General Automotive Discussion

Cab-over semi's - why are they gone?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
KennyluvshisFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was addressing where the "leftovers" went. The initial decline in their use was from the changing laws. But they have all disappeared. You don't even see many used up carcasses any more.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
they are very popular here in new jersey and around city centers

Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know this was a 5 year old thread, but....

Having driven both COE and conventional cab tractors I can say this, the few spots where the COE had an advantage over the CC, was nowhere near worth the disadvantages that have been mentioned many times in this thread. Putting on pants, while laying down, is just plain annoying. That reason alone was enough to make me vow to never drive one again. The lousy ride, the uncomfortable entry/exit, and even the lack of storage inside the sleeper were minor, in comparason. Of course, add them all up, I say good riddance to them, as far as long haul use goes. Yes, they still a few advantages as city trucks, but I don't care much for cities either.......

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Originally Posted by KennyluvshisFord
I was addressing where the "leftovers" went. The initial decline in their use was from the changing laws. But they have all disappeared. You don't even see many used up carcasses any more.
I see what you mean in your post. I do see a lot in the LA area, trash trucks, the previously mention roll-offs mostly. Anyone in tight quarters. I think I saw one on the freeway a short time back--thought it unusual as you just don't see them doing OTR work.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Growl60
Senior User
Im not a guy with big rig experience at all but my buddy and I occasionally visit a semi tractor salvage yard. Atleast 60% is Cabover semis.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 AM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump for fun

Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to be pretty quiet - might be beating a dead horse by now.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, tried though... seen DieselBrad's rig on another forum, nice looking Ford

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM
stuart9534
Senior User
I might have to go watch White Line Fever now...

Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 PM
dirtmister16
Junior User
Originally Posted by KennyluvshisFord
Don't take this as gospel but I have heard most of these old trucks went to Mexico. I spoke to a outside of Olathe Kansas that has an impressive collection of old trucks. They sell some parts and trucks but the prices are high. He told me several years ago that his business could cut the frames in half on a truck. They send it to Mexico as scrap and it brings top dollar. After it crosses the border they just weld the frames back together and keep on trucking. But I don't know the validity of this claim. I once took a cruise to Mexico and spotted a super sexy W900 conventional. The cheating wh*re of a wife I had at the time was upset because I had traveled that far and was mostly interested in the trucks.

this is actually true, idk about all of the trucks but a good number of them have. that and pick ups too. my dad has been hauling frieght for 30 years and has told me the stories of just that going on down in mexico.

he says they load the cabs up with anything and everything and send em south.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,097 Posts
I'm in the big truck windshield biz---has been a lot of changes since 1988 for sure. When first starting out I did sooooooooo many IH 9670's, 9700's, GMC Astro's, Pete 372's KW K100C & E, Freightliner FLC---they were everywhere!

Later 80's brought back conventional cabs from White/GMC/Volvo, Freightliner FLD's, both of which pretty much dominated my local area. Newer ride comfort features, nicer interior appointments etc seemed to make the high-turnover rate of drivers lessen up a bit. (At one time I was buying 40 FLD windshields, would take no more than 2 months to go through that many.) Pete 372's seemed to almost make a foothold here but never really caught on for whatever reason.

Had one shady customer with the most ragged fleet of IH 9670's, a few wrecked and repaired so poorly stock windshields just wouldn't properly fit. Before going bankrupt I was called to replace several, arrived on-site to find these junkers loaded on a flat bed---was told they were heading to South America. WTH? Even though mechanically able to pass DOT inspections they were better suited to the scrap yard---here in the USA anyway.

Seems so much of what we discard here is still quite usable and valuable elsewhere. I'm sure the cutting apart and reassembling some of this stuff goes on---makes me sad for the drivers though. If there's an upside its when a Mexican truck crosses the border its subject to DOT road side inspections----glad I live further north of all that!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 PM
knibbeone
Cross-Country

time to bring em back

Canada is finally starting to test Cab overs and longer lengths. I want the Volvo cabover. Electronic engine Cabovers get better fuel mileage that most "classic" designs like Fliner and 379s. I know, we use em for crude hauling. Nothing gets on an olde lease pad made for a Transporter like a Cabover. I sure hope they come back soon. Mines at 3m miles and 4th drivetrain. I swear it rides better and I KNOW it looks better than any conventional. I get tone of attention and thumbs up all day long . LONG LIVE CAB OVERS!!!!!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
In Aus, we still have length restrictions on trucks, so about 50% of all Semi's are Cabovers. Almost all rigid trucks are Cab Overs.

Some of them are impressive, like the 730hp Scania:

Even the US brands make Cab Overs specifically for the Aus market:

Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i always liked your road trains.
them are some really impressive rigs!!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

I used to run an old 700 cab over Mack. I named it Teddy. After Teddy Roosevelt, cause it was a rough ridin sumbitch. CB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cab-over semi's - why are they gone?