97 4.2L Leaking Gaskets Issue…Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 AM
skihog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 4.2L Leaking Gaskets Issue…Revisited

Hello All,

My 1997 F-150 4.2L Truck has recently developed a leaking front cover gasket…so, I sent the following certified letter to Ford’s Customer Relationship Center asking for help…

Subject: Request Extension to Recall Campaign # 99B29

My truck (1997 F-150, 4.2L, VIN # XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) recently developed an engine front cover gasket leak. While doing an internet search on the repair (I was going to try and do the job myself), I was shocked to find the number of "hits" on this subject…I mean literally over a thousand leaking gasket complaints on web message boards. Even Ford-friendly sites like
www.f150online.com, www.fordtrucks.com, and http://**************.************.com documented the gasket problems on the 1997 4.2 engine. Additionally, I found one web site, www.leakingfords.com, which is solely dedicated to this issue. Thus, after reviewing all the data, I’m now convinced my truck was built with a faulty engine front cover gasket and obsolete lower intake gaskets, and I strongly feel I should be compensated for the repair.

Before you quickly disregard my request, please understand it wasn’t just the customer complaints that led me to this conclusion, but more notably, Ford’s own documentation …specifically, TSB #99-20-7 and Owner Notification Program 99B29. In Dec 99, Ford issued a recall campaign 99B29 for the front cover gasket, and later TSB #99-20-7 addressed the Ford design problem/failure of the lower intake manifold gasket.

Knowing Ford had already recognized these problems and taken steps to correct them, I called two local Ford dealerships to schedule a recall repair. The first one, Pinnacle Ford, didn’t even bother looking up the noted campaign, TSB, or my VIN #...the service representative just simply said "I’m sure the repair is not covered by any recall…its going to cost over $800…and, your probably got antifreeze in the oil, so you’ll also need a new engine." Not being satisfied with Pinnacle’s customer service (or lack of), I called Northpoint Ford and got a completely opposite reception. Dale, the customer service representative, took the time to research my VIN and applicable Ford documentation. He found that the noted campaign had expired on 31 March 01 and suggested I call Ford to try and get an extension to the recall. I took Dale’s advice and called Ford’s "Customer Relationship Center" (twice, 7 & 8 March 04) and had no luck with an extension. Thus, now I’m giving the Customer Relationship Center a written, formal appeal requesting an extension to the 99B29 recall and repair my gaskets.

On the surface, I can understand Ford’s "by the book" responses to my previous request. The campaign expired on 31 March 2001, and my repair request is after that date…so I can see where it’s automatic to stamp the requests "DENIED". However, there is a logical explanation as to why I’m late…it’s because Ford was late too—in not telling me before that I had additional warranty rights. Ford never notified me of any potential gasket problems for my truck. And, knowing what Ford’s own service bulletins says about the severity of the problem and its consequences (new engine), I sure wouldn't have been late if I had been told this extended warranty existed.

Without a doubt, this incident has shaken my confidence in Ford…which is a very powerful statement coming from a guy who grew up in a family known as stanch "Ford folks". Please let me continue that tradition and approve my request for an extension to recall 99B29. . Thanks for your time and I’m anxiously awaiting your response.

<DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR>Sincerel y,

James T

</DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>Copies:
Pinnacle Ford; Northpoint Ford
Weeks went by and I got no response; so, on 8, 11, and 14 April I sent below e-mails to customer service executives Kim Goering & Francisco Codina (Customer Service VP).

Dear Mr. Codina,

On 15 March 05, I sent the attached certified letter (receipt for on 21 March) to your Customer Relations Center, and have yet to receive a response. Request you please review my case and provide a statue of its resolution. Currently, my truck is not operational, so further delay continues to have a significant impact on my family’s transportation capabilities. If you need any additional information that is not provided in my letter, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your time/consideration.

