1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

1966 Crew Cab (rarity, prices)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL Matt...............Did you get to the rear doors yet? I ended up doing mine as a suicide style as the cab back is somehow bent like and S and i could not get the stock hinges to work. Built entirely new doors. I took Wyatt and Chad up to look at that one you bought even tho they have the expertise to rebuild it they did not have the room that the project would commit to.

If you need i have the hinges and can send them to you as spares...

The end is near can finally see the light. If i had found a 4x4 chassis i owuld be putting it on one but i found the 79 F150 Trailer Special and traded a broken garden tractor for it.

Garbz

Old 03-04-2005, 04:29 PM
83turboranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got specifics

Alright fellas. I got some specs on the Crew Cab I want...

The guy has two and said he wants to sell one and keep the other, he didn't seem to care which one he keeps or sells. I'll post what I know about both...unfortunately he didn't say if they were 4X4's, which would be a big deal for me...

Crew Cab
F-350
manufactured in Minesota
complete cab
single wheel and one dually
17X25 tires
5 bolt wheels
all four doors have no dents
only minor surface rust on body
needs cab mounts
no beds
352ci 4 speed manual
glass is all good

single wheel has engine on back of truck
dually will start and run

He's asking $1700 for the single wheel base that doesn't run
He's asking $2500 for the dually that runs

What do you all think of these and their prices? I don't know if I can afford one right now, but I'm considering one and just would like your input on these. Thanks so much.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
TremecGT
Senior User
Sounds a little steep for "kits" to me, but its all in what someone is willing to pay!

Old 03-04-2005, 11:10 PM
83turboranger
New User
"kits"?? what do you mean? I'm pretty sure they're the real thing. Why do you say that?

Last edited by 83turboranger; 03-04-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
TremecGT
Senior User
I ment that they seem to be incomplete from the description you gave. Not to say that they could not be built on a budget, but they sound like they need a substantial amount of work to make road worthy. A bed in good shape is going to be at least $500 to $1000. Cab mounts are no big deal unless they are rusted away, requiring some good welding skills. If they have been sitting you can figure an expensife F-350 brake job all around... It gets expensive really quickly! I too love the crew cabs and always keep my eye out for one! I would consider the single tire rear axle one myself, easier to put a bed on. Also inquire if they are short or long beds. Take a look at them and see if you can talk him down some, never hurts to ask! Good luck!

Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 AM
fomocoloco
Senior User
i know where a 1965 crewcab is here locally in kansas. i considered buying it last year but i need another project like a another hole in my head. i have inspected it. it is a shortbed crew. bed is decent. not perfect. body is not bad. will need some work as they always will. headliner is in pieces. truck did start and run. 6 cylinder 4 speed. the railroad bought crewcabs and used them here. this truck is an old rr truck. i posted about this truck last year but noone seemed interested.

jim

Old 03-05-2005, 09:52 AM
83turboranger
New User
well thanks for the advice...anymore info or advice would be great...especailly what you think of the pricing...Thanks

Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Matt66
Senior User
Garbz
Have not gotten to the rear doors yet. They are actually in ok shape. You say you built new doors, what did you do about the silly triangle they have on there that replaces the vent window? A couple months back ClassicTrucks had a pretty neat brand x crew cab and the guy did a really nice job with the rear doors. (and everthing else for that matter, didn't suicide them though).
Matt

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Matt

I used the front section from the crown doors and mated it to a new cut down full door section. I left the v in place. I added a section from the old doors to the top of the door near the B pillar to continue the reveal around to the window.

I have to lead the b post higher to follow the reval on the top of the door as it does the funky off-setting drop to the back door. raising this will fix that.

Also had to substantially build up the edge as the door tucks in at the top curve. I put a strip of 1/8x3/4 mild steel steel strip along the entire front edge of the door to stiffen up and get rid of the 2 layers visible on the stock doors. I full welded this and then ground the edge flush, this allows me to not have any bondo on the leading edge to crack off if dinged. this also gave me a good base to put a seal on as the factory front seal leaves a lot to be desired.

I am in the process of making the passenger door now and willl incorporate the things i have learned by trial and much error into it with extra reinforcment.

I tell ya its the little details the are the killer, like the door handle and how to get it attached when switching to the front. or to get it to open the latch...

Garbz

Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
shiny
7th Gear
Eh Matt,
Any updates on your crew build?
I have a couple of em and a extracab too.
Details on the other slick channel.

Email me some pics of your if you can

shiny@waybackgarage.com

-Shiny

Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Shiney

Matt sold his crews.....Same as i sold my 66 Suicide crew.

Post is from 2005.....0ver three years ago.....

Garbz

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
shiny
7th Gear
Eh Garbz,
I realized how old the thread was just thought there might be an update,which is what you gave eh.

-Shiny

Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
masterqi
Senior User
eh eh eh

Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
natecousineau
Freshman User
66 crewcab

I'm kind of late to the conversation, but I have two of those crewcabs up here in anchorage alaska. I bought a 66 f350 from the son of the original owner. It's got 58k original miles. It's got some rust, but is complete and all original...down to the fomoco stickers on the starter. I also have a 64 2 door crewcab which is pretty rare. In 64, the factory wasn't making them yet, so they were contracted out to local bodyshops by ford when one was ordered.

Supposedly ford was trying to compete with Dodge in the crewcab market. I bought the 64 from the original owner who purchased a longbed from Friendly Ford in Anchorage. I have the original title that is dated 1969, when he paid off the loan. The front seat folds up on the passenger side to let the passengers into the back seat.

The people in the backseat have slider windows in place of back doors. I had found that one first before finding the four door and like the four door better, so the 2 door is for sale. I'd like to get $1500 for it. If anyone is interested, email me and I can send some pics.

I'm not going to lie, it needs work, but you'll probably never see a 2 door again! my email is natecousineau@hotmail.com. Drop a line!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
carhartted
Freshman User
That is pretty sweet. I have a factory 65 crew cab up in Fairbanks. It has been converted to four wheel drive with a Dana 60 from a 84 one ton. It has a 460 but I just got a cummins 5.9 for it yesterday. I plan on starting th swap in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: 1966 Crew Cab (rarity, prices)