Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:37 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of these are funny while some make me go ouch!

How did the bullets for the bb gun out of the nails go?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:37 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts
One of my wife's previous co-workerd decided to put a 6" lift kit on his blazer one weekend, all was well until monday morning when he decided to go to work and the blazer was about 3 inches taller than the garage door opening. OOPS!

Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Haha quite a story to tell the boss why you're late. At least you could.. air down your tires? lol what would you do?

Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RomerB2
How did the bullets for the bb gun out of the nails go?
They worked pretty good. It was a cheap pump operated one. We hack-sawed the end off of the nails about 1/8" long and dropped it down the barrel. There are probably 50 or so stuck in the foam insulation on the garage doors. Dad only got mad when they started to throw coins at the door and really tear up the doors.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
1970Custom
Postmaster
First one was working on my '85 rx7, I was replacing all the O-rings in the oil cooler, got done re-installed it, fired it up and about 30 sec later there was about 3qt of oil on the ground........I forgot the main oil line.

Second has to do with bottle rockets inside the shop.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1970Custom, let me guess on the second one.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Grsyhands
Senior User
Some of these are classic. Don't have anything to big myself but was there for a couple goodies.

This past summer one of my buds was getting an older Dodge 1500 wheelchair van, he just sold on e-bay, ready for the new owner. He accidently let it run out of gas and the carb/mech fuel pumps are a bear to refire after that. Had to prime through the carb. He couldn't get the doghouse off all the way so he just slid the top of the air cleaner over and poured in some fuel. As you might guess the engine backfired through the carb and whooosh... flames cought the doghouse and as he ran to get an exstinguisher the fiberglass roof cought, then the 5 gal gas can he left next to the doghouse. Just kept getting worse. Luckily he was on the outside of the shop and not inside and it is a cinderblock building. The van burned to the ground, the flat roof on the building got a bit cooked and finally the vinyl siding on the house next store melted off, all before the firemen arrived. He realized he maybe shouldn't do everything in a hurry.

Second story, a little more humorous but equally stupid. A couple of us were standing around watching another bud finish washing his old yamaha xs outside the garage. It started to rain just a bit and my bud decided to put the bike back in the garage. He starts it up and thinks he should impress us with a wheelie on the way in. Awesome, lost control and ran right into the back of the garage, totaled the front end. About an hour later one of the other guys calls him up to say "Tom, did you know most accidents happen within 10 miles of your house". Perfect.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
balddave
Freshman User
All of this is just too funny for words. I have experienced many boneheadded moments in my days. here are a few.

1. while working at a tire store the new guy had racked a car a bit to far foreward on the rack. The car went up fine. And everything was fine, until he removed the second rear tire..... Nosedive. Back end of the car ended up straight up in the air as the car leaned foreward and slowly slid down the rack. Resting ,Believe it or not, gently on its bumper without leaving a scratch.

This was an outside lift in a heavy traffic area. All the drivers started clapping and honking their horns. The priceless look on his face as he stood there with the tire in his hands watching the car do its thing was beyone words.

2. two newly hired mechanics, with these two I use the term mechanic loosely, were working together to figure out a no start condition on a late model camaro. I was working in the bay next to them. First they checked fuel pressure and had fuel everywhere. Then they checked for spark. (I know you can see where this is going.) But these mentally crippled individuals left the fuel pressure tester line connected. The line was laying on the manifold, they had removed the shrader valve from it, and were testing for spark 2 inches from it with a removed wire from the coil and a sparkplug.

The flames hit the ceiling. They ran around like chickens with their heads freshly removed screaming fire fire. 5 feet from them was an extinguisher they couldnt see for anything. I put out the fire and sent them home. I wasn't even in a position to do that but they complied quickly. Moments after they left the manager works his way through the smoke and askes what happened.
We look at whats left of the car and quickly find out.

Never saw them again. wonder why?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sierraben
1970Custom, let me guess on the second one.
Yea, bottle rocket wars around flamables is a VERY BAD idea, Won't ever do that again.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:00 PM
peppermrj
Senior User
Post Dumbest thing outside a garage!

Caught on film.

Last edited by peppermrj; 01-06-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Those last two look like they hurt a little bit.

That 550 is fixable with some minor body/frame work.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1970Custom
That 550 is fixable with some minor body/frame work.
Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times at Ridgemont High): "Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

Old 01-07-2006, 01:33 AM
tude
More Turbo
i was cutting somthing under my truck and had a small fire nothing major (like some grass or corn shucks) but a buddy of mine runs over to the sink to get something to put it out gives it a splash and WOOF , i bailed out chewing him up and down , it was the parts washer sink he got the "water" i mean solvent out of , but then i realized he didnt know any better and we still laugh about it

Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peppermrj
Caught on film.

Poor truck

I wonder what the driver thought? .....what was that? a rock?

Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or whether the driver thought at all.

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...