1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust options for a 96 302 Bronco...can I use F150 cat-backs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
WhiteBlazze
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust options for a 96 302 Bronco...can I use F150 cat-backs?

I have looked around a lot for a dual rear exit, cat-back system to find none except a custom fit kit out on jcwhitney.

Since the bronco is roughly the same as a f150 short bed, couldn't I order a dual cat-back for a 95 or 96 F150 and be fine??

Also need to replace the fatory "Y" pipe and cats...any suggestions? I can only find a "Y" pipe for a 351??

Thanx for the input.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You won't find a REAR exit Cat-back for a Bronco. There is a good reason for NOT exiting out the back. Exhaust gets drawn in through the tailgate and rear glass if you open it. Its an il-advised project to run Bronco exhaust out the rear of the truck. Side exit ONLY either in the stock location or in front of the rear wheels. Unless you are into the idea of inhaling copeous amounts of exhaust fumes where ever you go.

The ONLY aftermarket Y-pipe being manufactured that I know of the the Bassani stainless Y-pipe. Its available with a high-flow cat just be sure you specify that yours is a 96 so that the supplier ships you the Y-pipe with the three O2 sensor holes in it. Otherwise your option is to replece the OEm unit with another Oem unit which at last check cost TWICE what the most expensive Bassani retailer's number was for the Bassani stainless Y-pipe.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM
WhiteBlazze
Junior User
LOL....i feel a "DUH moron" pointed my way!! Thanx. I knew about the rear exhaust and problem with the fumes comming in the rear window...but would this problem really be there if the top was always off??

So...would any of the F150 cat-backs for short beds work with the bronco??

Any side exhausts, infront of the rear tires, cat-backs out there for the f150 / bronco?

Where can I see / get this Y-pipe?? i tried a few places online but can not find any. I am also getting some pacesetter headers, which have the O2 bungs in them as well. If the O2 bungs are in the Y-pipe, them I will just plug the ones in the headers.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:20 AM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
WB, there are NO dual systems available from anybody for the Bronco. I have a 96 302 and searched every website, sent e-mails to manufacturers, and talked to clueless tech support guys till I was blue in the face. I finally got the idea that they did not want to play and went to visit my local custom pipe bender. I got exactly the system I wanted, exactly the way I wanted it, and it cost me pretty close to what a high end (Gibson or Borla) dual exit system would have.
After the system was installed and tested, I took several digital photos. Gibson techs had told me that there was NO WAY POSSIBLE for a dual side exit system to fit between the suspension and gas tank on a Bronco. When I e-mailed them the photos along with the text of their response to me, their only response was to say that "OK, we could have been mistaken".
Check my website for photos. I love my exhaust system, and got it done my way.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
WhiteBlazze,

Sorry brother, didn't mean to make it sound like that. I've just seen the question asked before and gotten arguements against side exiting the exhaust. Nothin' personal just something I tend to take for granted. Again, the intent was to inform not insult. Bassani's Y-pipe is available from several online vendors. Proficient Performance is one but recently, there has been another site mentioned supposedly with better pricing on the same product. Might try a search of this forum for Bassani. Trust me you will get PLENTY of reading material.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM
ATVer1992
Senior User
JCWhitney had muffler-less, dual exhaust, cat back, rear exiting kit for $160 a few years ago. I believe it was made by Heartthrob.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:52 PM
WhiteBlazze
Junior User
yea...they still have those on jcwhitney

I went with Pacesetter headers, catco Y-pipe modified for the 96, and gibson cat-back

love the sound and added HP!

Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
These post were in April, just wondering what you were doing that far back. If WB didn't do somthing yet, I would say custom would be the best way to go.