Sponsored by: Moser

ARGH! Smog H*LL! Go Diesel?????

Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
saros7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ARGH! Smog H*LL! Go Diesel?????

Hi all,

Dealing with Ca smog agaaaaaaaaaaaaaain. JUST FOUND OUT THE ROLLING 30 year Smog Block Exemption is KAPUT, its done, its over! Only and forever will 1976 and older rigs be smog exempt..........

Ok, So now what? I'm TIIIIIIIIRED of dealing with smog. Smog guy just tells me I'd still need a sniff test if I convert to PROPANE? (Anyone know if he's full of it or not?

So what's my other options? Diesel? Do tell-----!!!!!!!!

Ok, here's what I got.
1979 Ford F-150 4x4 (ok, ok 2x4 selectable)
351 M
2bbl motorcraft
Edelbrock Performer manifold (with ca approved egr plate........)
C-6
33x10.50's on steel rims
Borla exhaust (with CAT......)
Ford rear, Dana(?) in front
3 inch Body lift
<stock?> factory blocks in rear leafs
Quad shock set-up in front

SOOOOOOOOOOOO my Ford Friends, WHAT can I do diesel wise?
I don't know JACK on Diesels but even the turd at the Smog station said they don't get sniffed and I could certainly pick up some torque.....

So what's what on a '79 4x4 diesel? I assume I'm going to need a new transmission? Or am I wrong in this? If so, WHAT transmission? What transfer case? Can I bolt directly with current drive shaft or am I need of a new one (ok, two...) of these? Will a GAS tank work for a Diesel Tank???????

ANYONE know a reputable gas engine to diesel engine converter place/mechanic in the Northern Calif. Bay Area?

As always, Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Saros7

Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
hillbillyk
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
www.fordcummins.com, they are in montana, but do real nice conversions.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
it should not be to hard to pass even my 428 in my 75 passes with flying colors just do a tune up and keep everything in working order and if the carb is original i would start there i would replace it with a reman from kragen you will pick up some mileage and power and the engine will run way better my truck pulls between 22 and 25 in vacuum you should be able to pull 19 to 20 if you have no vacuum leaks and the engine is in decent condition the more vacuum the better the fuel economy and the less emissions

Old 03-21-2005, 10:53 PM
saros7
New User
Thanks guys-
I'm on engine #3!!!! Carburator #4. Trans #5........
I'm simply tired of dealing with gas. I'd love a 460 but then again I'd still be into gas. I'm looking for info on preferabably doing the install myself; I just need to know where to start with engine types/displacements and the list-o-things I need to make this conversion a reality.
I figure-
I need a new engine- Which type
Do I need a new transmission?
Do I need a new fuel tank?
New radiator?
New Transfer case?
Don't think I'll need new diffs, please correct me if I'm wrong

What were the diesel options from Ford in 1979?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do some research before you convert that truck to a diesel. Here in Maryland, the emissions testing is based on the model year and VIN# of the vehicle. They don't care what you do to the truck as long as it passes the emissions test for the year and VIN#. This means that if the truck came from the factory with a 300-6 engine in it, and if you switch it to another engine, the truck must still meet the emission limits for the 300-6.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:59 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

hey you could just put in a nice 300 straight six why so many engines and carbs?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by saros7
Thanks guys-
I'm on engine #3!!!! Carburator #4. Trans #5........
I'm simply tired of dealing with gas. I'd love a 460 but then again I'd still be into gas. I'm looking for info on preferabably doing the install myself; I just need to know where to start with engine types/displacements and the list-o-things I need to make this conversion a reality.
I figure-
I need a new engine- Which type
Do I need a new transmission?
Do I need a new fuel tank?
New radiator?
New Transfer case?
Don't think I'll need new diffs, please correct me if I'm wrong

What were the diesel options from Ford in 1979?
by the way there was no diesel option until 86 so it would be a total custom job someone here has done it with the cummins its not easy and diesel is more expensive than gas and your truck would be out of comission for a long time.and you would have to drop 7,000 to do it.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 PM
saros7
New User
New engines/trans.......Truck has over 470,000 miles on it.

As for the conversion emmision thing. What I'm told thus far is disels are exempt. I can smog my truck to any NEWER model year if I want to try to meet those requirements (like a new 2005 Ford crate motor........) but I can't go backwards.....

I'm into this truck for the long, long, long haul. Would love to be one to pass it along to my grandkids (I don't even have kids yet......) But dealing with Smog every stinking two years for over 16 years is getting a little old. There are virtually NO performance upgrades here in CA that I can do that will make it smog legal AND give the performance. I'm SOL on headers, tried it once with a set of hooler headers that were 50 state legal- no dice from the smog rep........manifolds only. NO dual exhaust, wasn't offered. Stuck with a 2 bbl, 4 bbl were not an option in '79--- at least no mechanic, smog guru or Ca.'s CARB says there was no option. I'm simply out of options. I barely pass each time, even last time around (2 years ago) with a new carb and new CAT........

