1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new windshield rubber (doesn't look like old)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:16 PM
59'er F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new windshield rubber (doesn't look like old)

Just recieved my order from LMC for my 60...weather strip package (doors.. f & r windshields..cowl) and a buy one get one free side view mirror (big mistake on their part...major goodie on mine!!! ) Anyway..The winshield rubber has a different appearance than the original. I will try to explain as follows:
The original has a groove for the cab, a groove for the glass, and then a larger flap inside to cover the headliner(rear glass).
The new one has a groove for the cab, and then a few "notches", then the inner flap for the headliner. I am confused???
I thought there should be a groove for the glass to use the old rope & soap trick to install it. I have double checked With LMC and they have sent the correct rubber. Has any one experienced this??? I am not sure what to do??

On a lighter note: I spent all this week (Spring Break) sanding down my Bondo bucket only to find that it was used to hide dents, not rust!!!!! I am completely amazed..only rust is pass side rear cab corner!!!!

Thanks
Ryan

Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The one I got form LMC was a right one for my 60.. Flap for headliner? Mine has never reached that far up the inside? maybe the one U have install is a mistake in the first place?

I did use the rope to install mine...

Old 04-02-2005, 05:22 AM
Roy in TX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Windsheild rubber

Does your truck have the chrome trim?? The seal with the trim slot is quite different( i,m sure you know that) . You guys are a lot braver than I. I got glass people to install mine, and even they had a difficult time with the trim. Sure looks nice when installed though. While restoring my 57 , I have taken pride in doing everything myself (including paint) but these gaskets ate my lunch. Roy

Old 04-02-2005, 10:28 AM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I changed my winsheld I used the rope in the grove for the cab. You must of gotten the rubber for the custom cab that has a extra grove for the chrome molding. The trick to the chrome is to have the rubber on the winsheld then put the chrome in then install the winsheld as a unit.