Sponsored by: DP Tuner

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
jadel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy what would you do?

my truck is a94.5 psd F450 with 182,000miles on it.the truck itself is sound but the engine is using some oil 1-2qts every 200 miles i put new glo plugs on it last year it smokes realy bad and had injectors done over cost me $1800.00 and got truck back and is missing and sputtering untill realy warm and now it is backfiring and no throttle response i pulled the intake side off the tubo and there is some oil laying in intake tube coming from breather and one blade is bent realy bad on turbo priced one of those today and it costs $1175.00 and i have noticed a considerable amount of blow by on dipstick tube plus the engine looks like it leaks from everywhere i think i should cut my losses and get me a newer truck in better condition what do you guys think.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If it were me, and I had as much invested as you do, I'd take the time to conduct a few tests to be sure it was really a lost cause. The oil consumption could be something as routine as injector O-rings. If they were letting high pressure oil past them and into the fuel system, you'd be burning some lousy pre-mixed fuel, losing oil from the crankcase, and the truck would run crappy.
That wouldn't explain the damaged turbo, but here is one on eBay for a lot less money than you're talking about. Here is another one for even less.
I'd get the O-rings replaced, which would cost less than $100US for parts, and a Saturday of your time. If I saw a big improvement in the overall operation, I'd consider picking up a used turbo and swap that out.
I wouldn't give up just yet. You might be within a few hundred dollars of having it sorted out.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM
jadel
Senior User
the thing with the turbo is that it still seems to spool up at about 1800 to 2000rpm you can here it and you can feel itand the thing with the o-rings is that the mechanic says they did not look bad so what do i do tell him to replace them anyway i do not know why he did not replace them any way when he had the injectors out.