr drive from Colorado here so it should be no bigggie. Although, the thought of a rental 05' Stang while there sounds like fun...hehe I wonder if there are any GT's available? Anyway....would be great to see the old stompin grounds...even on the KS side, I did do a half year at Shawnee Mission south...way back when.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:14 PM
UnderTakr
Elder User
Anyone lookin for campgrounds with water and electric can contact Margret at 913-422-8038. The campgrounds is Cottowood and they are located of I-70 and 7 hiway. The price is 23 a night and with Miltary ID or AAA you get 10% discount. Thats only a 5 or 6 mile drive to the Woodlands. Just let Margret know your with the Rally and she'll hook ya up! ( little humor there) She has over 100 spots so make your reservations quick!!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Motel update for National Rally:
Originally Posted by Bargod
We have a block of 100 rooms per night at the Lenexa Radisson. These are at a rate of $60 per night plus tax. The hotel is about 20 minutes from the woodlands.We will have an on-line promo code for the members to book rooms, or they can contact me.

Oh yeah, Here's the hotel
Once we have the promo code we will post it and you can then make reservations by phone or on-line. If you want to make reservations before we get the promo code just be sure to tell them you are part of the Ford Truck Enthusiasts National Rally.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
JCPSME
Senior User
Are the Woodlands campgrounds on the same property? When it comes to barbeque there are almost 400 places that serve BBQ in the KC area. Arthur Bryants is nationally known and has been served to more than a couple of US presidents but it's not one of my favorites. Gates is a KC icon and has a spicier sauce, Jack's Stack a little upscale but still casual with a good selection of beer and wine, KC Masterpiece has a sweeter style sauce, Wyandotte BBQ has some unbelieveable hot pickles, and if you want to see the downtown area head to Winslow's in the rivermarket. There are atleast a dozen more I could mention. If barbeque is not your preference KC is full of fantastic restaurants for any taste you have.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
olgreymare86
Junior User
Dang...too bad I'm floating around in the Arabian Gulf...I have family all over Johnson County. I wish I could be there!