Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) Bronco

Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) Bronco

Hello all, I am the proud owner of a 1994 Bronco with a 5.8l E4od. The transmission is on the way out and my uncle is going to help me with my project truck. It is drivable, but he doesn't trust it. He's encouraged me to join the board and get balanced knowledge from everybody here. I guess I'm diving in. The engine is flawless and has 93,000 miles. You can lay your hand on the hood and not feel it running. Previous owner has added a non factory catalytic converter, don't know the make, and a Magnaflow (?) single in/dual out muffler with both exiting from the passenger side just after the rear wheel. We tried the push button 4 wheel drive several times and it worked fine. It has a set of manual "superwinch" hubs on the front that operate freely. The tires are 33" BFG All terrain type tires which will work well as I'll be driving to work mostly in the lumber yard this summer. My uncle is going to take care of the transmission rebuild and I get to work it off during the summer. He gave me atwo page list of things I had to check before buying the Bronco, so I think it's a pretty good buy at $2,500.00. The Bronco has all the interior carpet taken out of the back and a linex coating sprayed in professionally. There is a 3/8" thick rubber mat like a truck bedmat on the floor in the rear and the window works fine in the tailgate. Anyway, as I get to use the truck, I was told to post any problems I found here first for advice and work it out by myself first. He gave me a pair of manuals for the Bronco, so I had better sign off and start reading. I will post a picture of the Bronco as soon as I can see how to do it. Any advice or ideas will be appreciated. Cool site!

Old 03-31-2005, 10:09 PM
ChargerFan
Senior User
You're gonna love it here. There is more info than even FORD has floating around these threads.
Welcome aboard.
Sounds like you got a great deal on your ride.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:23 PM
94 XLT White/ Silver 302
Elder User
Welcome to the forum, KBronco, Before you give up on your e40d, I would change the fluid and filter and change the MPLS sensor on the side of your trans. The MPLS sensor can cause all types of problems. It went bad on my e40d I was getting prices for a rebuilt trans when I heard about the MPLS sensor, installed a new one and my trans has been fine since.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
Thank you very much! Mr. Transmission inspected the transmission and the failure is due to the last owner having a cooling line to the radiator break and the fliud ran out and it over-heated, It's pretty much roached, according to them. We know the owners of the shop and they are going to rebuild to the latest revision or edition, something they said and install a shift kit in it when done. We tried to drive it home but ended up hauling it on my uncles trailer with his F250. When the thing is pretty cold it drives pretty good and had just had a flush and filter change by the last guy. I'll have to work it out in the lumber yard, but I want to make enough to do some positive things to the truck and then I'll have a good one to take to college with me.

Thanks again, Kris

Old 03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
welcome kbronco, do you think you will lift the truck? Im guessing its not lifted since you didn't say it was. The transmission might as well be rebuilt since it can be.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
I will have to look into it. I need a very reliable truck for college and work. I think I would consider a small lift. I am guessing I am going to get about 11 to 14 mpg and don't know if lifting will hurt mpg? It's only about 25 miles to UGA so 50 miles each day from where I live. The first thing I want to do is drive it and find out what it can do. When it has the transmission redone we're going to take it to some of my the company's customer jobsites that will let us and get it muddy. I guess with everyones help I figure out where to go from there. While they have it on the lift I have borrowed the F250 and brought all the tires and wheels home to really clean and scrub them. Then I was told to take them to a local tire store (uncle's friend) and have them inspected and rebalanced. It looks like they fill the wheel opening pretty much so a little lifting might be better. The arm at the bottom of the spring mount is polished in one place and I think the tire is doing it. I'll find out when I put them back on tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:40 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KBronco meet JBronco. JBronco meet KBronco.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:45 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
JBronco, are you his uncle?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:05 AM
KBronco
Freshman User
Way too much like MIB! I liked the way JBronco did his tag and my name is Kris. My uncle was laughing when he said you guys would figure out who he was in 24 hours and he gave me a list of names that gave great advice. He really helped me get this ride and I wish he had more time, he goes in @ 5:30 and works way late. Sells a lot of lumber though, my friend who works in the yard says he keeps them at it. He wants me to be able to do anything to fix it and told me it will break down sooner or later. I was looking at some newer cars, but once I got in that Bronco, I'm never going to sell it! I was told it has a 2" lift kit on it from a block at hte back and the front springs were replaced with red ones that raise it 2". I don't know if I will lift it more. I told the guy earlier that I didn't have one. It doesn't sit too high. Just wish I could drive it though. It should be ready Tuesday morning. As much rain as we got, this weekend would really be a blast in the mud. When I get paid, I gotta become a member though. Everyone really get into this. I was reading the other posts and this board is sweet. I hope it makes it through spring break. First big test.

Last edited by KBronco; 04-01-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to have you aboard. Good luck with the truck. Figures, you'd end up with the 5.8. Read up a bit on this forum and you will undrstand what I mean.

By the way, while you are reading stuff I'll recommend the red link in my signature...even though the author can be somewhat biased in his opinions.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:39 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
Greystreaks FAQ's

Just totally informative, awesome. I printed the entire section out and am going to put it in a binder and keep it in my glove box. My uncle was absolutely right when he said that you guys had an amazing amount of information about the Bronco. I stopped by the shop and since its going better than thery thought time wise, I might have it Saturday night. I am really ready to see what she can do. When the tires rub on the radius arms, are they hurting anything or am I loosing any turning radius? I won't be able to really look into it until I get it back, I was just looking at the underside really well in the lighted shop. They showed me a little slop in the rear u-joint at the pinion shaft. They will replace it since everything is out in the open and will only charge me $20.00 more. With all they're doing, I told them to do it so I won't worry about it later. I'm not supposed to know, but my uncle dropped a B&M shift kit by the shop today to be installed with the rebuild. Thanks to all here, I am very lucky to have been directed to this board, I really appreciate it. If it does get ready tomorrow night, I'm going to do the Brad Paisley thing and get a little mud on the tires!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:51 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
you could get rid of the rub by getting a wheel with backspacing that puts your tire farther out where it won't rub

Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
Backspacing?

Do you mean how the tire centers up in relation to the rim? Does that work and not put stress on the bearings? Is there a certain amount of change to make? I sure don't want it to look like the little ricers that have been lowered and the wheels stick out of the openings. Call me a redneck, but that looks really stupid. I can't do the wheel thing just yet, am I hurting the truck in any way by driving it like it is. I haven't driven it but about 5 miles so far so I'm really not that in sync with the Bronco. I just don't want to do anything that would cause it to have problems. Please advise.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The stock (OEM) rims have a backspacing of 4.5". Most after market wheels will have a backspacing of about 3.5". This is usually enough to eliminate most tire rub with the tires you have. You can get this info from the wheel supplier or manufacturer before you buy. You can also measure the wheel yourself from the back surface that touches the hub to the inner edge of the wheel rim itself. Measure straight out from the center and use a straightedge across the back of the rime to get a accurate measurement. The change will not have an adverse effect on the bearings, axles etc.

Last edited by greystreak92; 04-01-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
you know when you lift a truck you want that wide stance for looks and also to get your center of gravity corrected. We are talking just a little bit of offset, not that ugly stuff the ricers do. Putting your tires out a bit will look good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (to me) Bronco