2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Scab wavy door story, ch. 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
rts9364
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Scab wavy door story, ch. 1

So I finally went to the dealership body shop yesterday about my wavy SCab door problem. Mine is significantly less noticable in warmer weather, but the guy could see it anyway. He said he had seen it before (surprised he admitted that), but he basically told me that all of us will have to live with the problem, since there has not been a real "fix" yet. He said they have not fixed any of them because of this. He also told me that Ford is aware of the problem even as the trucks roll of the assy lines around the country...but they havent done anything?? I find that hard to believe. He said he heard the doors were rippling since there was no support behind the sheet metal skin. I thought it was happening due to the sound deadening material contracting in the cold??

Has anyone found out any new info on this subject? (I know this topic has been beaten to death)

rts

Old 04-07-2005, 12:53 PM
czcwest
Freshman User
I have heard different stories on this matter. Some guys are saying they are using bondo to correct the problem or should I say cover up the problem temporarily until the bondo fails. I have also heard of some guys getting new door skins put on. I don't know if that has happened yet or not. There are a bunch of posts on this same issue. Hope this gives you a little info. I for one would not allow them to place bondo on my 30k new truck to cover up an obvious engineering flaw.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
rts9364
Senior User
I agree with you...about the bondo and everything else. As I said above, I have read all or most of the threads on this subject, I am just searching for any new info. I am getting semi-close to 36k miles, so I need to do something...if Im going to do anything about it. I talked with the body shop again today and they told me they would be glad to order the "mastic patch" kit and try it out, but they have no idea if it will work or not. I have heard mixed reviews of this "fix." The guy at the BS claims they have not performed this procedure on any of these trucks...so I dont know if that fix will be worth the time. In my opinion, a new door is the only hope for a remedy...but I know Ford wont open that can of worms; I wouldnt if I were them.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Beefford
Senior User
Took my truck in this week. Getting new skins.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Bozack
Junior User
Got new skins

Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
czcwest
Freshman User
There you go some guys have had the skins replaced. Hopefully with success. I for one would make sure you have this well documented that way you have a legit complaint when you pass 36k. It could put FORD in a posistion to fix the problem even if the warranty is expired.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:08 PM
insynco
Junior User
Bozack, You got new skins, can you give us the details now? Are you satisfied? does the paint match? What is the TSB number??

Old 04-10-2005, 10:09 AM
insynco
Junior User
Does anybody know what the TSB number is on this door skin replacement?? It appears that certain posters that have claimed to have gotten new skins through ford, do not want to reveal the TSB or give any details, which raises the question:
Did they really get new skins. I do not believe it, and no one else should either, until someone shows proof that ford is replacing them under warranty.
It looks like rts9364 is right on with his post.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:35 PM
czcwest
Freshman User
I don't believe there is a TSB. I couldn't find it. I know some guys have gone through the whole Bondo thing with it and some have had the skins replaced. Or say they are getting the skins replaced. There are some other posts on this isssue.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
mtkablake
New User
Don't let them BONDO your new truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI, Anybody with the "wavy rear SCAB doors";

Don't let them BONDO your new truck!!!!!!!!!!!! .....or replacd and paint new skins!!!!!! It can be fixed simply by removing the rubber sound deadening pad.

My fix was really not a DIY fix, but the exact fix outlined in the Ford TSB "03-26-4" that "I did myself". It took me a bout 3 hours (because I was so careful and taking a chance that I could make it worse) to fix my
door simply by removing the "factory mastic". Some are calling it "sound deadening" material, but I think not, but I’m not certain. Since I have found out it is.

I VERY CAREFULLY used acetone, infrared heat lamps, and a wide putty knife to remove the 6" X 13" material. I can tell you I was so meticulously careful not to slip with the putty knife, and not to spill or drip the acetone down into the bottom of the
door, or not to scorch the paint with the heat lamps, for fear of making my door worse. My doors are still “perfect” even at minus 22 degrees. I would never accept a “bondo” job, not on a new truck.

