97' F150 4.6 4X4 towing with bumper - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 AM
lllateralus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97' F150 4.6 4X4 towing with bumper - please advise

Thanks for reading.

My factory bumper on my F150 (ext cab base model, 4X4 4.6 litre)
says 500 lbs max tongue, 5000 lbs max trailer weight.

Would it be safe to pull a ~21 foot travel trailer that weighs about
2400 lbs dry, 3500-3800 lbs wet using the bumper?
(dual axle, not sure if they are equipt with trailer brakes or not)

Not sure if my truck is equipt with a tranny cooler or not.
It does have the wiring and universal trailer connector down there already, but no receiver hitch.

Please give any advise you can.
Please dont tell me to go and trade for a 5.4 or anything to that effect.

I am very happy with my F150. She has 89K miles, doesnt burn the slightest drop of oil, takes a serious beating off road and runs like new.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:15 AM
fordman311
Senior User
I cant really help you with the towing part but I have the OEM towing package and it came with hitch and transmission radiator. It's real easy to see, if you do have it there are two small radiators in front of the main radiator, sitting at the bottom. You can see them through the bumper intake.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:00 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
I would advise against using the bumper for towing except in very limited cases. With the bumper, you can not have the ball at the proper height for the trailer. This can cause big problems if the tongue weight is too light, including wrecking you. Depending on you state laws, you probably are required to have trailer brakes and may be required to have a weight distribution hitch. Get a hitch, it will be a lot safer.
As to whether you have a trannie cooler, look behind the front grille, from top and bottom. There should be 2 small coolers, not counting radiator and air cond. One will be power steering and the other would be for the transmission. The transmission cooler will have lines going into the radiator. If you only have one, you probably only have power steering.
Your 4.6 should tow it fine.
Check into your state laws and see what is required for towing that weight. As for weight, go by the GVWR of the trailer, rather than empty and what you think it may weigh loaded.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you will go to the salvage yards, I'll bet you can find a receiver to bolt onto the frame of your truck very cheap. I gave $35 for mine. When you bolt it on, tack weld the nuts for safety.

Yes, it's easy to look for cooler, but even if your truck has one, extra load will raise the transmission temp. ATF life is cut in half for every 10 degrees above normal that it rises. You did not fill in your profile as to where you live, but in the summer time, in the Southern areas of the country you would be well advised to change ATF every time you pull the trailer a considerable distance. This will go a long way toward preserving your transmission. All that said, you did not specifically say that you have an automatic transmission, but it is implied because of the cooler comment. Ideally a manual transmission is best for towing if you want to retain reliability and longevity. Automatic transmissions are really taxed for such work requiring lots of additional maintenance to make them live for the long term under such conditions.

Best of luck,
Doc

Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM
mayhelm
Junior User
Except for the height problem you might have, like kingfish said. Towing a 4000lb trailer with the bumper is not a problem, especially one with a double axle. It will stress your tranny but not enough to worry about. All cars and trucks have coolers, some are in the radiator, but it is much better to have a separate external cooler.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
SHUSTANG
Senior User
id get a hitch. if you dont have the weight right, id could be bad. if the trailer is tilted up in the front, that puts alot of weight towards the back of the trailer. if it starts to wiggle a little bit in the back, it could be very hard to get it under control. and it might also pull up on the bumper if its tilted up in the front, depending on where the axles are on the trailer. less traction on drive wheels. i drive tractor trailer and when loading we always tried to put weight evenly through the trailer. id just get a hitch. and the right reciver. i towed a car backwards on a short trailer once and wasnt a very easy ride. rearend was all over the place.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
peppermrj
Senior User
My 2 cents.

Number 1 priority. Brakes! I would not tow a trailer of this weight without trailer brakes. Adjust both trailer and rear truck breaks for maximum stopping. Also you will need a brake control box. Get the best one you can afford.

Number 2. Trailer sway. Both trailer and truck should sit as level as possible when hooked up. Tongue weight should be 10% of the loaded trailer weight. The trailer should be loaded with a slight bias to the front (60/40). Too much tongue weight will reduce front end traction (steering and braking). Too little and trailer sway will be increased. If you will be trailering in high wind areas or at high speeds a stabilizer bar is cheap insurance. Shouldn't be neccessary on a 21 footer if not.
I have seen different types of adapters to lower the hitch point on bumber hitches but have no personal experience with them. Consult a hitch dealers website (REESE). If they will take the weight that your bumber will, you should be good.

A trans cooler is cheap insurance. Don't leave home without one. I also changed my trans fluid to synthetic as it is much more temperature stabile. Yes all 17 quarts.

Be careful not to exceed your the vehicles weight rating. Not to hard to do with 400 lb tongue weight, a few passengers, and a bed full of camping goodies. Also check out the combined vehicle weight rating. Hit a scale at a truck stop.

Lastly at every gas stop on your first few trips check the hookup. Bounce on both the bumper and the tongue. Make sure everything is tight and remains tight. I saw a trailer come loose on the interstate and flip while being dragged by the chains of the tow vehicle. Everyone was fine but the two HD's on the trailer took a hit. I was amazed that they never came loose those racheting tie down straps are incredibly strong. By the way the nut on the trailer ball came loose and simply fell off. Ouch!

Happy trailering

Old 03-08-2005, 12:57 AM
hometheaterman
Junior User
Get a hitch.