Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

SRT vs. SVT vs. GM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put it this way, i wouldn't be stuffing 1 little turbo on there and expect it to do the job. about 8 ought to do the trick rather nicely. (one for each cylinder) i really don't know what one would do with the right setup, but it would be interesting none the less. i know them belts are not for show, my dad's trencher uses the same style belt just a little shorter. it is the entire drive belt for the hole torque conversion system on it.

i think you will see more of diesel as they progress in the next few years.

i thought a SVT was a lot more than a regular F150 like 10 grand or so (i was thinking more than that). idk i am asking. that leaves a lot of money for tuning to be done after buying the supercharger.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:51 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000BLK54
Any of ya'll actually purchase and tune a Ford Modular with an aftermarket blower personally?
Yup.
Checked my gallery lately???
I didn't fit it myself (didn't trust myself with the spanners enough), however I personally tuned over a week long session on the dyno.
I know a LOT more than most about these Modular motors, and while I am fan of them, their base design could be improved.

I would like to see something around 6.0l capacity.
DOHC, 4V heads, Variable Valve Timing, and most of all, an equal bore and stroke...
Direct Fuel Injection would be nice aswell... Can I be asking too much???

And supercharging as an option.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
put it this way, i wouldn't be stuffing 1 little turbo on there and expect it to do the job. about 8 ought to do the trick rather nicely. (one for each cylinder)

Only need one. A basic T67 will support 700+ hp and spool up hard and early on a 5.4L and I would assume similar results for engines of comparable displacement.

Like I said BigF350...that post wasn't directed towards you... Australian modulars enjoy the hard parts that simply are not offered in the States for any reasonable cost. I'd love to get a 32V 5.4 intake that is stock on your car. All that's available here is the stock Navi intake and Sullivan's full on race castings. Hopefully Sullivan will cast 2V intakes and then the SOHC 5.4's will take off n/a or boosted.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Musclecar_Fan
Looks like the only SRT that the GT is quicker than in 1/4 mile is the Neon. So much for me being wrong. We won't bother comparing the Mustang to the GC SRT-8. You can bring up price, but that drum has been beaten too much.
You were wrong. The Mustang is quicker than the Neon AND the GC and withing 2 - 3 tenths of everything else. So much for the Mustang not being a performance car.

Your point about the GT-40 is ridiculous. One who spends 150k on an exotic car is not gonna tarnish its value with aftermarket software, exhaust, and pulley upgrades. They are going to leave the car as it is. The GT-40 is not a car to be tampered wit by any means. Plus the fact that you conveniently left out Viper upgrades. Hennessey has tweaked Vipers to 1,000 HP with the Venom upgrades.
Except there have already been GT's that have gotten SCT tunes and whatnot. So much for that theory.

Chrysler takes pride in their performance cars, and the 6.1l Hemi proves this. Dodge could easily hit the aftermarket like Ford/SVT, and have the SRT-8 Charger come with a s/c 5.7 Hemi from the factory. The point behind my Civic/supercharger comment was that anyone can hit the aftermarket and end up with a super or turbo - charged Mustang. You can't buy an N/A 6.1L Hemi V8 aftremarket. Like I said before, you get what you pay for. If it was so expensive for Ford to s/c the Stang, then why does that not reflect in the price? I would like to see you explanation for that Ben99GT.
Chrysler takes pride in their performance cars and Ford doesn't? You can't buy a 6.1L Hemi from the aftermarket? WTF are you going on about? You can't buy a 6.1L Hemi from the aftermarket because IT ISN'T OUT YET!! Once it comes out you'll be able to buy aftermarket N/A parts AND s/c kits. Unless, of course, it is a total flop.

Expensive for Ford to s/c the Stang reflecting in the price? The fact that the Stang is less expensive and outperforms anything Mopar has under $70,000 is a bad thing how? I would like to see your explanation for that Musclecar Fan.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
It is really sad that you even bother to put a stang upto a neon. i commend dodge for putting it there. where does that put the focus? what about the old ford SHO taurus? did it fall of the face of the planet?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Lightning proves that Ford is taking pride...I mean, I know it's not out yet, but neither is the Hemi...

Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd also like to see how the aftermarket responds to the 6.1L Hemi....it hasn't exactly been stellar for the 5.7. Since DC isn't releasing the coding that allows tuners to reprogram the PCM to gain full control over all engine functions it's really putting a hurt on what aftermarket suppliers can put out. GSM and STS had numerous problems with the PCM freaking out in the Hemi Rams and had to resort to piggyback fuel controllers for auxillary fuel injectors because there is no way to reprogram the timing and injector tables through the PCM. Both Ford and GM have numerous options as far as tuning. The Hemi's are makng impressive numbers with nitrous and with what little boost they are able to run...but they are running into a brickwall until someone cracks that PCM.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
I will break this down, like I did a long time ago.

Viper VS GT-40

Factory HP:

GT-40 = 550.

Viper SRT-10 = 500
The difference is GT's dyno about 560 rwhp bone stock, versus the Viper's 450 rwhp. There is quite a bit larger difference than the factory rating suggests.

HP with untouched engine: (5.4l V8 VS 8.3l V10)

GT-40 - 300

Viper SRT-10 = 500
Can you say fuzzy math? The same basic engine as the GT's minus the blower was making in excess of 400 flywheel horsepower in 2000. Sure, we can compare the Navigator's 300 horsepower to the Dodge Ram's 300 horsepower V10. Both are truck motors, it's ridiculous to compare the Navigator's 5.4L to the Viper's V10, the Navigator isn't tuned for horsepower but rather torque.

HP after adding a blower to the GT-40 AND Viper:

GT-40 = 550

Viper SRT-10 = 700-800 (roughly)
Except the GT is tuned to last 100,000 miles, run on 91 octane, meet emissions standards, and federal drive-by noise regulations. In other words it is choked up and conservatively tuned and still makes better than 550 horsepower AT THE WHEELS. Look at the 03/04 Cobras with their little 4.6Ls. They can make 500 rwhp with a pulley change, tune and exhaust. The GT can easily make in excess of 700 rwhp (more than 700 at the engine, BTW) without ever pulling a valve cover or swapping a blower. That is performance my friend, and it doesn't require a $40,000 Hennessy turbo kit or modifications than can't be removed in an hour.

The GT-40 comes with a blower from the factory. If MOPAR did the same thing, its game over for the GT. My point here is, Ford has to use a blown modified engine just to get on the Viper's playing field.
Too bad the Viper doesn't come with a blower, eh?

Old 04-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
his point was the mopar and chevy guys can add a supercharger and a tuner and smoke you. if you add a tuner and a supercharger (no wait that was done for you from the factory)

that was his point.
Except modulars have flat out made more power than Gen III Chevys in boosted applications.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Lariat, where have you been for seven years now? Chrysler is an American company. Mercedes is German. The two companies merged back in 98 to form DaimlerChrysler. Chrysler is still American owned.

DCX at a Glance

So, unless you are willing to provide a link that Chrsler isn't Amertican, I am calling BS on your statement.

Best as always.
Anybody in the know can tell you the DB/Chrysler merger wasn't a merger at all, it was DB buying out Chrysler. DC is a german company bro, face the facts.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
The Vuper can't hang with the GTs? Lets see some links or numbers Lariat.

Heres one for you.

Take a good look at the chart where they compare 1/4 mile times, and 0-X times. So you buy a GT for 70 grand more to get a few tenths better than the 80k Viper. Then get beat in 1/4 mile. Then on top of that, they back the powertrain with a lame 3 yr/36,000 Mile powertrain warranty. Looks like the Viper is "hanging" with the GT Lariat. And in more than 1 area. Don't forget that the GT has 50 more HP according to Ford. (MT wrote it at 500, same as the Viper) The GT makes the Viper look like a bargan.

