1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
ThisGuy5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post here! I just replaced my ball joints and am having a little issue on my 02. I have got it all back together but noticed when putting the snap ring back on after the three washers outside the hub bearing, I noticed I could get half of the snap ring into the grove but not the other half, also when I went to put the locking hub back on, it would not line up. It seems as though the axle shaft is not centered properly. Also when I bearing assembly the bearing feels "notchy" but when I take it out, it spins fine. Any ideas?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
cjcocn
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisGuy5
First post here! I just replaced my ball joints and am having a little issue on my 02. I have got it all back together but noticed when putting the snap ring back on after the three washers outside the hub bearing, I noticed I could get half of the snap ring into the grove but not the other half, also when I went to put the locking hub back on, it would not line up. It seems as though the axle shaft is not centered properly. Also when I bearing assembly the bearing feels "notchy" but when I take it out, it spins fine. Any ideas?
Sounds like you may have re-installed the axle a little bit farther in then it needs to be.

Take a pry bar and line it up on the axle near the u-joints (behind the hub). Line it up so that you can pry the axle back out just enough to seat your snap ring.

As you put the components back together your axle shaft will be lined up by the parts that you re-install.

PS ...... and Welcome to FTE!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
ThisGuy5
New User
Well I ended up snapping the ABS wire so I went and bought a new hub bearing assembly at the cost of $334 from the dealer... Fixed the problem though. Axle shaft lines up and things are good. now to tackle the other side... haha

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
missouguy
Elder User
[QUOTE=cjcocn;12488940]Sounds like you may have re-installed the axle a little bit farther in then it needs to be.(quote)

I did the same thing the first time. Next week when I do the other side I think I will try a suggestion I saw on this thread.

Drive the axle partially in, then bolt up the hub/bearing assembly to the proper torque. This is supposed to push everything in where it needs to go. Maybe I won't have to pry the axle back out to get the snap ring on.

Anyone tried this?

Frank

Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM
KHADIJE22
New User
noise in the4x4after u joint been replaced

Drive slowly to make sure that everything feels ok. Check to make sure the 4x4 works too.

my 4x4 is making noise when it is on why ???that happen after replacing a u joint in the front wheel axle
i have f350 08 6.4 diesel

Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KHADIJE22
Drive slowly to make sure that everything feels ok. Check to make sure the 4x4 works too.

my 4x4 is making noise when it is on why ???
i have f350 08 6.4 diesel
What kind of noise? A clink, a clunk, a hum, a buzz, a grind.... all of these could mean very different things.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Finally got the ball joints done on the '02. One thing did happen:

When I pulled the right hub/bearing assembly, came out way too easy, I discovered the knuckle was full of black grease. I assumed this came out of the hub/bearing assembly so I replaced it. Was this the right move, or could I just clean it up and put it back together?

I always like to play it safe, so I replaced it. $200 I had not planned to spend.

Frank

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by missouguy
Finally got the ball joints done on the '02. One thing did happen:

When I pulled the right hub/bearing assembly, came out way too easy, I discovered the knuckle was full of black grease. I assumed this came out of the hub/bearing assembly so I replaced it. Was this the right move, or could I just clean it up and put it back together?

I always like to play it safe, so I replaced it. $200 I had not planned to spend.

Frank
It most likely came out of the sealed bearing assy cause thats the only thing with grease up there.... make sure your auto locking hubs still work, they are a PITA.

kenny

Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mercury45
It most likely came out of the sealed bearing assy cause thats the only thing with grease up there.... make sure your auto locking hubs still work, they are a PITA.

kenny
Thanks, fortunately I have manual hubs.

Frank

Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did the job this weekend. Went extremely well and my ball joints were SHOT at 66,000 miles. If you want to do this with any ease, i can assure you that you want to have a 1. ford ball joint press 2. pitman arm puller 3. long ratchets (1/2" and 3/4" drive stuff) 4. big 3 jaw puller to remove hub 5. big pry bar to remove axle. Those things made this very easy

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just had my machine shop at work lathe my homemade Lowe's seal press. I went with the Napa ball joints. Going to start on it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
It appears that most of you guys are working on 4WD trucks. Being the owner of a RWD vehicle my job will obviously be different than yours.

My ball joints are pretty much shot so it's time to dig in and do the work. I have the new Moog ball joints on order. I was a little pissed that the local parts house stopped carrying them. I've been using Moog for 30+ years, what happened guys?

Anyway, I digress. The job looks pretty straightforward but if there are any little things I need to watch out for it sure would be nice to know beforehand.

To the question: Is changing the ball joints on the RWD truck really as simple as it looks? I'm a pretty decent mechanic and it looks like I should be able to do it in about 2 to 3 hours max with air tools. I'm going to start presoaking the bolts with penetrating oil this weekend. Any other advice you guys can give me?

Thanks in advance,

trailhead

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by DJR96
Wowsers! You could literally buy all the tools to do the job yourself for less and have the HUGE added bonus of being able to do any further repairs yourself in the future.

Or am I just old fashioned, preferring to do all my own work and keep my dosh in my pocket. Is that a lost talent nowadays?
Originally Posted by DJR96
Fair call. It's a lifestyle choice you've made and I respect that.
A choice we all have to make. Personally, I prefer to value my time for myself even though I may not be as well off financially. My sanity and family time is worth more to me than wage slaving for someone else.
Ones effort to prevent expenditure is equal to having to earn it in the first place.

Just a few life observations..................
And they are appreciated, Dave.

Working on your own stuff is not a lost art, I've been doing it forever and I will continue to do so until I'm dead. I was a crew chief in the US Air Force and was wrenching on my bicycles in the garage since I was about 5 years old. My dad was an aircraft mechanic, my uncle and grandfather were mechanics. I think it runs in the blood sometimes.

My main reason for doing it is that I love the challenge. Second would be I like knowing what is going on, I trust very few people to wrench on my stuff. Third, I'm cheap! I hate spending the money on something I can do myself.

A little anecdote. Several years ago I had the oil changed on my car by one of the oil change shops. I was driving home afterward and steam started billowing out of the engine compartment. I was almost home so I got it in the driveway and popped the hood only to find the wrench at the place hadn't tightened the radiator cap.

I never had anyone touch my car again after that.

trailhead

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by trailhead2004

Second would be I like knowing what is going on, I trust very few people to wrench on my stuff.

trailhead
thats the only reason i do everything on anything i own! Ive seen kids still i high school working at places and if asked where a brake cylinder was they would point at the the master cylinder. I'm teaching my 6 year old son whenever i do something, its sad to see the youth not even being able to change a air filter because they don't know what a Phillips screwdriver is!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I'm teaching my 6 year old son whenever i do something, its sad to see the youth not even being able to change a air filter because they don't know what a Phillips screwdriver is!
That's great Scaler! And one further benefit that I hope you realize, you're not only giving your son skills, you're also giving him memories that will last his entire life.

I think back to the time I spent with my dad in the garage, listening, watching, asking questions, learning, just plain talking... Some of the best times of my life!

I miss you dad!

trailhead

Quick Reply: How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints