6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Removing those sunvisor stickers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:14 PM
rtoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing those sunvisor stickers

HELP......I would like to know if anyone has figured out how to get ride of those sunvisor warning stickers?

Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 PM
rhenriksen
Freshman User
Goof-Off...

Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know that I would use Goof Off on sunvisor material...If I really felt that I had to get the sunvisor stickers off I would first try to heat it up with a hair dryer. See what happens.

Haven't gone out to look at mine but it seems that I remember that some of these stickers are impregnated into the material...if so would be hard to remove.

The other thing is...what if you only can get part of it off. Yuck...that would look pretty bad IMO.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:01 AM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cigarette lighter fluid.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 AM
rhenriksen
Freshman User
Well, don't have my truck yet so can't compare visors, but that's what I used successfully on my wife's BMW to remove the same stickers.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:04 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I tried Goof off on the truck I turned back into Ford....it worked, VERY scary...I was worried I would melt the visor....I am NOT suggesting to use the stuff...I would HATE to suggest something that could ruin you visors SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....I do know the quicker you get the sticker off...i.e. when the truck is new you are better off....TAKE THE VISORS OFF THE TRUCK...do it in the house where they will lay flat ...

Old 04-09-2005, 07:22 AM
rtoy
Senior User
Tim........Was your visor vinyl or that soft fluffy material? Mine is the later..........and yes........these stickers are impregnated into the material...

Last edited by rtoy; 04-09-2005 at 07:23 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Mine was the soft fluffy ones...now they are on my SD, becasue the new SD's do not have the second visor behind the main one....so I traded them off my X. I did not know they made anything except the furry ones

Old 04-09-2005, 08:31 AM
rhenriksen
Freshman User
Ah - the visor I used Goof-off on was vinyl.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:06 AM
05bluehog
Senior User
I got mine off... boy was that a hassle. My visors are the soft cloth type. First off please note that my visors are black and I can not gaurantee you'll have the same visual results that I did. ....
Test the cleaning process first in an area to see if the cleaner (GoofOff) does not leave any evidence!

Here what I found works and doesn't work. Remember that you'll need lots of time (I think it took me 2+ hours to try all my methods and types of glue removers). Make sure you don't poke or cut a hole in the fabric!

Here is what I found to work. I tried heating them up... didn't seem to help. I eventually ended up crossing my fingers and going for it. The best tool was a good pair of flat tipped tweezers. I found the corner (check all four) that was the least secure (these things are a cloth iron on and bonded real well). I started by lifting the loosest corner and slowly pulling (which tears the stickers) from left to right or vice versa... this is the sticker grain direction. You'll only get about an 1/8-1/4" up at a time. Tear it back a 1/2" or so and then lift the next bit of the sticker and pull it back the 1/2". Continue until you've got it about 3/4" wide. Then firmly press against the fabric with one hand (help against streching it badly) and with the other hand grab the loose area and tear that entire section off. This will leave the dried on glue and since I have a Harley the visors are black and the glue looked real bad. Continue this same approach with picking up the next area (corner you started from) and tearing off each section lengthwise.

Once they are off... I removed the glue with a clean, soft, no color cloth to prevent bleeding (I used paper towels but they did leave lots of fiber) Put GoofOff on (GooGone does not work) and dab and rub the area. Keep rotating the cloth to a clean area so the glue stays on the cloth and doesn't soak back into your visor. You won't get it all off the first try. Wait a couple hours to completely dry and vacuum the loose flakes and fibers off. Then start the cleaning of the area again with a clean cloth. After a few time (3 for me and acouple days) you'll have sticker & glue free visors.

TAKE YOUR TIME and you'll be happy you did !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 05bluehog; 04-09-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 AM
dragula
Junior User
I started to try to take the stickers off of my visors a couple of weeks ago but when I realized how well they were stuck, I stopped trying.

One thing that I was curious about was if there would be any legal aspects of removing the stickers since they are factory safety warning decals.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
No legal aspects, just like the tags on your mattress

Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
timgonz98
Freshman User
I Kinda like the origional look of the stickers. I thought about taking mine off but I think I will leave them on. Who knows, If this truck ever becoms a classic I will still have the Origional stickers. I dont know about the chances of the truck becoming a classic but it is a thought.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 AM
t_j82
Elder User
Mattress tags?????

Tim,
When your doorbell rings answer it! It will be the mattress tag police there to arrest you for illeagal tampering with a warning device. You had better check your pillows as well to be sure they comply before the tag police get there.......

Wish I had this forum when I attempted to remove my visor stickers while waiting for my other half to come out from some store... It was not pretty to say the least

Old 04-10-2005, 08:16 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Pillows...did not know they had them...I'll be right back

They are gone now

Quick Reply: Removing those sunvisor stickers