2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acetone in your Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 PM
anollmann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acetone in your Gas

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Take a look... who is going to be the first to try it in their new baby? Maybe afterward you can recommend a good repair shop!

Sure would be nice if it was so easy...

Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by anollmann
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Take a look... who is going to be the first to try it in their new baby? Maybe afterward you can recommend a good repair shop!

Sure would be nice if it was so easy...
Actually looks pretty interesting. I might give it a shot. Can't hurt in the short term to give it a try. 15 to 35% MPG increase would be worth it.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:51 PM
anollmann
Senior User
Please share your results!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Sounds interesting but I'm skeptical. Towards the end of the article the author states, "There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage." I'd have to disagree with that which makes me doubtful of his self-titled expertise. If what he is saying is true then I'll try it (after someone else does ). Unti then I'll stick with plan old $2.29/gal gas. Gulp.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 PM
BigMikeF150
New User
Sounds almost too good to be true, but if it works that would help MPG alot

Old 03-30-2005, 06:12 PM
JBS
New User
I think its something to keep an eye on. Not sure if I am ready to try it being that my truck doesn't even have 500 mile on it yet, but I saved the website and will look for further results. As for the cold air verses warm air I am not sure which is better for milage, I know cold air is better for performance along with cold fuel.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
04FX4150
Junior User
Reminds Me of a buddy Who bought the plans for a 200 MPG carberator, something to do with water injection or something like that.

I think the guy he bought them off had subscribed to one of those, make a million by mail order scams and that's what they told him to do..

Old 03-30-2005, 06:20 PM
anollmann
Senior User
Warm air is better for gas mileage, cold air is better for HP. Just like anything else, HP cost $$$.

Do a google on Acetone in gas, there are a TON of discussions going on right now.

Seems to be about 50/50 split on if its any good or not. Some people say they've been doing it for years, some say its crazy and would ruin your car.

I think I may pick up a rubber hose at autozone tomorrow and soak it for a month in gas/acetone to see what it looks like.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a warrantee'd vehicle..I wouldn't go experimenting. Though it does help (not 15-30% - that's crazy).

Old 03-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Acetone is of the ketone family. It has an approximate octane rating of 150. Don't expect major performance differences with it as you should only add a maximum 6 oz per ten gallons. It will do several things in your fuel injection system:

1 It works to keep the injection system clean. There are a number of injector cleaners on the market that use it the basis of their formulation. There are diffferences though, between using raw acetone and the cleaners that use it for basestock.

2 It does have a slight effect on the surface tension of the spray of gas from the injector. It will atomize the gas better as it is a very hot (evaporates quickly-faster than alcohol). Helps slightly with pinging in an engine.

3 It is a plasticizer meaning that it also will disslove any plastic it comes in contact with. It will erode any of your plastic fuel lines and will eventually eat thru your plastic fuel tank with constant use.

4 It is a great paint remover. It will soften the paint on your truck should you spill any on it.

If you want to use it, use it as a cleaner only before an oil change. Do not use it at every tank of gas. Do not get it on the painted surface of the truck. Do not expect any mileage increases, especially those reported in this link unless your injection system is in bad need of cleaning. You can use acetone found at any home center as it is pure enough for the purpose.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:42 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Flash, excellent post, and I believe 100% correct.

The improvements of 15% would be possible, in a engine that had, as you say, dirty injectors. The improvement would be in recovering the 15% that the dirty injectors were causing you....

In a new, well maintained vehicle any improvement would be too slight to measure. Temperature expansion after you pump gas into the tank would cause more difference.

Another factor is that the stuff is so volatile, that it's ability to remain in the tank, in liquid for is very questionable. The fast cleaners, octane boosters etc. suggest you keep them in sealed containers, and add them just before you drive, thus minimizing the time in the tank, where they can either hurt the plastic components, or separate from the fuel.

Best to use an occasional cleaner, with product liability insurance, if you do anything at all.

Use known good quality gas, and keep your filters changed and you probably won't need cleaners for at least 50k miles.
Chris

Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Uh, maybe I should delay my acetone experiments until more data is available Probably the best idea is when your truck gets older use it as Flash suggests right before changing oil to help clean out a little.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Don't forget that your engine runs rich at times to allow the unburned fuel to cool the exaust valve - in the caddy northstar system they found that going to a 9 to 1 mix at full throttle controled head temp - and then they bump it up a bit (9.8 or so) after 30 seconds.

If there were any magic solutions someone would have found them during the last gas crunch.