1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fellow FTE'r shoots self

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Phoenixson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH MY GOD! Did you guys know all along that he was THE Hunter S. Thompson? I had no idea. I always chucked to myself when I saw his posts because I remembered the famous books, but never imagined it was the same guy. He will be missed, and my heart goes out to his family.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:09 AM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
El Cabron, I did not take it like you flamed me or anything like that at all. It just kind of got me thinking about it and I did not want to give off the wrong impression or anything.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
Unhappy Props to Associated Press Online...

heres an article i figured id put on here, i dont know if you've seen it or not...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife Says Thompson Discussed Suicide

Associated Press/AP Online

DENVER - Anita Thompson still slips into the present tense when she talks about her marriage to the legendary writer Hunter S. Thompson, and how her life plunged into a nightmare when he committed suicide last weekend.

"He says he has a perfect life now, he loves me very much, he's writing well," she said in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday.

Thompson, best known for wildly original books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," began saying that suicide wasn't a dishonorable thing a few months before he shot himself in the head, his wife said.

"He feels at the peak of his life right now, has a very successful career, has a network of perfect friends," she said. "If he quit now, he would feel he was a champion."

Anita Thompson said that although she had not thought he would take his life so soon, she had argued furiously against suicide.

"I threatened him, 'I'm out of here,' I wouldn't mourn, I would hate him," she said. "That's my biggest regret. I'm so sorry, Hunter. Yeah, that's my biggest regret."

Days after losing her husband, Anita Thompson talks calmly, if sometimes tearfully, about the moment he swept her off her feet, the brilliance she saw in his writing, her plans to keep alive his legacy and the love letters he wrote her that help ease the pangs of grief and regret.

When a mutual friend introduced them about five years ago, "I got butterflies," she said. Soon they were spending hours together, compiling his letters into a book.

"It was wonderful, just so wonderful. I fell in love with him right away." Despite his cultivated image as a drug-driven wild man who invented "gonzo journalism," she saw something else: "This man is not a crazy gonzo freak, this man is a serious man of letters, a Southern gentleman."

Hunter Thompson, 67, and his 32-year-old wife lived together at Thompson's home in the hamlet of Woody Creek near Aspen for three years and married April 24, 2003.

On Sunday, they talked on the phone when she was at a health club and he was at home. He asked her to come help him on his writing. He set the phone on the tabletop, still on, and she heard clicks that sounded like he had started typing.

She thought it was a gesture of love, because he could usually warm any chill between them that way: "All he'd have to do was start writing, and I would start melting at the knees."

Now she thinks the clicking noise was her husband loading and cocking the .45-caliber handgun he used to take his life. She said she didn't hear a gunshot before she hung up.

In the first hours after his death, when she rushed back to Woody Creek, she felt horror and then anger. "When I saw his body, that took a lot of the anger away," she said.

Now she is working with friends and family on celebrations of Thompson's life and moving ahead with previously launched plans for the Hunter S. Thompson Foundation, dedicated to helping people in the prison system "who don't belong there."

She is also rereading the stacks of love letters he sent her. The last one came in early March, when she had fled to her parents' home in Fort Collins. "He did something rude, which is really common for Hunter, and I needed an apology letter," she said.

She read the last line, a paraphrase of "Carmelita," a song by one of his favorite artists, Warren Zevon:

"I feel calm, sleepy, Carmelita. Hold me, Carmelita. LOCVE" - then he respelled the word, without bothering to remove the misspelling - "LOVE soon come HST."

He signed the letter and drew a tiny heart.

"Hunter, thank you very much for leaving me all these letters," Anita Thompson said. "I'm so lucky that way."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sad deal...but it sounds like it wasnt a surprise to anyone...

Old 02-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Apparently, he is still posting from beyond the grave then
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...86#post2444786

This will sit well with all those that belive in ghosts

Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked at his location (the one that is listed on top right corner of post) and it says between heaven and hell.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:26 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 51dueller
I looked at his location (the one that is listed on top right corner of post) and it says between heaven and hell.
It also says "rumors of my death may not be what they seem " so there might be the possibility this is not the same person.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 51dueller
Good eye 51 but you missed the meeting.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
hmmm......i noticed that "between heaven and hell" thing too....i just dont remember what it said before....oh well, that settles it, Hunter S. Thompson the writer is dead, so this other character is just a "wannabe".....

oh and what "meeting" fomoko?....dont worry 51, i must have missed it too, haha

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-27-2005 at 09:03 AM. Reason: LG