British Columbia British Columbia
Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

For BCers - Is STV system a good idea? (Single Transferrable Vote)

Old 05-08-2005, 03:38 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question For BCers - Is STV system a good idea? (Single Transferrable Vote)

With the election, and with the option of STV out there if enough people vote for it, how would this affect fair representation for us in Victoria?

I don't want to see the Liberals(or any government) win 77 of 79 seats again, but from what I've heard of STV system, it will make represention worse, not better. I've heard STV has been used in other countries around the world in the past and that now, only 2-3 countries still use it, but the ones that had STV before, voted to get rid of it as soon as they could.

I want to get good info and look at reliable numbers/statistics, not just go by what other people say. I want to discuss it with you, and with people I know locally.

If anyone knows of any good links, please post them for the rest of us.

What are your thoughts on STV?

If politics arent allowed here(BC-Alberta Chapter) then delete this post.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:25 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with this thread at all, in fact this should be a very interesting topic as long as it don't get out of control (as the old pig pen forum did a while back).

But back to the topic, i do't have the slightest clue of this whole subject but hopefully we get some of the chapter people to chime in here.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Minimal political talk for the region involved is allowed but once it gets too heavy or flaming ,the thread is toast.

We are all affected by Energy taxes.

Remember one thing about this topic though.

Most people who are allowed to vote are ...fickle.

As long as BC is a union run province & Alberta is inhabited by Capitalist's ,we will always have the respective govt's.

There are too Many people in this country that want the rich provinces to pay for things for all Canadians.

ie: Take the many seats available in the TO area.

These are the people that make the difference federally.

So my questions are :

What can the Western Provincial govt's do to become & stay viable... that isn't affected by the Feds?

Will voting online as you mention, bring more people to plate and cost us less in taxes?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems that most people I talk to think that STV is a good idea but no one really knows how it works.
I do believe that BC needs better representation outside the lower mainland. For most people and politicians the province stops at Hope. The rest of us are left out....except for the couple months before an election.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I know, it will reduce representation by combining electoral areas, say you'll have more candidates for per city, but all those citys will be one region and that area will be huge, they could combine Abbotsford(130,000) Mission(28000) Chilliwack(68,000) Hope(?) Langley(?) and Maple Ridge(50,000?). Where do you think the candidates will move to - Mission or Hope with limited # of people to raise campaign funds from, or Abbotsford, where there is 4times the population to raise funds from?

Old 05-15-2005, 11:35 AM
asigalet
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like there are more hedaches involved with STV, like combining the ridings. I'm still not sure about it though.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
jenral
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know we vote on it on tuesday...but I am still on the fence. All I know is there is no way in hell I want the liberals back.