Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turning Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Turning Problems

Well it looks like I need some help from you guys again. Lately ive noticed that when I turn (doesnt matter which direction) my steering wheel wants to stay going that direction. For example, if im taking a left hand turn from a stop sign, right as I start turning the wheel back to the straight position, I can feel resistance. Its not too much resistance, but its enough to notice it and catch you off guard while your turning.

So today as I was turning right through a stop light, I heard this loud thump. The truck was pushing strongly to the right side so I pulled over and stopped. I didnt notice anything wrong so I decided to drive about 1/4 mile to a near parking lot and see if I could notice anything wrong. Once I got to the parking lot I noticed that the right tire was slanted inwards more than usual. Also, the left tire was slanted inwards but not as much.

I decided to just drive around in the parking lot to see how it drove, it seemed fine so I drove home. Once I got home I noticed that the wheels were straight up and down and wernt slanted inwards at all. They seemed fine. Also, there is no unusual wear underneath the truck as far as I can tell. I havent taken anything apart, ive just glanced underneat and theres nothing unusual.

It's only happened twice to me so far but Ide really like to fix this before something major happens. Thanks in advance for your help! And by the way, its a 1996 F250. Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2005, 06:20 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
You might have a loose or stripped Pitman arm on the bottom of your steering box. Or it may be the steering box itself going bad......or the backlash is way out of adjustment. Do you have alot of free play in your steering wheel. In other words.....do you have to move the wheel more than 2 or 3 degrees before you feel the wheels turn? In any event....you need to STOP DRIVING IT until you locate the problem. It could get someone hurt. You can also check all of the steering linkage for loose or worn joints, missing cottor pins, and loose nuts.....but the thump points me to the steering box area. The steering box is attached to the steering column shaft by a connector. Check this for loosness or missing parts. Backlash adjustment is something you might want a mechanic to look into....you need to take the drag link off of the pitman arm.....and then it's adjusted by feel using the adjusting screw and jam nut on the top of the steering box. Hope this helps.

Last edited by touchofgrey; 04-16-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Thanks for the quick responce. Ill definitly be taking it into a shop asap. I know I wont be able to fix it myself but Ide just like to get a good idea of what the problem could be, so I could talk to the mechanic about it.

There is a little bit of play in the steering wheel. Theres not a lot of play but its enough to notice it. Do you have a general idea of how much some of the stuff could cost?

About the thumping noice - I didnt hear any noice the first time I felt resistance on the steering wheel. The noice happened only once, and the time I heard it, there was much more resistance on the steering wheel than before. I had a few friends in the car and they all heard the noice and felt it. It was somewhere in the front of the truck. It sounded like something snapped.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
The thump noise indicates to me that either a tooth on a splined joint slipped, or a tooth on the rack inside the steering box slipped past a turn on the worm gear. Either one can lead to a dangerous situation.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Ok thanks for your help. Im going to get it fixed soon, until then im not going to drive it. The last thing I need is to get into an accident. Then it'll be in the shop even longer :P

Old 04-16-2005, 07:17 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
No problem.......let us know what you find out.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Ok ill do that. It may take a few days for me to get it into the shop and have them look at it but ill be sure to post the results. Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
With the tire tilting inward and the strong pull to one side, I am more suspicious of failing ball joints. Or the anchor for the passenger side control arm bushing, the bolts are coming loose and it's shifting around.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
The right tire was only tilting inward just after I stopped in the parking lot when I heard the loud thump. Right now, sitting in my driveway, its normal. Both are flat surfaces. Why would they be tilted inward (both tires, but mainly the right tire) at the parking lot but 3 miles down the road parked in my driveway, they are fine?

Old 04-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Greatsaves28
The right tire was only tilting inward just after I stopped in the parking lot when I heard the loud thump. Right now, sitting in my driveway, its normal. Both are flat surfaces. Why would they be tilted inward (both tires, but mainly the right tire) at the parking lot but 3 miles down the road parked in my driveway, they are fine?
Something is loose and shifting around. I am very suspicious of the bolts that hold the anchor point for the passenger side control arm. They are not riveted to the frame. If loose that will shift around depending on the forces being exerted upon it during normal driving manauvers.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Well I finally got my truck back from the dealer today. They replaced the axle beam bracket and the upper and lower left ball joints. Total, with alignment and labor was about $570. Pretty pricy but it runs much better now, major difference in steering.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I'll bet. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
Oh I almost forgot...Thanks for your help as always! There is so much to learn from this site packed with great information!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Greatsaves28
Junior User
It looks like I have the same problem again. Last month I was having steering problems (read above posts) and I took it to the dealer and they replaced the axle beam bracket and the left upper and lower ball joints. The steering felt great until today.

When I turn the steering wheel more than a 1/4 of a turn, the steering wheel stays in that position forcing you to the side of the road. When you drive straight down the road the steering feels normal. Once you turn the steering wheel more than a 1/4 of a turn in either direction, the steering wheel locks up and you have to force it back in the straight position.

This seems to be the exact problem as before. The only difference this time is that I havent heard any unusual noice or loud thumping like I did last time (the thumping noice was the axle beam bracket breaking). This just happened a couple hours ago so I havent looked into the problem too much. I did however look under the truck and noticed that the axle beam bracket is not broken.

Im going to bring it to the dealer again to have them look at it. If they cant fix it this time, thats the last they're going to hear from me.

Any input on this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
First, I don't see ball joints affecting your problem. Wheather they needed replacing would be a "look & see" decision.
You should reread the suggestions that you were given earlier in this thread. It sounds like a steering box related problem. And it still sounds like a very DANGEROUS situation. If the dealer you delt with gave that truck back to you in that condition.....I would find me another dealer quick. No second chance!

Quick Reply: Turning Problems