How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints

Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BolderKeith
He said, after the seal is installed on the axle, slip axle with seal through the knucle, and then slip the four hub studs through the knucle, and draw the axle and seal into place by tightening the four nuts in small increments to keep things straight.
I've never thought about doing it that way.
Not a bad idea

Old 05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
mostoyzwinz
Freshman User
mostoyzwinz is starting off with a positive reputation.
nice instructions racerguy...a big help. here's what i learned from doing my rusted front axle bj job. 1. the hub bearing assembly mounting studs were very rusted into the knuckle. side one took me four hours, a hot wrench, gear puller, and a 12 pound sledge....likely trashing the bearing in the process. so, how did i do side two? take the four nuts off, spray with penetrating oil, install nuts flush with top of studs, and use an impact driver, alternating between studs, and the second side was off in 30 minutes. i gave 'murph' at brewster ford in brewster, ny $20 for this valuable info. 2. pulling the axle seal assembly through the knuckle proved equally frustrating. after reaching through the back side with a screwdriver to push the seal lip into the knuckle, the axle seal assembly came out much easier. i'll post this in a new thread i'm gonna start on a separte axle bearing question.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Gnikhog
New User
Gnikhog is starting off with a positive reputation.
ball joint press suggestions?

Now at 108K miles, it is finally ball joint time and I plan on springing for a ball joint press. Do you have any brand/model# suggestions or preferences?

Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
BolderKeith
New User
BolderKeith is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Gnikhog
Now at 108K miles, it is finally ball joint time and I plan on springing for a ball joint press. Do you have any brand/model# suggestions or preferences?
I rented a ball joint press set ($106) and a pickle fork ($11) from Auto Zone, and when you return them you get all your dollars refunded. I installed Moog ball joints which have grease fittings. Autozone has a lifetime ball joint for a lot less money; I have no idea who makes them. There are reports that the press that Harbor Freight sell bends, and I can believe it. It takes enormous force to remove and install the ball joints; DO NOT TRY TO POUND THEM IN AND OUT! Good luck.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Jeep Guy
New User
Jeep Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
With parts lined up and everything ready, how long would you say this install is from breakdown to finish??

Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
kbodge
Freshman User
kbodge is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I did my ball joints it took the day to break everything down and put it all back together, that included replacing all the seals on the front axle. IMHO I would give yourself the day to get it done, in case you run into a gremlin.

Kev

Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
BolderKeith
New User
BolderKeith is starting off with a positive reputation.
With everything lined up and all the tools required to make the job easier I would guess 8 to 12 hours. Here are some of the difficult things I ran into: 1:The pickle fork that AutoZone rents is too small to fit the lower ball joint so I enlarged the inside of it some. And I also use a large bolt and nut as a jack screw inside of the knuckle to put pressure to aid in breaking it loose (do this before removing the upper ball joint). 2: Buy yourself a large three jaw gear puller to remove the hub assembly from the knuckle, this may save you more time than anything else. I used a two jaw with some hassle. 3: The ball joint press kit that AutoZone rents works, but requires some different sized rings. You will see what I mean when you begin to remove and install the joints. 4: The large axle seal requires a tool that keeps the seal square. It can be assembled from a piece of water pipe that is a fairly close fit on the axle, a threaded expender (reducer), and a piece of pipe or fitting the rests on the seal. When you press or pound the seal on be sure to NOT support the axle through the u-joints, it will damage them and they will soon fail.

Well good luck.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
mrjay62
Freshman User
mrjay62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help!!!

Racerguy: Thanks for the post on replacing the balljoints everything is just as you said it is: I have a 2003 F250 S/D everything has gone good so far now I have the new balljoints in and I'm trying to tighten the lower balljoint nut to 150 ft. lb., but the shaft turns, the new joint came with a lock nut. What am I missing here is there a trick to this?? Any help would be appreciated. Anyone with any input..

Thanks Jay

Last edited by mrjay62; 06-29-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Wrong name: Raceguy to Racerguy.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Gnikhog
New User
Gnikhog is starting off with a positive reputation.
mrjay62- I found that applying a little pressure to the bottom of the lower balljoint/knucle assembly with my balljoint/C-press allowed me to tighten the nut without a problem. You could probably do the same with a strategically placed floor jack.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
mrjay62
Freshman User
mrjay62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tried that around 5 this morning just about lifted the truck still turned

Old 07-09-2006, 08:39 PM
mostoyzwinz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mrjay62
tried that around 5 this morning just about lifted the truck still turned
I used the floor jack method and it still gave me fits. Took a hour or so to get it to catch. Keep at it, you'll get it...don't cheat and run a tap through the nut. Make sure the jack is pushing on the bj, not the knuckle.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:48 AM
21M
New User
21M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Racerguy--thanks for the write-up--you should publish a book! I used the knowledge gained through this awsome site to complete rt side ball joint job--complete with new knuckle seal. Now I'm getting around to the lt side. I have two questions:
1. While apart, is there any way to visually tell if my bearing/hub assembly is bad or near going bad?
2. Can the knuckle seal be reused, or is it a must to replace? I slipped the axle out and the seal seems to be in good shape. After going through the procedure on the right side, this corner cut would save me some hassle on the left. Does anyone have any war stories to share on success/failure of trying to reuse this seal?

Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forum 21M

As for writing a book....I don't think so. I have a hard enough time replying to posts here sometimes. lol
To tell whether the bearing/hub is good or not you need to check it for play. There should be no up or down or in and out movement of the flange where the wheel bolts to. While it's apart you can also spin it and listen closely for any noise or roughness feeling. There shouldn't be any.
I've never reused a knuckle seal. I work in a dealership and don't want a comeback in case the seal fails.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
21M
New User
21M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Racerguy--I understand where you are coming from not wanting to chance it on the seal. I did end up reusing the seal on the left side--time will tell if that was a mistake.

One more thing about this job--I replaced the ball joints with new ones w/grease fittings--problem is, after everything was installed, I couldn't grease the upper ball joint cause of the axle u-joint. What I ended up having to do is unscrew the standard grease fitting and screw a 45 degree grease fitting in to do the grease, then I had to take out the 45 and replace with the regular to give clearance for the u-joint. I guess I'll be doing that every time I grease from now on--but at least it can be greased now!

Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 AM
mostoyzwinz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 21M
I guess I'll be doing that every time I grease from now on--but at least it can be greased now!
ditto here...until i got tired of that and milled off the top of the grease fitting to get clearance. i went too far on the first one and milled into the inside. easiest way ultimately was to use a pair of pliers and a bench grinder to round it off. fittings are cheap if you go too far. some fittings are bulkier than others so shop around.

Last edited by mostoyzwinz; 07-21-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.