General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Wont let me install Norton

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
thunderguns71
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wont let me install Norton

Ive got a computer that when I try and install Norton AntiVirus on it, it wont let me. keeps telling me that some files are missing or somthing, Ill have to look at it again I cant remeber right now. Is there a certain thing that is causing this or a way around it. Im going to try and install McAfee on it next and see what happens. Just does anyone have any idea about this. Thanks

Old 02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you trying to load it from a download? you may have lost some files that way. Norton only gives you 60 days from date of purchase to download if you did not opt. for the extended download time(1 year). Also when asking computer questions, please give info on your computer like, operating system,(XP, 2000, 98, etc) type, processor, so that we have some idea of what you have.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
i paid $70 for the norton internet security package and had nothing but problems with it, on top of that symentic corp has no customer service at all (online or by phone) i finally uninstalled it and threw it out. i still have some norton program fragment( that i cant figure out how to get rid of) that i have to click threw every time i restart the computer. i would stay as far away from norton as you can

Old 02-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
I have installed Nortons on quite a few differant computers and have not had problems with any of them and various computer magazine regularly rank them as their anti-virus software of choice.
chances are if you don't know how to "get rid" of what is left of Nortons on your computer, that does not say much about your computer ability.
Norton Internet security has firewall and privacy software in it, not knowing what your changing and what you allow the software filters to do can and will cause "nothing but problems".

Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
I didn't just walk away from Norton. . . I drove away!

As said previously, Norton tries to make your system proprietary to Norton.

I just paid $39.95 + $4.00 for extended downloads, for PC-cillin Internet Security 2005, for THREE PCs!!! (Not a typo!! 3 PCs. Three serial numbers.)
I've been using PC-cillin for several years, now. Love it!
No headaches, no install problems. . . smooth install.

As for Norton, you might have to uninstall each component, separately.
When I abandoned Norton, I did a re-format and started from scratch.
(Be sure to back-up data first!!!)

Just my 2¢.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Crash687
chances are if you don't know how to "get rid" of what is left of Nortons on your computer, that does not say much about your computer ability.
if i wanted your opinion about any of my abilities to do anything...i would have asked for it!

Last edited by wlihntr; 02-15-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:22 AM
lcampbell
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash, editing registry files requires knowledge that most people don't have and don't need. it'll put people like me out of work.
Wlihntr, regardless of what magazines get paid for promoting hardware or software, free is better.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 AM
jhromy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crash687
I have installed Nortons on quite a few differant computers and have not had problems with any of them and various computer magazine regularly rank them as their anti-virus software of choice.
Norton Internet security has firewall and privacy software in it, not knowing what your changing and what you allow the software filters to do can and will cause "nothing but problems".

Admin note: By-passing the language filters and name calling can result in taking a forced vacation from FTE. Removed. <!-- dont be an @$$ dude --> he came here for help...not everybody is great with computers and there is nothing wrong with that

Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
STEER CLEAR OF NORTON. It is one of the absolute WORST software suites on the planet. I use Sygate personal firewall (www.sygate.com) and AVG Anit Virus (www.grisoft.com). A cousin of mine recently ran AVG on his supposedly protected computer (has norton on it) found something like 58 new viruses...

Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Me Dually
Junior User
I had the Norton system for a couple of years. I had some minor problems with the system that I learned to live with because you can't get a hold of anybody by email or phone unless you want to spend alot of time diciphering their email inquiry system. The last straw came at renewal and I couldn't read the small print clearly enough and signed up for something I didn't want. I uninstalled the system, switched over to McAfee with firewall and have no problems.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:28 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
I had problems with Norton before when I tried to install a new version. Kept telling me that I had to remove all the old Norton files......which I did and it still wouldn't install. I went and bought McAfee and it worked great. I just recently purchased Norton 2005 for my new machine.....and it kept asking me to activate it every few days. I downloaded a patch for that from Symantec......but in the future.....it's McAfee for me.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 AM
lcampbell
Elder User
Sygate is a way cool program that we use here in our department. we also use lavasoft adaware se personal, and avast antivirus. all free with free upgrades. 'nuff said. good luck with the box.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wlihntr
if i wanted your opinion about any of my abilities to do anything...i would have asked for it!
a bit of an apology is in order, The thought I was tring to convey is that too many times people are too quick to blame a program that they are trying to load not realizing that there are other programs and/or issues that become aparent when loading new software. Then transpire to tell people that product is a pile of poo.

also Thank you to the admin.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 PM
thunderguns71
More Turbo
Well ill see what I can do tonight and see what other problems I have , thanks for the help so far

Old 02-16-2005, 08:05 PM
nightowl_52
Elder User
It's AVG Free for me. Been using it for some time now and haven't had any problems. It even caught a java class virus that was buried in another file. I can't understand how some peoples computers get so many viruses in the first place. I just worked on a friends PC she brought to me to check out because she installed the Netscape internet software and it wouldn't work. She said she tried to uninstall AOL, but couldn't. I found that there was Norton A/V on it that must not have been working, no spyware program, and no firewall. After I got all of the AOL and Norton stuff off of it I installed AVG Free, AdAware SE,Spyware Blaster, and ZoneAlarm. I ran the AVG and AdAware and between the two programs they found over "800" viruses, trojans, malware and spywares on the drive, "808" to be exact. They also cleaned about "200" malware keys out of the registry and I installed RegCleaner that found another hundred of so and cleaned them out. I can't believe that computer even booted up. After all was said and done, the Netscape internet program popped up and worked fine without having to reinstall it. I tried to make the computer as self-maintaining as possible since she doesn't know as much as I thought she did about computers.

Last edited by nightowl_52; 02-16-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Wont let me install Norton