Sponsored by: Moser

80'-86' power windows into 78' - Hawkrod

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 06:40 AM
skips69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80'-86' power windows into 78' - Hawkrod

I found hawkrod's tech article on this, and was wondering if he or anyone else that has performed this swap could answer some questions. Do the 80-86' regulators match up to any of the door bolt holes for the 73-79's? I saw where some new holes were drilled, but was wondering if any were a match as reference to get started? Was also wondering how much of the wiring to get? From each door switch, to where? Do you unplug the individiual door wiring switches from the main harness (then connect them to each other and power with new wiring), or do both door switches connect somewhere to a main harness themselves, then plug into the main harness behind the dash? Was curious as to how to complete the circuit between both doors to power, bascially. Overall, just trying to get some more information before I hit the yards and start pulling parts.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:05 AM
hawkrod
Elder User
Hey, no, nothing lines up for starters. What you have to do is calculate the lowest and highest points and go from there. I will see if I can make a template with dimensions and post it. I will be working on trucks next Monday and Tuesday (taking some time off work to get some projects rolling) and I will see if I can pull a door panel for you then. You need all of the wiring. When you pull it you will see that the power window harness is seperate from the rest of the dash wiring and I think it only had two wires to hook up (one for the power windows and one for the power door locks) plus maybe some grounds. After you transfer the harness over to your truck all you need to do is supply power to the main wire for the windows (I have never installed the power locks but I have had them waiting for 3 years!). The windows work great and I have another set I am going to try in my new Crew Cab. For the Crew Cab I got 4 truck regulators but got wiring and switches from a 70's car. Since teh motors are the same on most Fords from 1965-1990+ this should work but I am worried about the regulators fitting in the back doors. Hawkrod

Old 03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
skips69
Senior User
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Good to hear that the wiring is pretty simple and straight forward. Personally, I'm not interested in the locks, so that should be a little less to worrt about. Yeah, I'll pull the parts as soon as I can find a good donor and go from there. If you get a template, please let me know. It'll be at least 2 weeks before I can get anything done on it.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 AM
whd507
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you get teh rears figured out please post it asap.

I'm thinking how to do it myself.

I was thinking of making a custom door panel, shaped like a 70's car, and using an aftermarket power window thing that attaches to the crank. then place all that inside the arm rest.

A regulator that works would be great.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 AM
RTM
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am also looking forward to the info.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did this to my '73 too, with Hawkrod's help. I ended up using the '73 regulator and welding a motor mound where the crank should be. So the regulator bolts in, but is powered by the motor, quite simple. The wiring is the easy part. Like Hawkrod said, it's a complete harness from door to door - you only need to run one power wire to the harness. I chose parts from a '86 F150 because the switches mount to the flat door panel, so I was able to attach them right where the crank was, no need to mould a custom panel.

Marty

Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 PM
bushman
Senior User
I have electric on all 5 of my windows in my 79 crew. The rear door regulators are a beast of their own. I even sent one in to electralife to see if they could fit it with a mtr. I ended up using the colibri kit from electric life for the rear doors. Seems to work real well and your not forced to use a 20 year old regulator that is getting extremely hard to find

Bushman

Old 03-29-2005, 09:07 PM
hawkrod
Elder User
I am not sure where you are but here we can buy the regulators new if we need to although they are just above dirt in the common department at the local wreckers. I believe the regulators fit 80-96 and they are not even too bad to buy new at Ford. I guess some remote areas may not have access to these and they would be considered rare but to be truthfull there are hundreds of thousands of these hitting the wreckers anually as they are getting to be 10 to 25 years old now. Fortunately Ford used the same ones for so long that they are definitely not something that can honestly be described as "extremely hard to find" in fact the reason I used them is they are so inexpensive because they are so common. My swap cost me $40.00 at the local self service wrecker (they charged me 12.00 each for the regulators with motors and 5.00 each for the switches and the rest was wiring and sales tax). Hawkrod

Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
I think he was referring to the 73-79 rear regulators.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
AerostarDad
Senior User
Skip or Hawkrod...can you give me the link to this article. I tried searching for it,but came up empty.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2005, 06:14 AM
skips69
Senior User
Old 05-21-2005, 09:58 AM
AerostarDad
Senior User
Thanks Skips. Did you do this swap? If so,how'd it turn out? I'm cab-bing and redoor-ing (?) my truck right now and figured this would be a good time to do this swap. I have always wanted power windows in my '78. I'm thinkling about an electric rear slider as well.

Has anyone tried retro-fitting later power door locks into a '73-79?

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 AM
skips69
Senior User
No not yet. There are plenty of 80-86' trucks and Broncos in the yards here, but I can't find anything with power windows. They are all either manual cranks, or the power stuff is already missing. It's just a matter of time, I'll run across some this summer.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:57 PM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
So....

ALL you need to convert to Power windows is:

* The wiring harness, from door to door, out of an '80's truck,
* The switches to each door,
* The two window regulators, and some spacers, ???

That's it? Everything fits up OK (except the regulators) and works flawlessly?

Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
??????????

Quick Reply: 80'-86' power windows into 78' - Hawkrod