Fuel Mileage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 AM
csangster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Mileage Questions

Questions

1) What fuel economy can be expected from a stock 7.3L?

2) With aftermarket performance upgrades, what kind of fuel economy can be expected?

I understand this is not an exact science, but I am trying to gather data points for myself. The wife and I are considering buying a Super Duty to haul our family around in and I want a diesel.

3) What aftermarket upgrades are used to get beter gas mileage? My experience tells me exhaust, chip, and a programmer......what other options are there?

Thank you in advance for your information,
Chris

p.s. I have an identical thread in the 6.0L Powerstroke forum

Old 03-08-2005, 08:43 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i was getting 15mpg stock out of my 97 get about 17 out of the 2000

on my 97 ive got bigger injectors, chip, 5" exaust, open intake, couple other things
i added close to 200 hp and still get 15 mpg and there isnt a time im "nice" to it

wife 2k seems to get 17 bout all the time, just has the muffler removed. but she is alot nicer to her truck than i am to mine.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
tex1313
Junior User
getting around 17-18city on stock 99 7.3L but added a programmer and it jumped to around 19-20city. Got 25mpg on the highway with the programmer but I was being nice to her that day! Don't forget about the air intake mod. This can also help with 1-2 mpg increase.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 AM
wycowboy
Elder User
Hey tex 1313>
What progamer are you running and on what setting to get imprvements like that?

Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
csangster
Senior User
mileage

Originally Posted by tex1313
getting around 17-18city on stock 99 7.3L but added a programmer and it jumped to around 19-20city. Got 25mpg on the highway with the programmer but I was being nice to her that day! Don't forget about the air intake mod. This can also help with 1-2 mpg increase.

Tex1313,

Those are the kinds of numbers I am looking for. Did you do exhaust modifications? I would think that this would help.

What aftermarket components did you use?

thanks,
Chris

Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Turbo6
New User
What's the air intake mod? Are you talking about the Napa filter?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wondering the same things. I've got a stock '96 7.3. Which mods are actually cost effective? 2-3 mpg is pretty good, but how much do these mods cost?
Ditto on the intake mods????
Which chip would do best for mpg? I'm not looking for more power. I know more power is always good, but I'm not pulling anything right now.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 AM
5plusfordtrucks
Junior User
We've got a 99, 350 (Dullie) w/7.3, 6spd manual, and went from 10mpg to 16mpg with just a 4" exhaust upgrade (kept the cat) and a K&N Cold Air Indiction Kit. We had to do some work on the injectors after the mods as all the power was too much for it. We later found a good cleaning was all it took. Our next move is the BullyDog in-cab Tuner!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
5plusfordtrucks
Junior User
I think for both mods we may have spent about $600. But as many mile as we put on her, we made that back REAL quick!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by 5plusfordtrucks
We've got a 99, 350 (Dullie) w/7.3, 6spd manual, and went from 10mpg to 16mpg with just a 4" exhaust upgrade (kept the cat) and a K&N Cold Air Indiction Kit. We had to do some work on the injectors after the mods as all the power was too much for it. We later found a good cleaning was all it took. Our next move is the BullyDog in-cab Tuner!
5plusfordtrucks,

Thanks. It sounds like with the right modifications you can get a nice increase in fuel mileage.

Chris

Old 03-09-2005, 12:08 PM
tex1313
Junior User
Originally Posted by csangster
Tex1313,

Those are the kinds of numbers I am looking for. Did you do exhaust modifications? I would think that this would help.

What aftermarket components did you use?

thanks,
Chris
I used the hypertech power programmer. Some guys on here will say not to use the hypertech programmer, but it has been great for me. Might want to do a search on chips, programmers to get a better idea. I drive with a fairly light foot so that's why I get better mpg. When I need the get up and go it's there though! I haven't done any modes to the exhaust or air filter YET. Probably just do the exhaust first. I was looking at it yesterday and looks as to be a 3.5" down pipe with 4" run to the muffler and out the back. Maybe it's already been done. No cat just a muffler. I think I'm going to straight pipe it soon. I've got a welder so should be fairly simple.
The other thing is that it is highly suggested on this forum that before you do any drastic mods, put gauges on! You can do a search of the forum for gauges and get alot of information about gauges and which ones, ect.
Hope this helps some.
tex1313

Old 03-09-2005, 12:13 PM
csangster
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex1313
I used the hypertech power programmer. Some guys on here will say not to use the hypertech programmer, but it has been great for me. Might want to do a search on chips, programmers to get a better idea. I drive with a fairly light foot so that's why I get better mpg. When I need the get up and go it's there though! I haven't done any modes to the exhaust or air filter YET. Probably just do the exhaust first. I was looking at it yesterday and looks as to be a 3.5" down pipe with 4" run to the muffler and out the back. Maybe it's already been done. No cat just a muffler. I think I'm going to straight pipe it soon. I've got a welder so should be fairly simple.
The other thing is that it is highly suggested on this forum that before you do any drastic mods, put gauges on! You can do a search of the forum for gauges and get alot of information about gauges and which ones, ect.
Hope this helps some.
tex1313

Tex1313,

The purpose for installing the gauges is to provide myself with a baseline? What normally comes in the gauge package. The truck I end up purchasing is definitely going to have a manual transmission.

Please describe for me how the addition of gauges would help me...I am quite inexperienced with diesels....I definitely understand the benefit of having hard numbers for monitoring my system, I just want a little bit of an education.

Thank you,
Chris

Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I have an 02 F350 4x4 SRW Crew cab and I've tried just about everything there is and 18mpg is it,20 was my goal but i never reached it.18 was driving like your 90 yr old grandma too with no idleing. If ya'll are running any kind of chip or tuner and have that overhead console that tells you your mileage,,, its way off. Something about the tuners and chips throws the overhead off, and its off alot too. I get an average of about 16.5-17, and thats driving it right. If i drive it like my tuner wants me too i see alot of 14's. The only superdutys i ever seen that would get 20mpg were 2 wheel drive models with no mods. I actually never seen a difference in mileage with any mod i have ever done and i keep a log of every tank of fuel in my truck.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:06 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have to take into account on which type of fuel you are getting at the pumps. Winter grade does not give you good mileage. My mileage goes down 3 to 4 MPG in the winter and it depends on how much ideling I do when warming up the truck. And MRBASS is right in the overhead console. Do not trust the number you see on the overhead console. It shows that I get sometimes 21+ MPG, but after doing the math, its more like 15 MPG. I probably would be getting better mileage, but I have a problem with my foot. Seems that the lead in my a$$ has gone down to my right foot. Can't seem to keep it off of the pedal. I guess it has something to do with the 100HP tune that I am currently playing with.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
5plusfordtrucks
Junior User
I don't have the overhead Console, I calculate mine, and it does varry from time to time, but that is on average... w/o any chips... thus far...