Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Synthetic ATF in the Aerostar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 PM
focusyn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic ATF in the Aerostar?

Since I just bought my van and I am not sure the last time fluids were changed, I am changing them all. Is it a good idea to use synthetic ATF in the Aerostar (93, 3.0, 2wd)? I have used synthetic oil ( Mobil 1) in my Focus since 5k miles, have changed it every 5-7500 miles and the car runs fine and uses no oil between changes. It now has 40k on it.

So, besides the extra cost, is it worth putting synthetic ATF in the Aerostar? Anyone else using synthetic ATF? I like synthetics, I believe they are worth the extra cost. But before I do, I would like to know some other opinions.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Mobil-1 ATF in mine, No problems from ever using it. I use Mobil-1 for oil, ATF, Axle, Transferr case, You name it. If it's good enough for a M1 Abrams and a Real Hummer, It's good enough for me.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
I agree. The cost of oil changes is minimal compared with the gasoline cost and engine/tranny rebuild cost. It might also help if you put in the biggest tranny cooler you can find. I used the Hayden 1405 from bulkpart.com and it worked great.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you get a new filter and a good tranny flush when you change it out. This is true whether you are gona do synthetic or not. These tranny's are pretty tought, but they do need to be properly serviced one in a while. I do recommend the synthetic.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 AM
focusyn
Junior User
Thanks everyone. Mobil 1 ATF it is!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 PM
debeer
Junior User
Mobil 1 ATF is not Mercon V rated. If your transmission calls for Mercon V, then look elsewhere. Mobil 1 is great fluid, but their Mercon V rating product is still in the works.

From Mobil 1 email

A reformulation of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is in the works. It will meet Mercon V, Dexron IIIH, and Chrysler requirements. Timing? Later this year. The Multi-Vehicle ATF (synthetic blend) will satisfy Mercon V needs until then.

Bruce (Mobil employee)

From Mobil 1 site

Applications

For many GM, Ford and import vehicles. Approved for use in vehicles specifying:
Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron
Now approved for H specification, the latest GM Dexron III performance level
Mercon
Recommended for Allison C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2 applications

From Mobil site

Applications

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF satisfies Ford's new Mercon, V specification, Ford Mercon and General Motors’ Dexron-III or Dexron II specifications. Now approved for H specification, the latest GM Dexron III performance level.

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is also acceptable in any Audi, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Opel, Renault, Toyota, and Volkswagen transmissions that require a Dexron-III or Dexron-II type fluid.

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is also suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications where ATF+3 or ATF+4 is recommended.

NOTE: For automatic transmissions in Ford Motor company vehicles where Ford specification ESP-M2C166H or ESP-M2C138CJ fluids are specified, Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF or Mobil ATF D/M is recommended. For Ford automatic transmissions that require Type F fluid (M2C33-F), Mobil ATF Type F is recommended.

Last edited by debeer; 03-31-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Fordboy49
Senior User
What're other brands can we use safely?
TIA
Fordboy49

Old 03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
debeer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fordboy49
What're other brands can we use safely?
TIA
Fordboy49
I have used Aamco semi synthetic Mercon V (made by ExxonMobil) in my '97 AWD 4.0L Aerostar. The tranny has over 230,000 miles and is still is in great shape. The tranny has not been touched. It is available at most outlets at a very fair price.

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lub...O_Mercon_V.asp

Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
FOMOCOMAN
New User
I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF in all my 5-Ford, 1-Dodge, 3-GM vehicles for several years with great results. See http://www.amsoil.com

Old 03-31-2005, 10:02 PM
focusyn
Junior User
I picked up some Royal Purple ATF today. The owners manual for the Aerostar just says Mercon, no number after it.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:16 PM
focusyn
Junior User
The Royal Purple seems to have made a slight difference. Of course, it could just be due to the fact the tranny is happy to have a new filter and fluid in it, since what I pulled out was the original stuff!

What a messy job! The last vehicle I changed ATF in was my 95 Cougar and I forgot how messy it can be. At least the van has more ground clearance.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really is easier to put it on jackstands, but yes, the Aerostar has plenty of ground clearance. That one thing I like about it. We used to use my grandparents yuppie Voyager, and if you don't pull out of their driveway right, it will hit the sidewalk, and scrape the bumper. The Aerostar clears it with ease.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khantyranitar
It really is easier to put it on jackstands, but yes, the Aerostar has plenty of ground clearance. That one thing I like about it. We used to use my grandparents yuppie Voyager, and if you don't pull out of their driveway right, it will hit the sidewalk, and scrape the bumper. The Aerostar clears it with ease.
Yes, the Aerostar has great ground clearence for a mini van. That to, is why I laugh hard here in NoCal. People take a brand new Silverado 1/2 ton, S-10 or Colorado truck. Lower it until it sits an inch and a half off the ground. Add 22" wheels, with tire sidewalls as thin as a CD case. Give the big check to the tire shop, get on the freeway at 65-70 mph, hit a dip in the asphalt, and the new Chevy splashes a shower of sparks from something metal on the undercarriage is now bottoming out. The normal truck carrying capacity, is now reduced to carrying nothing bigger (or heavier) than a phone book's yellow pages directory. The driver, as I go around him on the freeway in my "old" '87 Aerostar, usually has a frown on his face. He just realized those 22" wheels, look as shiny as the Hope Diamond. But now his brand new Silverado pickup rides like a brick, hard, those 1 1/2" sidewalls absorb no road bumps, you feel and hear every bump, dip, and crack in the road now...

Old 04-02-2005, 08:47 AM
focusyn
Junior User
And that's in California, where the roads are infinitely better then they are here in the Rust Belt ( PA) I laugh watching these people in ANYTHING that's been lowered try to negotiate our potholed roads, steep driveways and railroad crossings. I was behind a extremely low Ranger once at a rail crossing, he had to creep across it. Compared to some of these lowered trucks, my Focus looks like a minivan!

Lowering a 1"-2" truck is fine, if you don't plan on using it for really heavy loads. Anything more then that is just stupid, UNLESS you will only be using the vehicle for show. As a daily driver, I don't get it.

Lowering a car that much, when it's not done right ( which it usually isn't by many of these "Fast n Furious" wannabes) is stupid, dangerous and wreaks all kinds of havoc on the suspension and other components. Especially around here.

I have a VERY steep driveway and the short overhangs and extra ground clearance on the Aerostar are very nice. The Traction-Lok axle will be nice in the snow. The 'Star is the only vehicle we own that doesn't drag any pieces on the driveway if you don't take it at the right angle or a little too fast.

Last edited by focusyn; 04-02-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by debeer
Mobil 1 ATF is not Mercon V rated. If your transmission calls for Mercon V, then look elsewhere. Mobil 1 is great fluid, but their Mercon V rating product is still in the works.

Correct. But in this case (93 Aerostar) the book calls for Mercon. If your Ford product calls for Mercon V, it will be specified on the dipstick handle.

Quick Reply: Synthetic ATF in the Aerostar?