1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rad Support mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Rad Support mount

My 50 F1 came without rad support and rad, finallay got stock support and am in the process of finding rad to fit, not stock rad as I am running 5.0 from Crown Vic.

Question: does the rad suppport mount on front cross member in holes closest to front of truck or holes nearest engine ?

Tom

Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Front holes were for a 6 cylinder engine. Rear holes if you had the flathead V8.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Rad support

Thanks Mtflat !

Tom

Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
Front holes were for a 6 cylinder engine. Rear holes if you had the flathead V8.
I noticed there were two sets of holes when I disassembled my 48. If you are not using the original engine can I assume that either set can be used? Does moving from one set of holes to another change where or how the fenders and inner fenders mount or will they bolt back on in the same holes?

Vern

Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

It doesn't change anything on the fenders. The inner fenders should also have a second set of holes. Only thing that would be off is the air deflector that bolts to the hood - you'll want to move it so all the air goes thru the radiator rather than over the top. It's been a few years since I put mine back together, but I think there are slotted holes that should allow the air dam to move to either position.......... Barry can give you the numbers if I'm wrong.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The inner fenders have matching holes drilled in them to align with the other set in the crossmember. It looks like the only thing that moves is the radiator support yoke and radiator. And I guess the fender supports between the inner fender and fender would move too, but I don't remember seeing if there are additional holes in the outside fender bracket. My guess is you can use either set, you'd just need longer hoses if your engine doesn't protrude forward as much. May have fan cooling issues unless using a radiator mounted electric fan.

Scott

Old 03-30-2005, 11:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Thanks. Mine was originally a V8 so the radiator support was bolted in the set of holes nearest the firewall. I want to use the set that puts the radiator as far forward as possible to make room for a mechanical fan on my non-stock engine but I was unsure as to whether moving it forward would change anything else. I don't recall seeing two sets of holes in the inner fenders, but it's been awhile since I looked at them.

Vern

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 03-30-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:58 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Tom
I tried to pm you but your mailbox is full.

You should be able to move it forward to the '6 cyl' holes without any adjustments to inner fender. In fact the inner fender is flat all the way to the grill, but you'll run off the cross-member that the rad support sits on if you go past the 6 cyl holes.
Tim

Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I thought the 6-cyl holes ran front-to-rear, while the V8 ran side-to-side? There was a thread on this last week.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

I'll confess I've never seen a 6 cylinder in one of these pickups, but doesn't it make sense that the radiator and mount would simply have to be moved forward 3-4" to the corresponding holes. A transverse radiator position wouldn't cool and a normal rad position with a transverse mount would be very impractical and unlike Henry.

If I'm wrong, I'm certainly open to teaching.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've bolted my radiator in the 6 cylinder holes no problem. I moved it for more room for my 302. The airdam is a different story. The hood tapers to the front to so the V-8 one will not fit without some trimming but the hood has the holes though. I've removed it for now. Also the front fender braces (ones inside the fender) need to bolted to the inner fenders since it cannot bolt to the radiator support. I don't know if the 6 cylinder had different ones that were mounted forward too. To think about it why do my trucks have the 6 cylinder mounting holes when we (Canada) didn't get a 6 cylinder till '57. Also not getting any F-2's and having the frame with the mounts for right hand drive.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had forgot about the air dam, that's a good point. I got one with another purchase that I've sense sold, but now that you remind me of it, it is different. You would definitely want to put the right one in or you'd have a lot of air bypassing the radiator,taking the path of least resistance and not cooling the antifreeze.

Scott

Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,822 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Tom,
My truck was a 6 cyl truck, and I believe the rad was mounted in the front set of holes. I didn't reuse my rad when I installed the 500ci Caddy engine. I fabricated my own radiator support that would tie into the original mounting holes and after searching and measuring countless radiators I opted for a 4 core rad from a mid 70's Dodge truck. Places like www.radiatorexpress.com have searchable databases that show the dimensions of the radiators as well as the orientation and size of the inlets and outlets. It was a big help in determining what radiator I wanted.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Tom,
My truck was a 6 cyl truck, and I believe the rad was mounted in the front set of holes. I didn't reuse my rad when I installed the 500ci Caddy engine. I fabricated my own radiator support that would tie into the original mounting holes and after searching and measuring countless radiators I opted for a 4 core rad from a mid 70's Dodge truck. Places like www.radiatorexpress.com have searchable databases that show the dimensions of the radiators as well as the orientation and size of the inlets and outlets. It was a big help in determining what radiator I wanted.
Bobby,

What year is your truck and where does the Cad engine require the radiator outlets? I will be needing one that requires the outlets on the center or left side on the top and on the right side on the bottom. If that is what yours has can you give me a part number or exact application?

Vern

Old 04-01-2005, 02:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,822 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Radiator

GreatNorthWoods,

My truck is a 49 F1 that was originally a 6cyl. My radiator does have the upper outlet towards the left side and the lower outlet on the right. I can't give you a part # but I can give you an application. I bought the radiator from the local Checker Auto parts to fit a 1975 Dodge 3/4 ton 2wd truck with a 440ci automatic. I think I paid $125.00 for it.
It looks like www.radiatorexpress.com has changed and they no longer give you a picture. Try www.usradiator.com, I just checked their site and they still have a searchable database with pictures and deminsions. Although they show the big block dodge radiator has having the upper outlet on the right hand side. Mine is on the left.
The other day I deleted all of the radiator links from my favorites list(I bought my radiator about a year ago) I just recovered this link from my recycle bin http://webbase.transpro.com/radcat/ another searchable database.
I don't know how to attach a pic to this forum or I would show you. You can email me directly if you like
bthompson@msig-nm.com (work) or bobbyt@zianet.com (home)
I know I still have the box the radiator came in at home(I'm at work now) I can get the part number this evening if you like

I hope this helps

Bobbyt

Quick Reply: Rad Support mount