I Need Help Locating some Stainless Steel for a Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need Help Locating some Stainless Steel for a Project

Hello All,
I've been calling around and just got back from visiting a metal scrap yard across town, with no luck. I am searching for a piece of stainless steel bar that is about 1/2" thick by 3/4" wide by 8" long. Does anybody here have any leads or stainles steel scraps sitting in the corner of their shop?

Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
dang, thats a big chunk of stainless! 3/4 wide and 8 ft long i can see, but 1/2 in thick?

might try a machine shop, mabey a production shop would have something you could use.

can you double 1/4 in and do what you need?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Heya Jim. Good to hear from you again!!! Actually it's not that big what I'm looking for is 3/4 inch wide, by 1/2inch thick, by 8 inches long. It's gonna replace my busted aluminum winch hook on the front of my antique boat.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Hmm.... well, if you're willing to pay a premium, I could look into seeing if we can order some up at work. Though I'm really not sure, we don't usually deal with stainless.

What about some cold roll flat, same size, grade 50? I could probably manage to get ahold of some of that for pretty cheap.

A modest welcome back to you Jim.

STan

Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
Wink

ohhhhh, now i unerstant! i tant help being tupid, i was born this way! [and it only gets worse as time goes by!] cryin shame when you read it and then dont know what you read. oh well, another year and 10 more points off the i.q., and i aint got that many to spare!

Old 03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, I'm replacing the broken aluminum piece with a piece of stainless so there is no painting or rust involved. Stan, do ya'll have any S.S. scraps at work that could be trimmed down to the size I'm looking for?

No biggee, Jim. I'd blame the confusion on the weather. I don't know if it's winter, summer, or spring when I wake up each morning.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check Home Depot and Lowes. They both have racks full of various sizes of steel, aluminum and SS bar stock. There's also a place in Wichita (the name of it escapes me at the moment) that sells scrap from the aircraft manufacturers cheap. I bought a piece of 3" 7075 aluminum bar stock 16" long from them a few years ago for like $20. That chunk would have cost me a few hundred bucks retail.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Actually Ron, I don't. I think the only way I could get ahold of SS would be to special order it for me... oops I mean you (if you want the 70% employee discount that is). That's if we can even get it, I've never handled stainless out there, and am unsure if we can order it, but I could certainly look into it for you. The only problem is you would have to buy a whole stick... no telling how much that is. A36 and A50 is around $.40-$.70/lb. So I'm sure stainless would cost some big bucks.

Aside from that, have you maybe tried Borg steel??

STan

Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

I am pretty sure we have some scrap in our shop, we use all kinds of stainless for just about everything. Problem would be getting it to you. I'll check in the morning and let you know for sure. I know we have 1" thick and I think there is some 1/2 also.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks, Fordborn, I'm gonna stop by two more places on the way home to see if I can locate what I'm looking for. I guess people don't work with Stainless steel very much.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

It looks like I have some flat stock that is around an inch wide 1/2 inch thick and probably 1 foot long.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you're hooked up, but in case anybody needs the info the place in Wichita is called The Yard.