Best as always.
Why don't you read the comparo between the GT, Enzo, and the Porsche Carrera. The GT ran the 1/4 in 11.3 seconds at 132 mph. MM&FF also ran a stock GT to 10.90s @ 131. The Viper's aren't even in the GT's ballpark my friend.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
BTW, where did you get 370 rwhp out of a stock Cobra R??? I wouldn't mind seeing the source, thats all.
I've seen numerous dyno's for the '00 R, most are actually 360-ish, however there are two published dynos of the '00 R that I have seen. It was in MM&FF and Motor Trend, and in both cases the car made slightly more than 370 rwhp and 380+ rwtq.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
i'll add fuel to the fire. where are you at if you make a trip to lingenfelter with the vette?

looks like 725hp if you can afford it? can you say bye bye viper and GT .

let alone any of the other motors that they can make smoke from.

maybe lingenfelter should become gm's SVT program?

500hp hummer. i can see it now.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
As I understood it, Daimler was the parent company. But after further research it looks to me like the company is 50% American 50% German owned. The Senior Vice President of Chrysler is Trevor Creed. I can't seem to find the CEO's name anywhere. "Dieter" something. Can't remeber his last name. Not that it matters. Again, something irrelevent to the matter at hand.
And who is the CEO? Where are DC headquarters? I eagerly await your reply.
i'll add fuel to the fire. where are you at if you make a trip to lingenfelter with the vette?

looks like 725hp if you can afford it? can you say bye bye viper and GT .

let alone any of the other motors that they can make smoke from.

maybe lingenfelter should become gm's SVT program?

500hp hummer. i can see it now.
More fuel to the fire, the GT with a pulley swap and a tune will match or exceed that number.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben99GT
The difference is GT's dyno about 560 rwhp bone stock, versus the Viper's 450 rwhp. There is quite a bit larger difference than the factory rating suggests.

Again, I would like the source...
I know Ford historically has quoted some down rated figures (and some optimistic ones, but thats another thread...) for thier power outputs.
But I very much doubt that they would place a conservative figure oof about 20%.
Using your figures, you say there is about 670hp at the flywheel...
I doubt it. I doubt it alot.

They can make 500 rwhp with a pulley change, tune and exhaust. The GT can easily make in excess of 700 rwhp (more than 700 at the engine, BTW) without ever pulling a valve cover or swapping a blower. That is performance my friend, and it doesn't require a $40,000 Hennessy turbo kit or modifications than can't be removed in an hour. Too bad the Viper doesn't come with a blower, eh?
So you seen this done?
You are making the (incorrect) assumption that this is all that is required from prehaps seeing Mustang Cobras have similar performance gains.
There are many things involved in making more power.
You mentioned a couple.
Exhaust. Boost. Fuel mapping.

Other stock things that I don't think will make it at 700hp -
The Fuel system to deliver that quantity of fuel.
The ability of the standard intake manifold to flow that quantity of air.
The Valve springs, with an increase in boost, these quite often won't be stiff enough stock.

And who is the CEO? Where are DC headquarters? I eagerly await your reply.
Completely irrelevant.
DC is a merged company.
Both parts have an equal say.
Mercedes have provided more components to Chrysler, but that is merely because Chrysler knows far more about marketing than engineering.

And if you really want to start pushing that wheel barrow. Consider this:
GM has ownership, part ownership, or interests in over 8 other automotive companies outside of the US.
Ford sells cars to around 132 different countries around the world.
If you think the Ford sites in each of those countries, or the other GM companies, don't get a say in the way the company is run, you would be very much mistaken.

The days of the American automotive manufacturer (like it or loathe it) have been over since the early 80's.
It is a global automotive industry.
No manufacturer can survive on purely the American market (as Oldsmobile has found out).
Now days it is a Global automotive world. Where the CEO and head office are located mean nothing.

BTW I was unable to find the Dyno graph for the 370rwhp stock Cobra R.
If someone has a copy, could they please scan it and post it? Thanks.
FYI my car (4V 5.4l) dynoed at - what I thought was reasonably healthy - 316 rwhp stock.

Last edited by BigF350; 04-11-2005 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: SRT vs. SVT vs. GM