I need an alternative to these smog tests. Propane REALLLY seemed an option until today when the butt-head tells me that Propane systems still get the wand up da' kaboose.............

EVERY STINKING TIME I take it in there's a """""PROBLEM"""" with the vaccum lines. Whether the palce that just did it two years ago (like this time, they did it 2 years ago, ow I'm back and one of thier other mechanics says the last guy did it wrong.......) I'd love to argue points with the man but it ultimately comes down to the fact I NEEEEEEEEEEED a smog cert. and you're gonna pay each and every time. Last time it cost me $400, this time the pre-quote was $350.......... all so I can then NOT BE ABLE to even drive down the street......no lie, can't/won't make it past 45mph on a straight away when she's "smogged right"................ we're not even going to talk about climbing hills or freeway passing.

Thanks ford guru.......1st price quote from anyone. And WHAT would I get for $7000???????

Saros7

Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been looking in to doing a diesel install myself. (I am looking at the Cummins) If you priced all the parts new or remanufactured (engine, transmission, transfer case, radiator and who knows what else) with no core to turn in, I bet you would be over $20,000 in your truck before you finished.. I think your best bet would be to find a wrecked Dodge truck for parts. Depending on the year and mileage, you should spend anywhere from around a thousand up. I know of several Cummins engines with over 300.000 miles with no problems. Search the galleries for guys who have done this for more advice. Look for a user named Scot. I think he has quite a bit of information and pictures in his gallery. Before sinking that kind of cash into a conversion I’d make sure you can get past any inspection. I happen to live in a state with no smog laws(yet).

Old 03-22-2005, 02:23 AM
saros7
New User
Thanks jimlj-
Good info, This is exactly what I'm wanting/needing to hear. Any reccomendation on a used motor? As in best transplant with little or no mods (ha ha, yea right, I know)?

Again, thank you.

~saros

Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

the propane is a good setup it produces very little emissions and then your truck would be considered a clean air vehicle not to mention the oil and the whole engine would stay very clean and you could go about 25 miles on a pund of propane which only cost about 1.65 so it is cheaper.And the nsetup is pretty easy to do your self or find a used fedex or ups delivery truck that used them on the v 8 engine and you have everything you need.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Atleast in the old days, propane was good for about a 10% loss in mileage and power. The benefit was that it burnrd very clean. Prices have been crazy lately but propane generally runs a little less than gasoline so it would probably be a wash. If they allow you to go multi-fuel and sniff it on propane, you should be able to pass with flying colors and then flip the switch back to gasoline as you leave the parking lot.

I have done two repowers so far. The first was a '75 highboy with a 6.9 Navistar and a T19D tranny. That was actually a fairly simple swap. The 6.9 was pretty gutless but got 15 or 16 mpg. It died of cavitation erosion.

Now I am doing a 6bta Cummins/NV4500 in a '78 F250 SC 4x4.

If you get serious, I will give you all the info I know. I have some pics in my gallery.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Amtek
Senior User
It may not be the most practical, but how bout buying a 73-76 truck similar to yours for cheap and just swap everything you love from your 79 into the other frame? Almost everything is interchangable. CA smog laws remain a mystery to me. I hear people swapping 4cyl engines to V-8s or diesels in all types of vehicles and are driven on the street everyday, yet as part of a smog check, your vehicle not only has to pass the smog test, but it has to pass a visual inspection to make sure that all the smog equipment is all in place and is functioning properly. I never get the opportunity to ask these people how they do it, though I would really love to know!

One of the big factors in buying my 73 (registered 72) was that it was smog exempt and I could do whatever I want to it.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:12 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
diesel will be smog exempt
propane mabey
CNG yes
alcohol mabey

you could drop in a 6.9/7.3 IDI, and be exempt,

but I like the frame/VIN swap idea...

Old 03-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Your in the wrong forum to get really detailed answers to this question.....

the pre-powerstroke forum will yield a ton of questions about the particularities of bellhousings and transmission compatibility questions, which will be an issue...

The engine swap forum would be a good place for motor mount questions and other related questions....

and this one is a good choice for the necessary suspension upgrades to support the added weight...Im talking out my **** here, but I doubt your axles in a stock 79 F150 can handle the power increase, nor your front end handle the weight increase

A good 6.9 and c6 combo could be done.....

your fuel system is completely different.....battery system is different, cooling system has to be upgraded...

its a lot of work, but can be done........

Last edited by Icicle; 03-31-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARGH! Smog H*LL! Go Diesel?????