1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How did you get your cab off the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 PM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you get your cab off the frame?

I tried today with my cherry picker and it got spooky so I stopped to regroup. It got kinda tippy even before I had the full weight on it. How heavy is the cab?

Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 48-52 cabs are lighter, but I gutted my cab completely and removed the doors. I then dropped the steering box. Unbolted the cab and slid it off sideways.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that would depand on what truck U have.. When I pulled mine I Used 2 Ele Wenches bolted to the Rafter if my garage.. the cable went dow to the cab thru a pulley across the top to another pulley and then back up to a chain loop on the same rafter.. came off real easy and easy to put back when I was done..

Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I reenforced my rafter with a vertical brace,then used a comalong with motorcyle tiedowns to lift it off frame. I then rolled the frame out from under and lowered it unto a rolling platform I built out 2x4,s and castors. I reinstalled it the same way, just opposite.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:13 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
I've had mine off a dozen times... by myself !

I use a nylon thick sling about 3" wide looped thru the doors and lift with my engine hoist... I have just enough lift to get it above the frame and I can roll it out sideways..... but you gotta keep a short leash on it to do it... never had a problem but keep the legs way out on the hoist or it gets all puckery, ya know ???

john

Old 04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
fordgo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you got the cab stripped and the doors off buy a 12 pack and invite three friends over you can git er done i dont think its more than 200lbs ten years ago i took mine off the first time with myself and one other person if you doing it by yourself pick one side of the cab up slide a sheet of three quarter inch plywood under it and and use it as a ramp off to the side just a thought thats what i did last time when i took mine back off last winter

Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took everything out of the cab and then attached 4 Ancras( motorcycle tie-downs; cam action type) to the cab and to the overhead ceiling rafters and inched up the cab. Then rolled the frame from under it. It just took the 3 of us; me, myself and I. It's real easy. Just make sure everything is secure.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fordgo
if you got the cab stripped and the doors off buy a 12 pack and invite three friends over you can git er done i dont think its more than 200lbs ten years ago i took mine off the first time with myself and one other person if you doing it by yourself pick one side of the cab up slide a sheet of three quarter inch plywood under it and and use it as a ramp off to the side just a thought thats what i did last time when i took mine back off last winter
Watch an episode or two of American Hotrod !!!

Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
I've had mine off a dozen times... by myself !

I use a nylon thick sling about 3" wide looped thru the doors and lift with my engine hoist... I have just enough lift to get it above the frame and I can roll it out sideways..... but you gotta keep a short leash on it to do it... never had a problem but keep the legs way out on the hoist or it gets all puckery, ya know ???

john
I did the same, bought my engine hoist with this in mind, and made sure I had enough lift. Used the 1/2 ton setting, doesn't weigh 1000 lbs. Then rolled the frame put from under, actually put a jack under the rear pumpkin, and slid it out sideways at the back..

One person job. Gotta be careful putting it back on, to not scratch the cab near the front door post.

the specs said 111 inches I think.. the new one (fixed) at HF says 117, and the foldable says 103.. I have the foldable.

I did it in a garage with 8 foot ceiling.
Used a 4 inch tow strap thru the windows (doors still on).

Sam

Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
If you want to leave the body in one place and roll out the frame, this might help...I just switched frames from my panel to my pickup for the fourth or fifth time; this was the first time not done in my driveway. Don't ask why.

Actually, the panel body is easier, since it is better balanced. I use a combo of 2 floor jacks, some long doubled up 2x4s with a few saw horses, some jackstands and assorted blocks of wood.

The pickup cab wants to fall forward, since the heavy firewall juts out forward of the front cab mounting points; so, if you don't pick it from above as mentioned in earlier posts, you have to keep the front of the cab higher than the rear a few inches or more or it will fall forward. Not for the faint of heart.

Once you get the body up a little ways you can take off the rear tires and put a floor jack or something under the rear end and push the frame forward out from the body. You might have to do a few rejackulations to clear the running board supports at the front body mount area, but maybe not.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
That does not bend the doors or de-form the roof?

Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
That does not bend the doors or de-form the roof?
No effect that I can see.. the cab doesn't weigh that much empty.
(and I've seen lots of stories where others have done the same, so I wasn't concerned)

Sam

Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Cab removal

I built a rolling dolly that is the same height as the frame on wheels, slide two
2 x 6 front and back under cab, and two across dolly.

I can move cab myself by alternately manually lifting front and back sideways.

Tom

Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordgo
The 12 pack and 3 more dudes plan works like a charm! I'll be luring them back over soon to set the cab on the frame to mock up the eng. & trans mounts. It's pretty light with a person on each corner.

Ron

Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I used a web strap and my trusty Bobcat skid steer loader! I also had a person to watch and make sure nothing got hung up, but the Bobcat did it all.

Quick Reply: How did you get your cab off the frame?