what's wrong?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:11 PM
FordRacing2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's wrong?

My 2.3 liter ford truck engine, has a horrible knocking. The engine runs perfect acording to the gauges, but it still knocks. I've run seafoam and other Oil treatments threw it hoping it was dirt but it hasn't gone away. It soulds like it is coming from the valves, but the engine doesn't have pushrods, so could it be the lifters?
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:13 PM
FordRacing2
Freshman User
what's wrong?

The engine is a 89' and my Chilton manuel says that it doesn't have pushrods, it says that it is cam drivin'. It is fuel injected (MPI). Thought that this info would be useful.

Old 08-08-2003, 04:23 PM
canzus
Elder User
what's wrong?

Okay, I hate to say it, But...

You either have a junked engine, or the cam timing
is way off, which may end up as a junk engine.

A serious knocking is probably the rods trying to
hammer the rest of the bearings out of their bores,
it's time for a rebuilt/replacement engine...

Old 08-08-2003, 04:30 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User
what's wrong?

Before we perform last rites let's use a stethoscope to isolate the engine noise. It could be a broken cam follower, they can make some nasty noise. Basically listen above and below the head gasket. If the noise is above, then pull the cam cover. If below, shut off the engine, turn it by hand and see if you can recreate the noise. If you can by reversing direction of crank (if OK for this engine) you are looking at rod/piston pin problems.

Fastest solution is to replace, but if it is in the head, it can be saved - IMHO.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 PM
ngneer
New User
I too,have the 2.3L in a Ranger and having what sounds like the same issue. Sounds exactly like a lifter not oiling. This is my first Ranger and 4 cyl. Know nothing abt it. After afew minutes, or, at a traffic signal it will stop and runs perfect, then at next 1 starts the rattle again. Any ideas? Also what would be a good book that would cover this truck and this motor only. Haynes etc, only has small section to this motor. Thanks folks

Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check the "cam followers" and the "lifter thing"cant remeber what there called but they do come apart the cam follower rest on them had them blow apart in the stock car

Search this Thread