A Long Shot, but can I get a second gear..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:28 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Long Shot, but can I get a second gear..

on my AOD? The shifter goes from 1 then D then OD. I would really like second. Do they make a valve body for the tranny that would allow for manual shifting, and getting a second gear shift point? A long shot I know but I am going to be installing a center console shifter in the Bronco eventually and think it would be nice.
Al

Old 02-25-2005, 07:47 PM
mike93
Elder User
Have now idea about this one. I have all ways wondered about that too. Seems like manualy selecting 2nd would be better. Manual 2nd is used more often than manual 1st. A manual valve body would be the way to go. Go thru some of the links in this forum.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you drive an AOD to 30-40mph then move the shift lever to 1, the transmission will shift to second gear and stay there til you slow down to about 25mph. You can drive in second all you want. I used to demo this technique for people who used their vehicle to tow. This is an approved Ford manuever.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:58 AM
ALSAIR
Elder User
rclarke, it's not that I don't believe ya, it's just that my truck has been sitting for two years during an engine re-build. It's finally on the road. My luck I would do that and she would drop into first and blow the tranny. I will try it after I get more than just a 150 miles on the re-build. I still would like to have a second for up-shifting purposes. When I take the truck on trail rides, and normal cruising speed is about 25 MPH, 1st is to low, and D, or 3rd the gearing takes me out of my power range. Did the mustang with the AOD, or tha Crown Vic have a second on the column??
Al