Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Old 04-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Greywolf
Post Fiend
Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation

Three years ago I came through on leave and got introduced to my new garage - it had a roll up door on the front. I guess I was in a hurry, and not thinking too swift I reached up, grabbed it, and succeeded in firmly wedging my fingertips between two of the panels as it closed...

I was standing there looking at my hand sticking out of a crack in the door, wondering what I'd see when I got it open.

People - that hurt so bad I didn't even feel it for the first minute or so!

Needless to say - I redefined PROFANITY...

Two days later I was on my way to my next duty station without one of my fingernails. (You have to get where you gotta go).

I would have to categorize that one as a Class 1 Bonehead Maneuver.

Anyone else have any class 1's they want to mention?

~Wolf

Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
dono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud ofdono has much to be proud of
My brother-in-law pulled his van into his inclined driveway, put it in Park and climbed under to replace a U-joint. As soon as the joint came loose the van rolled backwards over his foot.
Dono

Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
pancake
Elder User
pancake is starting off with a positive reputation.
not in my gaerage .... but i was there

took a vo-tech auto repair class while i was in high school had a 4 bay shop with hydraulic lifts..... had one of the kids in the class bring in theyre own vehicle (dodge ramcharger) we had an adjustable stand that we used to kinda stabilize some of the bigger vehicles well they lifted the truck and put the stand under the rear bumper to keep it stable and when the person was done needless to say they tried lowering it without taking out the stand... fortunately enough the teacher saw it going bad in time and yelled for them to stop before they dropped it nose first on the other car in the bay ahead of it

had another kid try and start a standard car without stepping on the clutch ...he ended up getting it started and managing to swerve enough to hop the stoppers on the front of the alignment rack lift (the lift was all the way down on the floor) it took us a lil while and a few floor jacks to get it back on the lift

Old 04-02-2005, 04:37 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
FERacing66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A couple years back, replacing the front shocks on an old 1990 Dodge Pickup, the wheels are off and its on jackstands, for some reason started it up while in first gear and without putting the cltuch in, BANG truck comes off jackstands and frontend slams on ground and rolls a few feet before I shut the engine off.
Another time, couldnt get the motor to turn over, got tired of getting in evertime I tried start it, so I turn the key while im out of the truck, forget its in gear, its starts and abrustly starts moving, luckily I got in before it hit the fence.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
tightening an alternator belt on a mack truck with the motor running.wrench slipped, i slipped, and stopped/broke the plastic clutch fan with my hand.

can you say ouch???

Old 04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
man i am glad i have not done anything even close to any of those bonner things.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM
JerseysBest
Senior User
JerseysBest is starting off with a positive reputation.
when I worked at the auto parts store/garage, carrying out all the old tires to the back, 2 or 3 on each arm, knocked the welding tanks over onto chevy malibu that was in a bay... Probably the only reason I wasn't fired was because someone left the tanks out and the manager used to yell at the a-techs all the time bout that, but needless to say, I felt like the biggest jacka$$ and kept a low profile for a few days after. You wouldn't believe how much damage those tanks did...

Old 04-02-2005, 07:03 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
christaylor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trying to fix my brother in laws Honda, I dropped a small screw into the engine bay. Now you have to know that this is on the side of the road not in a garage. I could not get to the screw with any tools on hand so I put two straws together and while I was going to get a piece of gum to stick on the end... you guessed it my bro-in-law stuck the straws down there and sucked up mouthful of grease and oil. He was coughing and gaging I thought he swallowed the screw. when I realized what happened I almost peed myself laughing so hard. Then I should him the gum I was chewing and the light went on over his head. He then made me promise not to tell anyone else. So I will just spread it on the internet. (SHHHHH)

Old 04-02-2005, 07:40 PM
OneBang
Freshman User
OneBang is starting off with a positive reputation.
In an effort to maximize space in my garage (workshop), I decided to put my air compressor up into the attic space. I manhandled it up the step ladder thru the hole I cut in the sheetrock ceiling and hit the rafter. Put me off balance and down came the whole mess with me on the bottom. (It's still on the floor right now and will stay there!)

Old 04-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Country Sweetie has a good reputation on FTE.Country Sweetie has a good reputation on FTE.
I havn't done anything like that in the garage.But I was hammering some nails into the wall.And stupid me I looked away to see where I put the picture I was going to hang.Smashed my thumb real good on that one.And I won't even go into what other stupid things I have done.To many to count.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
A guy backed up to our loading dock and delivered the goods through the closed garage door:

Old 04-02-2005, 10:09 PM
CTford
Senior User
CTford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man Jake00, I can't say what I would've done and/or said to that guy (forum rules and really because I don't know- that just doesn't deserve words)

Although didn't we have this same thread a few months ago?

Old 04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
King Triton
Postmaster
King Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud of
Oh boy,do I have some great stories in this department!Well,lets see.One,a guy I know calls me up and wants to know how much I want to install a new garage door.I tell him $100.he says thats too much and that he is going to do it himself.Three days later he calls and says he installed the door but it wont open.I tell him to reread the installation instructions.He calls back the next day and says,I have reread the instructions 5 times and I am tired of messing with it,if you will come over and get it working right,I will give you the $100 you wanted in the first place.So I go and look at his door,he had put the coil springs on backwards and adjusted them in the wrong direction!I was surprized that they didnt come apart on him.
Next,a good friend of mine decided to put a snowmobile engine on his gocart,he said,man this cart is going to scream!Well he got it all put together and decided to start it up in his garage.Well,he hops in,turns the key,it starts,with the throttle stuck wide open.Oh yeah,one other thing.He hadnt insalled any brakes yet.Yup you guessed it,it took off like a bat out of hades with him doing all the screaming,right into the garage door.I missed it,but when I was paying him a visit later that evening I asked,what happened to your garage door?He wouldnt tell me,his wife did!And I teased him like Phillis Dillers hair!
One more,A dummy I know was trying to prove how bad he was,and was holding a sledge hammer by the end of the handle and then touching it too his nose.Well this moron decides to scare a buddy of mine and lifts the hammer over his head and is going to bring it down and stop it above my buddies knee.My buddy was sitting in a chair at the time.Well el-stupido brings the hammer down too fast and cant stop it.So,my buddy ended up with a shattered kneecap!
Ok,one last one.I had bought a new airnailer and was in my garage showing it to my brother.He said,how far will it shoot.I said I dont know,lets find out.So,I grabbed a stick to hold the safety in,and shot a nail across the yard.Well at the time,I didnt realize that it would send that nail 40ft across my yard and stick into the vinyl siding on my house!Ooooops!

Old 04-02-2005, 11:53 PM
kgwld1
Junior User
kgwld1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shot myself in my foot with my nail gun not once but twice.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 PM
peppermrj
Senior User
peppermrj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Set the oil drain plug on the ground at night in a gravel driveway. Needless to say on a saturday evening before a long sunday trip. Could not find it even in the daylight. had to wait for the parts store to open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.