Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Mr Clean
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Harness

What up peeps out there in 4.2 land? Had a question. 4.2 Manster and I were talking, and he made the comment that he had just found out that our trucks (00 & 02 4.2 liter V6) had the pre-wiring for the fog lights. if we installed a bumper that supported such a hook up. Now if they are pre-wired for fog lights would that be an indication that say it was pre-wired for lets say automatic windows, if you installed new panels. Would it be as simple as "Plug and Play".
One would have to assume that Ford mass produces these trucks, and they are a Coorporation, so they are going to try to keep their overhead down by any means possible, and in order to do that they would not want to create a diffrent wiring harness for every type of truck that they produced, they would make a "Standard" harness, and if certin trucks didnt use that part of the harness they simply wouldent hook it up.
This is just my theory on how this may work, for all I know I could be completly wrong, so I will be looking forward to everybodys input on this topic. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i know, the trucks are pre-wired for foglights because so many people were wanting to get the 4x4 valance and fogs on their 4x2's

I'm not sure if they are pre-wired for auto windows or locks, but i think it's doubtful. I've taken my door panel off many a time and have not noticed an extra harness, although i may be incorrect.

Anyone else?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
I have a 1997 4.2L F-150, and I heard about being prewired also, what should I look for. Does anybody have any pics of the harness. When I looked under the bumper I see a harness oneach side but it is connected to something, the wires looks like they run up to the headlights. Now here is the kicker, My truck came with the fog light switch/headlight installed from factory, but no foglights

Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 AM
dalonso
New User
mine is an '01 and it is prewired. i just got some foglights and i am
waiting for the switch with the foglight in it. i will post after i finish it.

i am prewired for even the pushbutton on the door handle to open the
doors, but my truck has pw and pl, so i guess it all depends........

Old 04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fordguy21
I have a 1997 4.2L F-150, and I heard about being prewired also, what should I look for. Does anybody have any pics of the harness. When I looked under the bumper I see a harness oneach side but it is connected to something, the wires looks like they run up to the headlights. Now here is the kicker, My truck came with the fog light switch/headlight installed from factory, but no foglights
that switch will not work, even though it pulls out.

You should look for 2 harnesses on each side, coming out of some round-triangle hole. One harness is for fogs, it's got blue on it. The other harness is for DRL's, which i've never even seen an f150 with. The harnesses should be fastened to the bulkhead, bumper,frame, whatever that thing is they are coming out of.

PM with your email adress and I will send you an email with pics and info. There is also a relay under the hood, and a fuse in the cab that you need.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
check 4.2manster check your P.M.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
thinks for the pics

Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fordguy21
thinks for the pics
no worries

If anyone else would like to see pics of the pre-wiring and some other info on it, PM me your email addy and put Pre-Wiring in the subject