1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Have you made plans for when your "Truck Passes On"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:44 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry 46, My bad. It is: www.pros-pick.com
real good people. Sent me a sample of ash for my 56 so I could color match paint. The phone" 1-888-701-8881 Tell em' Jon from Denver sent you. Mention the " little book"

Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Mike

Old 03-11-2005, 12:49 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great stuff John, you certainly have a way with words.
My dad wasnt around while I was growing up, but this board has taught me soooo many things. Before I became a member, I maybe had a hammer,some pliers, and a screwdriver. Im now well on my way to having a nice tool set, and Im building a truck that I think about day and night. Its definitely something that cant be bought, its a joy that only we share.

Thanks for the writing, I emailed it to others to appreciate.

Rich

Old 03-11-2005, 12:01 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I am again truly blessed. My father worked on cars with me as I grew up. He was a Master tool and die maker and basically a genius in design and fabrication. My father always made every effort to make sure his children were taken care of both financially, and being self reliant. Although we have no knowledge of what lies ahead, I'd like to the same for my twin boys. Since my father's passing, I have all his tools and am forever grateful for having them. It's difficult at time, because I miss having him give advice or fabricating whatever for me. I'm building the truck for myself and hopefully will pass it on to one of my boys, and I have a restored 66 Mustang for the other. (The Mustang was my fathers which he purchased in 1966 and has 68,000 original miles). I am very appreciative of what my father taught me and I am going to make it a point to carry that on to my boys. I'm only hopeful they will be as appreciative as I am.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
WHATEVER YOU WANT DONE WITH YOUR MOST VALUED POSESSIONS BE SURE TO PUT IT IN WRITING!

What a mess! but it all turned out OK.

My Dad passed away 2yrs ago this Feburary after a long battle with cancer. As bad as it was seeing him get weaker and weaker, we were able to make all arrangements and fullfill his final requests, but how quickly family members forget the loved ones wishes!

My dad loved his 2 grand daughters but longed for a grand son. Just 2 weeks before his death my wife and he had a long discussion about his life and all that he had accomplished. My wife then told him of how much we all loved him and how much Kevin (me) would miss him. He then went on to say that he would be replaced. She asked what do you mean? He said once I'm gone I will do everything I can to send you a boy! A little over a year after his passing we had a baby boy, my how my dad would have been proud!

Now back to the problem. my dad wanted the FIRST grandson to HAVE his orignal 1966 dodge coronet 440.

Shortly after his passing, there was talk of selling the car (no grandson yet) I couldnt bear the thought of the car going down the road to someone and not being cared for. I insisted to my mother she should keep the car for a while longer.

Jacob Henry (named after my grandpa and dad) arrives and in around the same time my mom gets a boy friend companion. Everyone seemed to forget my dads wishes and now I could only imagine my mom (who never cruised with my dad) cruising my dads car with her new man!

The car club my dad belonged to has a yearly car show and all beenifits are donated in my dads memory with a Henry S. spirit award given out to a club member. The club only asked that dads car be present.

The lack of being driven was alredy aparent and the car was in need of a cleaning and care. I took the car to my house to perform repairs and detail and right away family members wanted to know where dads car went.

I drove the dodge to the car show with my mom, wife and 3 kids in the car (no room for the new man) At the show I presented the spirit award but before I read the name I introduced my son the NEW OWNER of my dads car to everyone there. I then explained that the car would be there every year so long as they continue the spirit award in my dads name.

After the show the car returned to my garage. My mom then bought a caddy and now her 2 car garage is full.

I received a letter from my insurance company stateing the "storage insurance" on one of my vehicles was only covered if it was at my residence (it was stored next door). My mom who had the same insurance co. found out that the car being in her name wasnt covered at my residence. I then told her she needed to take the car back so it would be insured (remember no room in her garage) She then signed the title over and I'm the owner/caretaker untill I see fit for my son to take the wheel.

A lesson learned ,
Kevin Bigwin

Old 03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passing on what we have learned from our parents is important and share their legacy is a must. Our youngest son was going to school to become an aircraft mechanic and had just received his tool chest and tools a week before the accident. I have to finish paying for his tool chest and tools before I can bring it home. When I'm gone each of the remaining sons will receive a tool chest full of tools from me. I like the idea of documenting the progress of the vehicle and where everything comes from. Not all the trucks are stock and Lord knows my will be a hybrid at best.
Gear Up