Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage... - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Old 04-03-2005, 02:15 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.
I removed the oil pan (full of oil) on an AT and set it aside under the car. As I skootched around on my back to inspect the valve body, I inadvertently dunked the whole back of my head into the oil pan.

A true IDIOT moment.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
wickymustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
RocketScience, that isn't an idiot moment, it is called a hot oil hair tretment. Doing this will keep your hair soft and silky/shiny for a few years.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Ed Willmott is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I was thirteen I wanted to shoot some hoops in the driveway, but moms car was in the way. I convinced her to let me start it like Dad sometimes let me do. The big difference was Dad's was auto, Mom had a stick.

I popped the clutch and almost put the car through the closed garage door. I didn't see allowance money again until I was 16 years old.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:54 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
well i take that back i have done stupid stuff just none of it has hurt.

the first stupid thing i did. i wanted to rotate the tires on my car like every good car stuard. so i jack up the back of the car and put jack stands under it for safety. i move the jack to the front.
i figured i would get in the middle of the front end and jack up the car. well in the process of jacking up the frontend of the car and putting the jack stands under the front end, i find out that it was already setting on the left side before i got the right side under it. so i give the jack a few more pumps and i get the jack stand under there. i look down and see oil. i said a few words and lowered the jack. (i put the jack through the oil pan)

i proceded to call my dad and the junk yard. they had one and we went and picked it up on sat. no problem right. wrong. a front wheel drive car you have to jocky the whole motor to do it.

oil pan 35 dollars
oil dry 5 dollars
labor to put in oil pan 225 dollar

some things money can buy, but learning where not to jack up a car, to save money by rotating your tires yourself. PRICELESS

one more this time in the shop 3k miles later. we have a pit mind you. i am careful to jack up in the right spot on the car. checked that umpteen times. changed oil. lowered jack. went to back it out of the shop i hear something hit the front plactic baffle along with a thud and a splash. my dad start laughing hystarically and motions me on outside. when i come in the shop i realize that i had not moved the oil pan before i had lower the car and that the car didn't have enough ground clearance and knocked the oil plan into the pit.

dad says "You have quite a time don't ya boy."

Last edited by duramaximizer; 04-03-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Greywolf
Post Fiend
Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
I remember a tech at a Japanese car shop that had a drain plug fall into the oil drain pan. His habit was to put it on top of the air filter, and since it wasn't there - he assumed it was all good! (Forgetting that he dropped it).

He test drove it around the block, in the middle of El Cajon California at record speed (it was a 240 Z), only to find the boss standing in the bay he was working out of with the plug in his hand - (the boss had spotted the oil trail leading out of the bay to the street)

"FORGET SOMETHING?"

(He asked, quietly...)

Last edited by Greywolf; 04-03-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
chrono4 is a name known to allchrono4 is a name known to allchrono4 is a name known to allchrono4 is a name known to allchrono4 is a name known to allchrono4 is a name known to all
well, i was cuttin the springs off a truck, cause i needed the main leaf off them. i was blowing the rivets off and someone came up behind me, i turned around and caught the torch head right on the wrist. luckily i didnt hit the flame or id be missin a peice of my wrist. got a nice burn the shape of a cuttin head on my arm.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Mr.Ford 351W
Senior User
Mr.Ford 351W is starting off with a positive reputation.
umm the Dumbest thing I ever done in MY garage was stepping into oil container, oil
when into my shoes!! AND spilled in the floor, big mess!!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
haroldservice
Senior User
haroldservice is starting off with a positive reputation.
slid the door shut on a van with my thumb inside and the door closed, popped my thumdb like a grape.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:15 PM
79 F250 4XoVeRu
New User
79 F250 4XoVeRu is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive done some pretty dumb things in life

lets see the dumbest things ive done... well i think i have too many to add... but will add a few..
first one pertains to automotive...
i just had gotten my transfercase back from the shop that rebuilt it..spent the time to put it in (by myself,good thing wasnt a very heavy one.just a little in/out box) well got all done and went to test drive it and didnt realize until about a mile from home.. OOOps i didnt put oil in it..well it was shot already so no reason not to drive it home. made it home w/o problem... just a bit of noise. well the next day i went back to the transfer case shop... and told them what i did..needless to say i felt stupid! and of course they were laughing at me. but one good thing came of it,i did end up getting a good transfer case,not one of them in/out boxes. new process 205. and i dont think i will ever forget to add oil to something again.. i always think about it when i am working on something automotive.

well the next one has nothing to do with automotive..but i seen some others similiar.
i was installing some carpet tackstrip on cement one time.. and missed n hit the wrong nail.. yep hit my finger..and blew the end of my finger apart...
also time i almost lost the end of finger using bloody mary knife(carpet knife)
think id learn from it,nope did same thing 2 weeks later on thumb.(these were cuts that required stitches..but i used good ole duct tape... and went back to work

Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
WhiteBlazze
Junior User
WhiteBlazze is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.
WhiteBlazze,
Now that's one IDIOT!

Old 04-04-2005, 03:18 PM
sayno2rice
New User
sayno2rice is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lightbulb

I was doing an engine swap in my buddies back yard on a Ford Thunderbird. We set the drive train from the donor car on the ground then proceeded to jack the car up about 4' off the ground. We took another car and a chain and pulled the drivetrain out from under it. My buddies intelligence was running wild that day and he decides it would be awesome to cut this car in half with a sawzall. It wouldn't have been so bad except that he started cutting the car while it was on jackstands, blocks, and old wheels still 4' off the ground. So he is inside the car cutting through the floor board when I noticed what he was doing. Before I could get to him to tell him to stop, WHAM! When he got all the way through the floor, the roof buckled, sunroof busted on his head, and the car fell to the ground (almost). He ended up with 4 large cuts and 127 stitches from the roof glass in his head. Not to mention what a time we had trying to recover my jackstands after that. Needless to say, I didn't ask him to help me put the drivetrain in the new car.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:08 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by RocketScience
WhiteBlazze,
Now that's one IDIOT!
i have seen that done in real life. i was in costa rica for a spanish club trip.

i thouhgt it was ingenious considering what they have to work with for tools.

if you ever saw one of their gas stations you would get my drift.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
haroldservice
Senior User
haroldservice is starting off with a positive reputation.
these were cuts that required stitches..but i used good ole duct tape... and went back to work
you and i must belong to the same hmo, that's what i did. :{)

Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
WhiteBlazze
Junior User
WhiteBlazze is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RocketScience
WhiteBlazze,
Now that's one IDIOT!

BTW....that's not me!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.