1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1984 F150 v-8 swap

Old 10-14-2001, 10:02 PM
racedvl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Ok, here's the deal. 1984 F150 2x4 4.9L. Engine is shot! I can buy a 1988 Grand Marquis 5.0L FI, fairly low miles that is a slavage title for $400, runs great. I wanna trasplant the 5.0L into the F150. Now, my questions. I know that car and truck oil pans are diffrent. But would a car oil pan clear in a truck? Are the towers(for lack of a better desciption) that the mounts bolt to diffrent from a 4.9L to a 5.0L? I am planning to use the car intake and what not. Also can i get a late model F150 gas tank that has the fuel injection set up? Will the pressure from a truck pump, be the same as a car? I know the intakes are diffrent. But do they take the same pressure. I know that someone out there has done a simalar swap, I need all the hints I can get!!! If any of you guys could help, it would be great! Thanks.

Old 10-15-2001, 12:37 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
1984 F150 v-8 swap

I believe since you are going efi you would probably need to setup a return line for the efi pump which is external I believe so that is good you should be able to use the cars fuel pump. Just get a truck oil pan and that should take care of that. I believe all you need is the motor mounts and bellhousing and it should bolt up to your tranny. Although the bolt pattern may be the same cause a efi 8 with bolt to a efi 6 tranny and they do not have a bellhousing that can be changed, bellhousing/ tranny is all one unit on newer trannies, so you may not need the bellhousing. I would however recommend using the 8's tranny cause your six tranny may not like it very long, and it has been used with the 8 the 302 may find the weak link in the 6's tranny real quick. Just a thought, hopfully someone will jump in and give you more concrete knowledge although I believe what I have given is pretty accurate, good luck hope your project comes together nicely

Old 10-15-2001, 09:19 PM
lastchance
Senior User
1984 F150 v-8 swap

I took a 302 out of an 84 F150 and swapped in a 300 6 (both carbed). Of course you'll have to go with a bigger radiator to go to the V-8. It bolted up to my 4 spd OD tranny bell (from the 302) without any problems. You'll have to remove the 6's engine mounts from the top of the crossmember, 4 bolts each side. The V'8's mounts bolt behind the crossmember. I'd make a trip to the salvage yard and get the mounts, oil pan, fan shroud, and throttle cable from a V8 truck. That should give you a good start to get it in.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:06 PM
racedvl
New User
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Ok, I put the money on the car. So, this thing is gonna be a go. I talked to the bone yard and he said the frame brackets from the car are the same as the ones that 302 F150's used. Sounds a little goofy, but I'll give it a shot.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1984 F150 v-8 swap

I sure wish I had my camera the last time I went to the scrap yard, man.

You're going to find that the engine mounts ON THE MOTOR...
(backspace) ON THE MOTOR (the rubber part) is the same.

But THE METAL FRAME MOUNTS are in a different location on the frame.

I am doing a similar swap, and I can tell you this from carefully looking over a number of these trucks to see what mounts bolt up where, and what style they are.

Big-blocks and inline 6's have a mount for the motor mount bottom bolt to go through that is dead center on top of the cross member.

V-8's and V-6's have a different frame mount perch that bolts onto the back of the cross member, because the motor mounts are physically located closer to the transmission. (S'welp me, I swear)

The GOOD NEWS, is that the frame/crossmember already has holes in it for both types of mounts, but you'll have to rob a set from the scrapyard. It shouldn't cost much.

That was the one worry I had going from a V-6 to a 302, but thankfully the mounts were the same in my case.

One of the things I love about these trucks so much is that 99% of the parts are interchangeable!

Old 10-16-2001, 07:40 AM
slikness
Posting Guru
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Ford also sells the motor mounts that mount on the frame. You will have a rivet on the driver's side that will cause problems with installing the mount flush to the cross member. You can either drill this rivet out and replace it with a grade 8 bolt, or drill a larger hole in the mount to allow the mount to fit over the rivet. Your radiator needs to be changed to a larger radiator and the transmission cooler as well as the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides from the 4.9. The C6 tranny works fine with the 302 and the bolt patterns are the same. You need to get a rear sump oil pan and JEGS and Summit Racing both sell the pan and pickup for around $130. If you have cruise control, you'll either lose it or at least have to move it. You will need to pretty much fabricate a new throttle linkage setup. And you will need to get a cowl for the additional space between the radiator and the fan.