Very Respectively,

James T

Still no response…so now, I’m done being nice. The gloves are off. I’m going to post my story on as many web sites as I possibly can. And, I’ll continue promoting Ford’s poor customer service unit I get resolution. I’m no longer a Ford man, and will readily issue this warning to all who will listen…if you buy Ford, expect little to no customer service support/response.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by skihog; 04-19-2005 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
fplorer
Senior User
I don't think any other car company would entertain warranty requests on a 9 year old vehicle either. If it made it that long you are one of the lucky ones.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 PM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my feelings reflect yours SKIHOG,like your truck mine is totaled here in UK i had no information to point towards any engine problems. i feel letdown and bitter due to this major failing. on an up-point i am well under way with the engine repair and if can help with any info i will.
good luck . bokker.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:54 PM
farm-stretch
New User
With regards to the Customer Service at Ford, they should at least have a yes or no response instead of just ignoring you. Politeness and proper etiquette goes a long way in today’s business world.

Anyone, I mean anyone could buy a 97 and not know about this problem. I.e. A person making a low wage would buy an older pickup to begin with…then finding out they have a thousand dollar problem.

I will be giving a bit more thought into my next Auto purchase and think twice about buying a Ford.

Ford Canada mailed me a tie rod-warning letter (due diligence) a year after one of mine broke. http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/tierods/index.html
I have shelled out $3,887.49 Canadian just in repairs (not preventive maintenance) in the last 5.5 years (99-4.2). My catalytic converters are now going!

-Why are GM and Ford on the news about a possible bankruptcy?

-Ford lost a 48 million case when two people in the same car sued for when a Lincoln gas tank caught fire. (Yesterday’s Toronto paper)

-What about improper roll over protection on the explorers?

-And then there were the 2 tire issues. (Over-torque and bad rubber)

Why am I even on this site? Because I'm learning how to prevent anymore major expenses!

These are not UAW and CAW problems! Engineers are being taught how to be managers, cut corners, save money and make processes go faster. (Okay maybe not 100% true)

It must be tough to be a feeder plant for Ford!

Hoping Ford gets their head out of they gutter.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I have reread my post about 5 times now. I would like to appologize if anyone takes this personally. I in no way intend to upset anyone, or their feelings. I am merely babbling while at work. Please read on with an open mind:

I always hear people around here absolutely shocked that there was a TSB about this. People often say that they had no "warning". Before you bought your 1997-98 F150, did you search the internet for possible issues? Did you research any and all TSB's? I am in no way taking sides. I simply think that it is odd that so many people complain of not having warning. If you bought your 97 in...lets say...2000, there was a TSB out for a whole year. After that, there was another year. If you bought it later than that (01 and up), how did you not notice the TSB there? I'm in no way saying you guys are wrong, or shouldnt feel upset at the customer service. In fact, I don't really know what I am saying. If I were Ford, personally, I would say tough nuggies. There are some things that you just HAVE to research when it comes to vehicles.....and isnt a full year a long time to let owners know?

Respectfully,
Garrett

EDIT: I forgot to mention one thing. Good luck with the appeal. I do sincerely hope it works out for you.

Last edited by horizonhuskies; 04-22-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:59 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi inregards to doing your home work (research) i did but did not find this site and nither did the UK dealer.
the dealer buys in trade-in and was blissfully unaware that the 4,2 had any issues.
i am confident that my dealer had no knowlege due to buying-in 6 more and suppyed me with all the parts to repair it.
regards bokker.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:33 AM
skihog
New User
In fairness, I may have heard about the TSB if I had been in the US. I’m in the military and had a four-year assignment to Italy and put the truck in storage from 1998-2002…during the same time Ford documented the gasket problems. Thus, if there was any TV or Newspaper publicity about Ford’s gasket defects, I missed it. After 2002, even if I had known about the problem, I suspect the results would have been the same. Bottom line, I have a truck with only 70,000 miles on it...and need two grand to get back on the road again. Unless Ford helps, the truck is For Sale.