Notices

How long after a PAINT JOB do you have to wait

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 AM
JohnAW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How long after a PAINT JOB do you have to wait

I would like to wax a polish my Ranger, but I would like to know how long do you have to wait after it has been painted before one can wax and polish the new paint job?

Also I would like to know which wax and polish gaves you a morrow like shaine? Yes I know that the paint job has allot to do with this.

Also I would like to know which brand of wheel cleaner gaves you the best job?

What do you use on your tires to make them nice and BLACK?

Old 03-18-2005, 07:16 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Depends on which wax/polish you use. If you get a good wax with no grit in it whatsoever, strictly for shine, if you wait about a 4-6 weeks you should be fine. This also varies where your truck is parked. If it is indoors, out of the sun all the time, I would wait 6-8 weeks.

There is no reason to use any wax/polish with grit or abrasives in it if you just got it painted.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
gonnasellit_temp
Senior User
Zaino Bros show car polish is by far the best I have ever used (and I have used many!). Check out their website. You won't be disappointed.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
mothers polish is good. just dont get that "wax as you dry" stuff. I never thought it worked any good. As for tire stuff I dont know because mine are always covered in dry mud.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:36 AM
kwob
Senior User
Until last year I was an estimator at a body shop...we told our customers to wait at least 2-3 months until they waxed. Another suggestion is to never use an automatic car wash. As for tire shine I'd suggest Meguiars Regular and High Gloss Gels.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I worked in the shops we always told the customers to wait a min. of 4 weeks, but usually after 2 months.
Yes avoid automated car washes. You will lose your shine and get little scratches. Those places are ok if you do not care about how shining your car is, or is already in need of a paint job.
As to waxes we used turtle waxes or maguires. Wheel polish we hardly used any for most wheels were painted. We just kept them clean.
You do want to avoid abrasive polishes and polishes with petroleum in them. Those ones will tend to remove a thin layer of paint each time. Today there are really no petroleum ones left, but old waxes use to have them, so if you have an old wax, becareful.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:44 AM
NorthPac
Senior User
On new cars you can wax the first day you get your car because its been baked and the new cars been setting for over a month.
I would clay it first. Claying removes surface contamination such as (rail dust) brake dust, metallic particles, road tar, water spots, bug residue, tree sap, claying improves the look, feel, health & longevity of your car's paint. Surface contamination (claying) removal is recommended once a year to keep your car looking its best and have your paint last longer.
There is two basic types of protection you can use a wax called Carnauba and the other is a sealer (polymers). Carnauba waxes looks the best but a sealers last longer. You can apply a wax over sealers but you can't apply a sealer over wax (Carnauba).

There is lots of how to car care over the net.

Here is some basic tips
Don't use acid to clean your rims.
Best to use a soft wash mitt to wash you car with car soap, (don't use dish soap) Best not to press to hard while washing your car.
Grit is your cars worst enemy on your cars finish.
Dry your car afterwards to void water spots.

Have fun on your new Ranger