1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Y block to fmx auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not saying the C4 is a "Boat Anchor" like you did with the FMX BUT John races his HEAVY car all year and at the end of the season does very little to it. He uses it because it works great and he'd only pick up about a .10 if he switched and that is primarily from weight savings.

You are wrong about the FMX being expensive to run. They really don't cost any more than the rest of them. It is a little hareder to find a knowledgable mechanic as they are getting a little old. the C4 can get real pricey if you start running heavy cars with a lot of torque. Those lightweight parts need to be replaced with special parts that add up. You don't have that problem with the FMX.

They are both good transmissions and both have there place But if you are running a Y vehicle that you can just bolt up the FMX there is no reason to put a C4 there. It just doen't make since. If I was going to put a later model ford engine in the Y vehicle I'd use the appropriate teansmission and not the FMX. John's car is not a high buck car just a well engineered one. Just for the record it snatches both wheels of of that 3700 lb car so you know he is making some torque. Nothing wrong with a FMX.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Joe mollnow
New User
Talking

HI EVERYONE; Thanks for all the info great site. Just got back home from getting the fmx transmission it has about 2000 miles on a rebuild .I got the torque converter the guy said he had a shift kit put into it.It came out of a 1965 ford galaxie 351? HE upgraded his ford too a 390/c6 sold the motor and tran. 2 years ago the guy never came back for the fmx call and said he didn,t want it he was going standard . Good find I think had to lay out $125.00 for it?I guess nothing is free. Back to the questions a friend has a air cooled automatic transmission with a bolt on bell housing ( field car y block early fifitys rusted out wagon)Would this bell housing ? or what year should I be looking for?I still need the Flex plateand need to locate one.Also what about the starter will the one I got work. I understand about the installation problemsDrilling holes; drive shaft lenght,transmission mount linkage but that's what makes it fun! My time is free and there is still snow on the ground. Thanks;JOE

Old 03-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well Joe, I know very little about the transmissions you guys and gals are discussing, but I have to say you've got a great attitude. There will always be opinions that differ when a group with this much experience gets together, but it sounds like you know what your assets are and are willing to work with what you have. Hat's off to you and good luck!

Old 03-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the c4 is being pushed like the sb chevy.i know its lighter and uses less power to run and if that means a lot to you go ahead and use it.the fmx can be put in a y for peanuts.and a lot less work.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:34 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a beefed C4 in a very potent 276" flathead in a lightweight Model T coupe and it ran great. I also had a C4 behind a 351M (factory install) in a 78 Cougar and it fried 3X in 60K miles.
My 351W in a E350 has a nice strong C6.

I wouldnt risk using a C4 behind a Y or any potent motor without beefing it.
And yes, Ive been to several Fun Ford Weekends at the NE Dragway and watched 7 second 'stangs. Vendor next to me sold C4 goodies and thats what I used in the T.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:39 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
You've made a good decision. I contacted John to get a update on his performance and the performance of the FMX. I was amazed at what he said and I'll quote him.

"Charles:

Best last fall was 11.74 (twice) at 116.02 quarter mile, 3700 lbs with me and my trusty Y block in it.
1/8 mile times were 7.43 @ 92.98.

On teardown this winter, I found 3 pistons with no oil ring separators because of cracked pistons, and 3 leaky valves because of worn guides. Maybe the new engine can do a little better

Oh, as for the FMX, I put in one clutch plate, new O rings on the servos, new front pump bushing and seal, and fresh fluid. First time it's been apart in about 8 years.

John"

I have some articles on the FMX install if you need them. Use a car bellhousing and tailshaft if you are going to use a rear mount. Use the truck if you are going to use a bellhousing mount. The starters are the same. The bell housing you refer to should work if you use a rear tailshaft mount. I can't remember on the flexplate. I'll try to look it up.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Joe, If your truck currently has an automatic bellhousing, that's the one to use. It will have mounting pads on it. Again, be looking for a 59-62 Ford Cruise-o-matic equipped Y-block vehicle. Get the flex plate. If you can get the bellhousing for cheap (<$50), do it. You can resell that for a profit.

The C-4 swap requires a rather expensive aftermarket bellhousing.

Last edited by pcmenten; 03-07-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 AM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had an interest in the FMX swap as well, and got lots of static. The last expert "Bob" tried to disuade me because rebuild parts were "impossible to find and expensive"?

I think I understood there was some drilling that had to be done to the crank???

For now I've dedicated myself to an original 3 Spd. Overdrive in my 55. But I dig my Y's and my next Y's gonna have an FMX. So was the "expert" right?

I like some of you take pleasure in the nostalgia of building a vintage vehicle with vintage parts. I of course don't expect my vintage vehicle to be a daily driver. That's why I have modern vehicles to get it to work and back.

Keep on Truckin, David

Old 03-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Joe mollnow
New User
Hi everybody, thank-you for all the info and ideas. I just got a bell housing off a ford o matic transmission. It bolts right up to the bottom two bolts of my fmx auto transmission perfectly. The top two holes need to be drill in the bell housing ears just below the original holes. Are these the holes I'm suppose to drill in the fmx that is mentioned in the forum? I'm trying to do it right. Also I need to locate the right flywheel. The fmx torque converter has a four bolt connection. The one in my truck is a three bolt connection. The one in the junkyard where I got the bell housing had a multi bolt pattern around the outside. Does anyone know where I can find fmx/ y block four bolt connverter flexplate? New or used. And also I'm looking for the sept. 1999 ??street rodder magazine that has this article in it, or a copy of the article. A picture is worth a thousand words. thanks again! Joe

Old 03-12-2005, 04:46 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Yes that is the two holes you need to drill.

If your three bolt convertor is OK then you need to use it, the flywheel and the front pump from the original trans in the FMX.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Daddywags
Senior User
I was just going to post this question on the '61-'66 forum (I have a '62 stepside / 292), but this post caught my eye. I was at work today and a patient told me he has an FMX, rebuilt several years ago, still sitting in his shed. He was going to install it behind a 292 in a '52 pickup, but he got hurt and is now in a wheelchair. He wants $150.00 for it with bell housing for the 292. My truck has a 4-speed; are the above posts pretty much relative to my situation? I'd really like to have the auto since I don't have power steering (yet). Will aftermarket floor shifters work on it like Lokar?

Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Fordknut
Senior User
Joe, Just so you know, Ford did put a 2 speed auto behind the 292 Y-blocks for a few years. Sounded just like the Cheby's "Powerslide". Years ago my brother had a '59 2 DrSd with a 292 and a 2 speed auto. Brian G. NY

Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Daddywags,

I don't even want to know how you got that name. Yes the above post are relative. However if you are confident the trans is good you may want to use a second alternative which is to turn down the torque convertor snout to fit the crankshaft. You should be able to use the complete package then. Remember to remove your pilot bushing. Yes you can use a Lokar shifter.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Daddywags
Senior User
Thanks Darkman. I'm only going by what he told me - seems like a good deal. I'm really not too familiar with trannies though. Mix'n matchin' stuff is pretty common on FTE I've noticed. When you say turn down the the t.c. snout, do you mean it's too long? Something a machine shop would do? If youl'd like, I can give you the G rated version of how I got my name.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Daddywags
Senior User
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.... I understand C4 trannies eat less power than C6's. Where does the FMX fit into that picture?

Quick Reply: Y block to fmx auto transmission