Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil changes...self or dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
densher
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil changes...self or dealer

I was wondering if it is better to change the oil in the PSD using Rotella or similar oil? Or, the dealer using their Motorcraft brand? I don't mind paying a bit more for them to do the work but am wondering about the quality and protection of the oil and filter.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Any good diesel rated oil and a Motorcraft filter is a dandy oil change strategy, and it's a lot cheaper if you do it yourself... plus you know it was done right. It can be a pain, but the dealer is usually sooooo expensive, and the quickie-lube places are soooo likely to screw it up (non-diesel-rated oil, too few quarts, etc.)

Duncan

Old 04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
If you want it done right, do it yourself. Get a new sealing washer for the drain plug. Just be prepared to have nearly FOUR GALLONS of waste oil to properly dispose of.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
if your going dino oil rotella is the way to go.....

Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
pcerra
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a shop change mine once. Nearly a $100 later, walking funny, I decided to change it myself. There is plenty of room under my truck and getting to the filter and oil plug is easy (buy a large diameter filter wrench).

I get the Rotella T at Sam's Club for $35 bucks a case and the filter is about $10 bucks at Auto Zone.

In NY state, anyone that sells motor oil has to take it back. I have a couple old 5 gal TCH fluid buckets that I drain my oil change pans into and I take it back to Sam's when I buy a case.

Have fun. Nothing is better than that black gold running down your arm.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
I like doing it myself. I know it's done right and that there's no oil all over the engine (well, except for the leak that I have on the top of the motor now). I hate it when my mom or girlfriend get their oil changed somewhere and the only thing you smell for a couple days is burning oil because the sloppy mechanic didn't use a funnel when he put the fresh oil in and got it everywhere. Anyway, the money I save from doing the oil and fuel filter changes myself helps when I'm filling my truck up with diesel. But the downside is that I'd imagine that Ford would make a big stink if there was some sort of a problem and blame things on me. The oil changes are simple. Just take your time. I rushed the last time and my ******* didn't open the air vent on the drain pan. By the time I realized that oil was spilling.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:09 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
A Pennzoil Quick Lube near me keeps everything for my owerstrokes in stock. I get diesel oil from 1 gallon jugs that I watch them open. $52 out the door, and thats the full service, all lubed, w/s washer solvent, and disposal. This is my 3rd PSD that they are servicing. Never a problem. Now, I don't have to clean my driveway from my spills and I don't have to dispose of old oil. It would cost me $40 minimum to do it myself. For $12, they are welcome to it. I ran Ford service departments for years. Ford cannot dictate where you have your vehicle serviced. As long as it is serviced, the warranty is valid.