Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Reload this Page >

PCV Vacuum leak at Intake -- cracked 90* rubber Elbow - Cheap and easy fix!

Notices

PCV Vacuum leak at Intake -- cracked 90* rubber Elbow - Cheap and easy fix!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by o13102 View Post
By the way, that 90 Degree hose on the back of the intake is called the PCV End Assembly.

The Dorman HELP! brand has the part - I just picked it up from the local Advanced Auto for under $2.

The part number is 46017 - hope this helps someone out.
This is extremely helpful----incredibly so in fact! Just found them listed on Amazon too but for about $11 each. Still not a bad thing to carry or keep handy in the garage.

Thanks for posting that info!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:08 PM
ahealy
New User
ahealy is starting off with a positive reputation.
PCV with 3 "connections"

Hi All,

The PCV valve with 3 "connections" mentioned by some of the forum members is actually a standard PCV valve with a small u-shape pipe clipped to the body of the PCV valve.

You can remove the clip, drop the PCV valve from the small u-shape pipe and reassemble with the new PCV valve. You need to disconnect the electrical connector as previously described, but not the hoses to the small u-shaped pipe.

Pictures :
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ctureid=137004
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ctureid=137005
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ctureid=137006

Have fun...

Last edited by ahealy; 08-24-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 10-28-2014, 12:38 AM
78_79ford
Senior User
78_79ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys, sorry for the late post. I was noticing my 4.6 Aviator seemed to be sluggish today, and I notice a hissing noise, almost like a vacuum leak. Would that vacuum leak caused by the pcv valve cause sub-par acceleration? I'm going to check the pcv valve in the morning. is there more than one pcv valve.hose on these 4.6 V-8's?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Atlcam88
New User
Atlcam88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
so i had a P171 code checked this PCV line and sure enough the elbow was corroded and broke off completely. mine is the heated one which you can tell right off the bat because it is "y"ed right at the PCV valve thats in the valve cover... long story short i replaced it and now that i have my 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4L put back together i am now getting codes P0300 and P0305. weird thing is there is no CEL light on but i feel a slight vibration at 20 mph and then it bogs down and starts vibrating bad at 60 mph... any thoughts? i didn't touch any coils or wires when i took my plenum apart to access this PCV line going to the back of my intake... any and all help is much appreciated...

Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
rstevens
New User
rstevens is starting off with a positive reputation.
I fixed mine up great with 5/8 heater hose and a Plastic Dorman PCV elbow (Part number 47043) for a GM Vehicle. The 5/8 hose just acts as a connector, my assembly is now pretty much plastic butted against metal at the throttle body and butted to the plastic PCV line on the other end.

this will last longer than the OEM part, mine degraded and fell apart the first time, the 2nd one collapsed, its a $30 assembly from the Ford Dealer, this cost me $3 and took 10 minutes, Use some silicone spray to slide the 5/8 hose over the fittings.

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 PM
martinek
New User
martinek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok. I've been having a PO171 and PO174 code for a year now. I have systematically changed ALL the hoses and have even added clamps on the entire PCV system. It's all new. Each time I replaced a hose, it was fine for about two weeks then back again. This time, I replaced the rear elbow on the back of the engine with the proper one and it worked again for two weeks. Now the check engine light is lit again and the two codes are back along with the idling rough and stall outs. As I've stated, from the elbow in the back of the engine all the way to the PCV valve has been replaced and clamps added and it's all brand new. The only thing I haven't changed is the PCV valve itself. Any suggestions?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:11 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
We'd suggest you identify what you're working on.

Then, go replace the PCV Valve. Use ONLY a Motorcraft.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:09 AM
davester250
Elder User
davester250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rstevens View Post
I fixed mine up great with 5/8 heater hose and a Plastic Dorman PCV elbow (Part number 47043) for a GM Vehicle. The 5/8 hose just acts as a connector, my assembly is now pretty much plastic butted against metal at the throttle body and butted to the plastic PCV line on the other end.

this will last longer than the OEM part, mine degraded and fell apart the first time, the 2nd one collapsed, its a $30 assembly from the Ford Dealer, this cost me $3 and took 10 minutes, Use some silicone spray to slide the 5/8 hose over the fittings.
Yeah, that's what really does the job...using GM parts!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:02 PM
martinek
New User
martinek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry. It's the one in my icon, a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4X4, 5.4L Triton V8.
I'm going to go and get the PCV valve today.

One other thing I noticed is that once it's warmed up and I shut it down and let it sit for a little while, when I start it back up I no longer have the problem. Then I can drive with one foot. Otherwise I have to keep one foot on the brake while I depress the accelerator pedal keeping rpm's up while at lights.