My recommendation, other than to DIY (at your own risk), would be to get a copy of the TSB, take it to your dealer, and then discuss it with the “service manager”. Tell him you do not want bondo or new
doors (they will have to paint the new doors and half of your truck to “color match” the unmatchable factory paint) under any circumstances and to please contact the factory regarding the fix, especially if he has any doubt as to EXACTLY how to do it. Ford support KNOWS ALL ABOUT THE FIX! Don’t let them “blow you off”; you paid for a “new truck, not one with bondo or a new paint job. It can be fixed according to the TSB, but not by an ignorant service person. I know, I fixed mine. LOL!

A lesson I learned: Carefully look over and carefully test drive any vehicle BEFORE you accept delivery! However, I love this truck! I would definitely buy another F-150.

BTW, anybody out there get their “
wavydoor/doors” fixed WITHOUT BONDO OR NEW DOORS? Please post for others. THANKS!
Blake

PS: Check the complete link here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288067&page=1&pp=20&highlight=wav y+door <O></O>

Old 04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
WEB
Senior User
I had the mastic removed as the TSB said, still wavy.

Next they tried another type of mastic sent out by Ford per the TSB, still Wavy

They did something involving sanding and painting, no waves!

The Ford rep said they NOT replace the sheet metal or the doors.

This was last summer.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:06 PM
mtkablake
New User
Smile just wondering......

Originally Posted by WEB
I had the mastic removed as the TSB said, still wavy.

Next they tried another type of mastic sent out by Ford per the TSB, still Wavy

They did something involving sanding and painting, no waves!

The Ford rep said they NOT replace the sheet metal or the doors.

This was last summer.
I'm not from Missouri</ST1, but, by chance did you pull the inside door panel and look to see if they REALLY removed the butyl pad? On the other hand, would you do it and report back? There is another butyl pad at the bottom of your door, take a look. I'm somewhat convinced that the pad (they now have a new one) contractions caused the waves. Sorry to doubt what the dealer told you, but I have suspicion; my son-in-law is a Ford mechanic. In any case, I’m glad you are satisfied.

Last edited by mtkablake; 04-10-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 AM
WEB
Senior User
I didn't look inside but the dealer showed me what they said was the pads they had taken out and he showed me the ones from the kit they replaced it with. That didn't work and they authorized the next step. I haven't had any ripples come back since they did the body work. I agree that these doors should be replaced but they were very animate about not replacing the doors or the sheet metal and I just gave up. The truck looks like new and they gave me a written guarante that if it did not look like new and the cause was the "Ford" fix they would restore it again. I am happy for now, will I be in 2 or 3 years down the road, we will see. I usually only keep my trucks 3-4 years so I hope I won't have to pay them another visit.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Bozack
Junior User
Insynco as I posted in the MANY other threads involving the rear doors of the Scab w/ problems I will be posting ALL the info including #'s for EVERYTHING that is done to my truck when I have them. As to not believeing me I could care less at this point. I have NEW SKINS for my rear doors. As I have posted several times now. If its not bad enough I have to deal w/ the people @ the dealership that works slower than I would like NOW I have to deal w/ being called a lier from someone that knows NOTHING of what you are talking about. Your post on this site will do nothing for the people that read it for info nor the site itself.

For the rest of you that are having problems as I said before I will be posting everything once I have it. My new skins are in & I've SEEN them w/ my own eyes & have seen the work order. I am waiting on 1 other person to sign off on the work order but go figure he's on vacation. So I wait........ I was told he would be back today / Monday 4-11 / so they will be schedualing my truck to goto the body shop.

Trust me when I say I have not forgotten about you all w/ the same problem. Regaurdless to what other childish individuals may write. When I have the work completed I will post EVERYTHING. I can only hope that the paint matches...

As for the mastic patch the others talk about I have had that done 2x's w/ failure both times / if anyone knows how frustrating buying a new vehicle & to have this happen after several other things I've dealt w/ is me & when I can help the others on here that are patient I'd be more than happy to help you.

If any of you have any specific ?'s feel free to contact me directly

Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
insynco
Junior User
Bozack, Just post the darn TSB number and stop wining. You are keeping everyone in suspense for no good reason. That is not the objective of this forum.