2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 ford xlt truck sterio swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:09 PM
b8blcrazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 ford xlt truck sterio swap

I was wondering how hard is it to change the radio myself. I have done other cars but its been a while. Would it be better to goto a store and have it done?
If not is there any certain tools i will need to remove the original ford radio? Is there any other parts that have to come out to take out the radio? Can the new radio still work with the key out and the door closed?
thanks

Old 03-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best advice is to do search of this forum "Stereo"
No special tools needed. Mostly you pry up the center piece with your fingers, from the bottom, with the ashtray partway open. It's secured by eight strong clips, that need to be reatached to the black plastic suround before you put it back. Shield the dash, towels or something. The clips scratch the dash if you arn't careful, and they scratch the faceplate of the radio if you get clumsy. Don't bother to remove the hanging harnesses, let the center hang to the passenger side.
Four 7 mm head screws. Unclip the harness, unplug the antenna.
The stereo is a 'double din' or twice normal size. I have used three different types of adaptor. Single with large pocket, single with small pocket, double din, wich uses either two regular radios or a single doubles size.
The small pocket looks the best.

The wiring harness is 7-15 bucks. Easy to install.
Be sure your aftermarket radio has the 'dimming' function. The radio sits so high that if you use a bright screen radio with no dimming connection, it's glare will annoy you at night.
Most good radios have dimming.
The speakers in the door are 25 watt, something to consider if you put in a 200 watt stereo...
Chris

Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
b8blcrazy
New User
thanks...do u know if the stereo will still work with the keys out after the truck is turned off?

Old 03-13-2005, 08:57 PM
DVLSH1
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a stereo system put in mine and it still plays after the key is out of the ignition

Old 03-13-2005, 09:07 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
If you are asking if the truck has acc delay power, I believe that starts at the XLT on up model. Most cars/trucks I've had that on had a ten min 'window' before the stereo, etc. shut off.

If you mean can you hook it up to play anytime? Sure, if your new stereo has an 'All off' command. Otherwise your LCD panel, etc. will be on all the time.

My Kenwood has the 'all off' function, but I hooked it up stock to shut off when the key is off. I could have hooked the power to the constant on wire, yellow, where the memory keep alive connection goes, rather than the key on wire, red.
Didn't see a need. You might though.
But be sure your new one does shut off completely, or get used to having a dead battery.

Chris

Old 03-13-2005, 09:15 PM
b8blcrazy
New User
do they make a tool to take the trim out around the radio? i really don't want to break anything!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Just the fingers and the 7 mm socket. Be careful, I first removed my surround by prying away the top with a wide flat metal key, you know, one of those stamped 'lugage' keys. After that I found it is easier to open the ashtray/drink holder a little, then grasp the lower rim of the surround, and pull it away. There are 8 VERY strong white sharp edged clips holding it in place. Do this at your own risk, but so far no reports of breaking it have been posted. Watch out for the clips. They will gouge the finish, or your radio, or cut your fingers. Make sure that all 8 are clipped back on the surround before you replace it.

First time to pull it off, it is very firm. It loosens up a little. Wouldn't want to be pulling it off three times a day or something.

Take your time. Pull it up a little, one side then the other. and when it comes loose, be sure you have a towel or something to put between the surround and the dash, so you can rest it there while you pull the radio.
Pulling the radio is super easy. Ford made a good modulear design here.

Don't bother to pull it till you have a goal, I.E. already have the radio your going to put in.

Chris

Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
ChrisAdams, why did you get rid of the DD stereo? I was looking into the Kenwood DD with the full face screen. I would really like to get one out of say a navigator or aviator with the full face, but am not sure about the interface. Anyone know about this??

Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Not sure I follow, I had the stock Double Din with single CD and Am/Fm. I wanted MP3. I didn't care much for the 6 disk changers. Even on E-bay they were going for 125-200 bucks. For that kind of money I could get a much better, MP3 capable, system. I was able to get a Kenwood 225 for 80 bucks, less than half the Fry's price, brand new. I sold my factory radio for 75 bucks... I did swap the Kenwood kdc-mp225 for a Kenwood 622, as I like that model better. Both Kenwoods had vastly superior sound than the stock radio, even with the low power factory speakers.
I presently have the Kenwood double mounted with an 'in-dash' pop out LCD hooked to my front and rear cameras. Still deciding if I should keep the Kenwood or switch to a DVD ready reciver.
Whoops, gotta go, will post later if you have any questions.
Chris