I would guess the wiring harness is going to cause the most problems. You will have to remove the entire wiring harness from your donor car and then figure out what pieces you need to run your EFI. The fuel system will also be a challenge. You need to run a higher pressure pump and most fuel pumps for EFIs are mounted inside the gas tank. I don't have a clue how the return line works.

Good luck,

'82 F150 2WD w/351W (orig 300 I6)
Slik

Old 10-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Huh? I only paid $79 for my pan (it's a mid-sump, BTW) at a local parts store. The pickup tube was very little extra.

My own answer to the manifold was to go with an Edelbrock unit, and that only ran me about $80 or so...
I think they have manifolds for EFI too.

Call around to a few parts places and see what a new EFI control would cost, it might pay off later, especially if it's not too expensive.

On the distributor, a duraspark II setup is cheap and simple. A whole new distributor is about $50, and the control module is $14. The wiring is easy to find and setup.

Old 10-16-2001, 01:11 PM
slikness
Posting Guru
1984 F150 v-8 swap

I've never seen a Ford mid-sump, but I know I needed the rear sump or actually double sump. The front sump was simply to house the oil pump.

Slik

Old 10-16-2001, 10:19 PM
racedvl
New User
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Ok, I'm on a budget, so I'm planning to reuse all parts from the car, intake, distributer, ect.. I was kinda hoping that the car dual sump oil pan would clear the front I-beams. But if it does not, that's ok. I'm actually not too woried about the fuel pump. I'm gonna get the specs on the Mercury engine, and get a externaly mounted pump aftermarket. I know that a shop manual of some sort for the mecury is gonna be a great help, exp for wiring diagrams. Thanks, any other tips would be great.

Old 10-17-2001, 05:09 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
1984 F150 v-8 swap

I did some reading up on the EFI system, also on the ignition. You'll need to figure which ignition/fuel injection the truck was supposed to have that year. In brief, there was duraspark II, and then around the time of that year group you may have gotten duraspark III. Duraspark II also had an MCU version on some 4.9 liter engines...

The merc most likely had the EEC-IV ignition, which was developed for EFI engines. Compared to duraspark III, it's a lot simpler.

It has an EEC-IV module, an "E-TYPE" coil, and simplified distributor. Inside the distributor should be a hall-effect setup instead of a crank position sensor mounted by the vibration damper. If you have a duraspark III setup on the 302, you can spot it by the vibration damper having four spikes on the seal side of it, and a pickup bracket mounted next to it on the timing cover for the crank position sensor.
That setup is easily bypassed...

There were two fuel pump setups for the EFI system, one had a low pressure pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump mounted in the frame - that's the one you probably should have. In 1990, there was a single high pressure pump mounted in the tank, it may be possible to retro fit that unit.

You'll need a good manual so that you can track down all the components you need to find for the system.

Outta time, gotta get ready for work, man

Old 10-17-2001, 07:01 PM
racedvl
New User
1984 F150 v-8 swap

Wow, you were really reading into that! Where are you getting this reading? I think I might need some of that stuff. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:02 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
1984 F150 v-8 swap

You should get a rear sump pan with one drain plug. I read in here somewhere that you can use the double sump pan, but it has two drain plugs and you can't get to the front drain plug after it's in the truck.

Old 10-18-2001, 07:20 AM
slikness
Posting Guru
1984 F150 v-8 swap

That's true on the front oil plug, but you need to make sure you have enough room for the oil pump which sits on the front of the oil pan.

Slik

Old 10-18-2001, 06:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
1984 F150 v-8 swap

The correct oil pans are around, because the 5.0 was an option for that size truck. When I swapped in a 1986 5.0 into my 1980 f150, I used the rear sump pan, and it didn't have the dipstick in the pan. But the double sump 5.0 was already set up with the dipstick in the block, rear drivers side. Now, when I took that motor out I put in a 79 351w. I had to tell the junkyards to go to a 1983 since that was the first year they had a 351w in a f150. The one I found had the dipstick in the pan, good thing since the 79 came out of a car with the dipstick up front, which I blocked off.

Old 10-23-2001, 11:00 PM
quads
Senior User
1984 F150 v-8 swap

You Will also need the computer set up from the Merc. it has all the figures in it to set up to the injectors and maintain the pressure so to speak and is it multi port ot throttle body they used both
Godbless

Marc Conley
Morganton Nc
82 F-100
W/302

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 F150 v-8 swap