Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thanks For the Help: CPS Repalcement Here's What Worked For Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:02 AM
rednekf350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks For the Help: CPS Repalcement Here's What Worked For Me

Thanks again to all, especially Timberjack with the photo link.
I completed the job in 25 minutes and spent some of that trying to collecting my tools that my teenage son has strewn around the garage.
Here is what I used: (all 3/8" drive)
10mm 6 point deep socket, total length 2 1/2"
3" extension.
Williams 3/8 drive ratchet handle.
Total length of setup: 5 3/4" back of wrench to tip of socket.
Screwdriver.
7" catspaw.
I think do to low miles, the bolt broke free pretty easily.
Prying out the sensor with the screwdriver was working but I had a short catspaw that fit up there and I popped it with that. It was really tight in the block.
I put never-seize on the bolt before replacing it.
The wrench setup was the perfect length and I was able to do everything from the bottom with the fan and fan belt on.
I think I could do this job in 15 minutes after having done it once. Doing it roadside (in a cemetery) wasn't too bad either.
Thanks again for the help.
Scott

Old 03-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
It was really great of you to report back with your experiences while they were fresh in your mind. This is an excellent explanation of what actually happens during a CPS swap, so I'll bookmark it, and use it to explain the procedure to those that haven't done it in the future.
Thanks!!

Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 PM
rednekf350
Senior User
Quadzilla,
As soon as I finished the job I brought the wrench and sockets home and laid them on the kitchen table and measured each component.
I figured that would be one of the most helpful pieces of information since the quarters are tight.
Also, the 3/8" drive is critical because a 1/2" drive extension and socket will not rest flush against the crankshaft pulley which will not allow you to wrench the bolt out straight.
This is the best site on the web for Ford Truck owners and I have learned more here than from a shop manual in the years I have been here.
Scott

Old 03-20-2005, 06:12 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
hey red my cps has been acting up did yours just die and not start again don't have 200 to buy new one from ford right now

Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 AM
rednekf350
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cruiser
hey red my cps has been acting up did yours just die and not start again don't have 200 to buy new one from ford right now
I experienxced a couple of split second shut-offs in the last month while driving.
On Saturday it shut down when I hit 4th gear at about 45 miles an hour and wouldn't restart at all.
I popped it in neutral and cruised on in to a local cemetery and left it.
No complaints from the occupants.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:41 AM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Originally Posted by rednekf350
I popped it in neutral and cruised on in to a local cemetery and left it.
No complaints from the occupants.
Now that is just wrong.
But seriously this is one thing this forum is lacking. Most of the time people will come on here with a problem, get some advice, and are never heard from again. It is good to see someone go the extra mile and report what worked for them and how they did it. Thanks.

69cruiser,
Mine did like rednek's. Intermittent for a while, then gone. $100 bucks at the international dealer. Sometimes they will throw a code sometimes not. Best to get them read just to see if there is one there. Usually P0344 (I think) if there is one.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
that's what mine started to do but it dose'nt do it that often anymore but it does act up once in awhile but it will start up right after it turns off

Old 03-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Rufus
New User
Hi all,
My truck (99 7.3) did the die trick and no response trick for several days. The weather is bad here and I am just learning about PSD trucks, so into the dealer I went.
the scanner indicated possible cam sensor or ICP (forgot what that is). They did the ICP and fixed the problem. Cost 295.67 total at the local FoMoCo.

Like I always say, experience is the most expensive thing you will ever buy.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
It was really great of you to report back with your experiences while they were fresh in your mind. This is an excellent explanation of what actually happens during a CPS swap, so I'll bookmark it, and use it to explain the procedure to those that haven't done it in the future.
Thanks!!
I haven't done it in the future!